RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've begun to notice a slight vibration in my front brakes right before I make a complete stop. The vibration does not occur during any other riding conditions. Only when I am close to making a complete stop and it seems to last for about 2 seconds.

Are my rotors warped? Could anything be wrong with the brake line being too tight or loose?

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you recently detail your bike?
I have had the same thing happened from spraying Mothers "quick detail" on the front fender and ended up with some on the front rotors. It took about 50+ miles for the symptom to clear up but it did go away.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the same problem, I also get a bad-sounding noise with the vibration, just as I'm coming to a stop. The pad on one side is getting close, I assumed it needed a brake job, like they didn't wear evenly or something like that...

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
This is a common problem. The quick fix: remove the brake line clamps from the front fender. There seems to be a resonate frequency problem that causes this chatter. I've seen a post also where someone made different clamps that had more cushion than stock - this reportedly fixed it also. I removed mine recently. A 2 minute fix - and the chatter is gone for the first time since I bought the bike.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had the same problem.

Remove the bolts that attach the brake lines to the fender, take it out for a spin.....you'll giggle it is so easy.

I thought of about a hundred things it could be, never would've guessed that all I had to do was spin two bolts.

Others, who aren't comfortable with the lines detached, have drilled out the bolt holes and inserted rubber grommets to dampen the resonate frequency.

Resonance....made the Tacoma Narrows bridge twist like a pretzel, makes your brakes feel like they are full of dirt.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yamaha has a technical service bulletin on the problem and a repair kit available. My bike goes in Monday for the fix at no charge. I still have the extended service contract on mine. You may want to check with your dealer if you are out of warranty to see if there are any charges to fix it. [8D]
Steve

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Thanks I was wondering what that noise was too.. It interupted my smile a couple of times

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
This has come up a # of times. I had the problem a few weeks ago. Someone brought it up at the same time. There are a lot of theories. In one post, JPWarrior suggested that changing the brake fluid might help. I tried that. The owner's manual also stated that it was due. It worked and I never realized how spongy my brakes were before.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Not sure if mine is a 'vibe', it seems more like a rubbing noise? Is this the same thing ya'll talkin' about? Mine sounds like metal on metal from the front brake?

·
Registered
231 Posts
a good way to tell....sustained pressure will only cause the "vibe" to sustain

slight relief of pressure will cause it to go away, slight increase in pressure shortly after the relief (assuming you're pulling harder than you did to make if vibe in the first place) will also cause it to go away

or....just remove the bolts and go for a spin around the block

rubbing could just be the caliper dragging, it is supposed to drag a certain amount...too much drag will overheat & warp things....

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Tks Silver, I think mine is the slight drag you are talking about, I have always wondered what it was. It is slight and seems to stop when I am on the brake. I will remove the bolts anyway to see if anything changes.

Tks...

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SilverBulit

a good way to tell....sustained pressure will only cause the "vibe" to sustain

slight relief of pressure will cause it to go away, slight increase in pressure shortly after the relief (assuming you're pulling harder than you did to make if vibe in the first place) will also cause it to go away

SilverBulit, That sound like you are pumping the brakes. I changed my fluid and the vibration/noise disappeared. And I didn't realise how spongy the lefer was before.

·
Registered
231 Posts
while rolling up to a stop with regular pressure on the lever, a resonant frequency builds up into a vibration that runs throughout the front end of the bike

what I was describing was how I was able to work around the vibration (before I took out the bolts), in hopes that someone else might identify the same vibration

releasing some pressure on the brake lever was a natural reaction to avoid the vibration......but the release in pressure mid-stop forced a follow on increase in pressure just to be able to continue the original stopping distance.....the more abrupt the stop, the less time for the resonance to build, the less annoying vibration to deal with....nuff' said

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
My bike has just started doing this to me in the past two weeks after nearly 10,000 miles...wonder why it would start now[?] Oh well....as long as my brakes don't fail (They wont fail will they[?]) I'm not worried and will live with it until I get back from Lake George, then take it in to get it taken care of by the dealer being there is a service bulletin out on it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Mine just started this with over 20,000 miles on the clock.
I've been wanting to change the brake fluid so I guess now is a good time.
I'll report my findings.

Might throw some irridium plugs in there too just to see if that make the problem go away. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts