RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got around to doing some more modifications to Yoshi. Havent seen many sidecars on these bikes so of course I had to go that route!

Its not done yet but it was such a nice day, plus Bowser is being a little punk and stopped running, got things tweeked for the most part so the bike runs straight down the road. Never got it over 30 today just some round the block stints and stopping to adjust things.

I made a subframe and bolted it to the bike in a few places, the rear shock mount, the rear passenger pegs and stock muffler mounts, front foot pegs, front motor mounts.

Anyways I do have some questions for you folks that are wayyyy more knowledgeable than me. The sidecar swing arm and shock are stock warrior but I took out all the linkages/dogbones on the shock. It seems so light weight like the spring seems really light. Do those linkages help some how mechanically to make the shock stiffer, thinking something like how a block and tackle makes a heavy load feel light?

Also I want to stick a rear brake caliper on the sidecar. I was thinking to just use a longer banjo bolt on the rear master cylinder and double it up there. So one brake line to the bike rear brake and 1 to the sidecar brake. I know there is something to do with sizing of master cylinders and all so you think this would be an issue?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I've got to follow this. Very interesting. Wish I could help, as far as knowledge goes, but I got nothing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
I know Rudy was looking to do a sidecar but you finally did it. I know you will have to play with bore size on the MC and then calipers......maybe a call to Galfer or Spiegler as I am sure they have a equation to calculate what is needed.

·
Premium Member
8,516 Posts
…. The sidecar swing arm and shock are stock warrior but I took out all the linkages/dogbones on the shock. It seems so light weight like the spring seems really light. Do those linkages help some how mechanically to make the shock stiffer...……..?
  • Yes they do Monty. The Forces lost can be calculated using Trigonometry. A single line cad dwg with angles, pivot points etcetera would be req'd << AlanH
Also I want to stick a rear brake caliper on the sidecar. I was thinking to just use a longer banjo bolt on the rear master cylinder and double it up there. So one brake line to the bike rear brake and 1 to the sidecar brake. I know there is something to do with sizing of master cylinders and all so you think this would be an issue?
  • Monty, Not a good idea imho. Hydraulic Fluid like Electricity flows to the point of least resistance. Also, the long brake line, to the side car, will have a negative affect on the height of the rear brake pedal because of the additional cubic inches of brake fluid. Using a small steel brake line where possible will help some too.
  • Up sizing the Rear MC piston diameter would resolve the low pedal but the Effective Forces will be lower at the caliper pistons because the generated hydraulic pressure (PSI) will be lower with the larger bore MC that has more square inches.
    • There is info available in the forum by this writer regarding ramifications when modifying these component sizes and mechanical Forces.
  • I would expect that the side car could use a smaller diameter rotor, caliper piston and pads as well as its own MC to help balance the load. Also a proportional and metering device.
  • If all you want to do is go around the block or to the corner grocery store then anything will work. When it comes to real everyday riding and a panic stop then you'll want to properly design the system for the worst condition imo.
  • An electrically operated brake might be an easier approach but perhaps more money. Don't know!
When time permits I'll see if I can dig-up the old threads if you want. Just let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When time permits I'll see if I can dig-up the old threads if you want. Just let me know.
Thanks for the info Alan! Always good to hear from you.

I have been talking to guys on a sidecar forum and asking opinions and in general getting pointers and tips on everything from driving to set up to brakes.

It seems there are 3 camps when it comes to brakes on the sidecar.
no brakes
brakes that are separate with a separate brake pedal and MC
and those that tap off their bikes rear brakes to the side car brake

No matter which camp they all agree the sidecar brake needs to be the "weak" brake.

I think for the time being I am going to go with no sidecar brake. I just took the sidecar off so I can finish some gussets and other loose ends.

In the future, if I decide to stay with a sidecar, I think to try to go with a brake that is tapped off the bikes rear brake and use a proportioning valve, like this one Wilwood 260-8419: Proportioning Valve Knob Adjust | JEGS

Its all an experiment and learning experience for me so I am open to any links you have time to dig up. I am going to research some electric brakes also.

Thanks for the info on the rear shock also! I had a sneaky suspicion that the dogbones somehow "helped" the spring but alas that was just me looking at things and thinking. I have no real knowledge in the area to say for sure it did.

·
Premium Member
7,644 Posts
have to follow this one. wish I could help. I would check out bikes with dual disc brakes and see how they are hooked up and then go the same route. Maybe put a proportioning valve , one that is adjustable in so you can adjust the two rear brakes

·
Premium Member
8,516 Posts
Monty, I suspect that the enclosed links & info is premature but might be enlightening even though some pertain to the front brakes. I enclosed the spreadsheet, just in case the link is broken.
This Spreadsheet was concocted by me for Erik aka Midnight_Run as I recall.
If you have any questions feel free to contact me!

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about finding one of Urals and just mount it to the bike?

Just throwing as an idea ;)
I have a Ural and another side car I can attach to it or another 7 bikes I could attach a side car to.. Thats not the point. I see everyone putting wide tires and polishing things its the same thing over and over. Then debating about what oil to use and what tires are best and so on and so on.

I want to do something different. If for no other reason than to see if I am inventive enough to get it done. This bike and I have been all over the world and its time to change it up. Will it work out long term, I dont know. Will it be an adventure and I learn a lot, yup.

Anyone can go buy a Ural or what ever and "customize" it with mass produced aftermarket parts. I want an actual custom bike thats used not stroked and polished so it looks cool but is a work horse and a blast to ride.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Monty, I suspect that the enclosed links & info is premature but might be enlightening even though some pertain to the front brakes. I enclosed the spreadsheet, just in case the link is broken.
This Spreadsheet was concocted by me for Erik aka Midnight_Run as I recall.
If you have any questions feel free to contact me!
Thanks AlanH!!! I am sifting through all the info as we speak!

I just finished welding everything and adding some gussets. I got a work trip for a week then back on it then! Work meetings will be hard as i daydream how to tackle the breaks! :)

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well got the sidecar frame gusseted and painted up with some truck bed liner. Cant say I am to happy with it. 2 days of 70F temperature and the bed liner just never really set up... Still havent done anything for a side car brake. Had the nephew and niece help me turn some old couch cushions into a seat in the side car. May not be cool but will work for the time being and maybe they will learn a thing or 2.

Would like to get it painted but I have to many things going on... So will stay as it is for a while and ride when I can!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts