RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic is for site suggestions. Anything you can think of that may improve the site. Most suggestions here will have to be handled by Admin/Vertical Scope so give it some time for a response. I can't promise anything you suggest will be implemented but this is a good way to bring it to V-Scope's attention. I have made this topic sticky to the Site Issues forum so it will always stay at the top so it will be easily found.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
that sounds like an auction , everything for sale has a sticker or sign or something stating a price . to what advantage would it be to not have a price listed if I may ask? with no price people will have to contact you to find out that your price is more then they want to spend ,where if it has a price it already eliminates that . just wondering , btk572
he said he wants people to have to have a price up on the ads, somehow make it mandatory before posting!

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is mandatory. You can ask people to read rules all you want, doesn't mean they will. I agree, though, a way to force them to do so would be much better. I hate having to police those ads as well. Doing something like that would require changes to the forum software. Not sure Vertical Scope will do that. So for now it's up to all of us. If you see an ad that doesn't have a price click on the yellow exclamation point under the poster's name and report it.

We will then give them a day to correct it or we'll remove the post. If someone does it continually, we'll remove them.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Create a field that MUST be completed that would list a number and a check for best offer.

Also, make it so ads expire in 30 or 60 days. If the item is still for sale after the time limit, the member can create a new post or renew the current post.

·
Administrator
27,870 Posts
This thread brought to mind some past conversations on this topic. There are forums where ads auto-expire and they disappear from view because if they were left in view it would still be an ad. Some have said the down-side of making ads disappear is forum members lose the handy "who sold what and for how much" info, and that can be handy for references about sellers and buyers, and also in many cases to compare condition and price to future buying opportunities. The system has 'holes' in it so often the info is not all there but some info is better than none. Speaking only for myself, I think that might possibly be one reason why the system evolved to where it is. I think maybe the extra effort we all take to remind sellers to post price and condition is a small price to pay for the often-incomplete archive info housed in past free classifieds. The ads are a lot of work for moderators but as long as the system is humming along and helping members its mostly worth it to leave old ads in view when possible.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
This thread brought to mind some past conversations on this topic. There are forums where ads auto-expire and they disappear from view because if they were left in view it would still be an ad. Some have said the down-side of making ads disappear is forum members lose the handy "who sold what and for how much" info, and that can be handy for references about sellers and buyers, and also in many cases to compare condition and price to future buying opportunities.
Not suggesting that ads disappear but become locked. If the seller still wants to sell it, then they can repost/renew the ad. Otherwise, someone can PM the seller to see if the item is still for available.

·
Administrator
847 Posts
hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. The idea that there be a spot where users have to place the price for a classified post is a great idea but there is no way to implement this onto the forum. I'm sorry to all the mods but you will ahve to keep policing.

As for old sale ad. We try not to remove content from the forum even if it is old classified ads. Keeping them around helps when there is an issue between the buyer/seller as well it gives members a way to price an items worth before purchasing it.

Sorry to be a buzz kill ..
Keep on coming with the suggestions :D:cool::D

- dm, community support

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Helena, is there a why to auto lock ads after 30 or 60 days and not remove it?

·
Administrator
27,870 Posts
Auto-lock does not accomplish anything. If the ad remains visible: like an ad on a bus its still an ad. If the ad is still an ad then its better for members as a whole to have it active (open for posts). We remove old ads in certain cases but we want to NOT do that as much as possible because the archive knowledge has value to members into the future. I know the rules lean a bit the other way but its like a catch-22 so we've been taking the path that gives members the most bang even if it hits moderators hard.

I suppose we moderators could just remove all ads from view that are older than 30 days. Maybe we should consider that one more time. But we cannot be judge and jury, we need to treat all ads the same for the most part, so it comes down to remove them all or leave them all. Looking at the big picture we have been leaving them all unless other factors sway the need, and we have assumed most members would want that. Maybe we were wrong. It would be easier for us to sweep-away every ad older than 30 days than to moderate them. Maybe its a good idea.

Of course all that info would be lost to members. What do you all think is best?

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
I im sure theres nothing the forum can do about this but I wish the Motorcycle.com app would interact with the forum a bit better. It would be nice to have the ability to look at member picture galleries, a report button, forum rules, more people use this app everyday.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
you can't force people to read the rules, but can they add some kind of obvious banner at the top of the selling page. it might at least cut down the amount of "no price" ads.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I im sure theres nothing the forum can do about this but I wish the Motorcycle.com app would interact with the forum a bit better. It would be nice to have the ability to look at member picture galleries, a report button, forum rules, more people use this app everyday
I agree 100%...It's nice to have the app but I still prefer my PC when I'm home.

Sent from Motorcycle.com's Features Suck!!! Free App

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
you can't force people to read the rules, but can they add some kind of obvious banner at the top of the selling page. it might at least cut down the amount of "no price" ads.
There is a sticky at the top of the market place forum with a link to the rules. If you see someone post a topic with no price hit the report button as I've said. It only takes a second and all moderators will be notified. The offending party doesn't know who reported them or even that it was reported. As much as a problem as you all think this is, I have never gotten a report for someone who didn't list a price. We get other stuff reported all the time but not this. It's on all of us to be vigilant.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts