RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 XV1700PC Warrior
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapped my beat up rear sprocket for a freshly powder coated one. The sprocket was acid bathed and masked off on the teeth, to ensure the thickness of the powder coat doesn't interfere with the belt's ability to track/mesh inside the teeth.
Well, turns out the 1.2mm edges inside the rear sprocket, where the powder coat met the masking tape, made contact with the left side of the belt while I was spinning the tire by hand to track the belt and find it's alignment and slightly frayed the belt. The belt was rubbing against the outer left lip and as a result, the belt caught the line... I was able to now have the belt track into middle of the front sprocket/pulley and the belt tracks offcenter on the rear sprocket/pulley, tracking towards the inner wheel side of the sprocket. Took longer than it needed to find a point where the belt isn't rubbing/catching on the sides (as I found out the markings on swingarm aren't accurate). I ran out of time to measure and align the wheel from swingarm pivot bolt to rear axle. I will be doing that today after work, and fine tuning the alignment on all counts.
I just wanted to ask here first if this belt is safe to operate for a 600 mile trip to anf from that I am taking in 5 days to see my mom? Since it was only spun by hand, maybe a full 10 rotations with the noise of it rubbing/catching, before being corrected. And do you think I run any chance of the belt moving on the rear pulley (back towards the left lip) once everything is aligned, set, and torqued???
note: there are several very slight frays from when it caught

Thanks in advance

Pictures below are in order of the wheel rotation in 1 full turn
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive design

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Wood Rim

·
Administrator
5,931 Posts
I think after final adjustment of the belt you will be ok. The belt is a lot tougher than the powder coat for sure.

·
Premium Member
2008 XV1700PC Warrior
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think after final adjustment of the belt you will be ok. The belt is a lot tougher than the powder coat for sure.
I'm just really nervous and want to ensure both my and the bike's safety for a 600 mile trip. It's an absolute pain in the ass to get the hidden caliper bracket out and off from the wheel and swing arm without the high risk of scratching the wheel (since brake line is short from it running over the front of the swingarm) and was dreading the idea of having to replace the belt. But will definitely do it if it needs to be done. I'll for sure be keeping a close eye on it if I keep it on there after confirmed adjustment. Still iffy about it

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,312 Posts
Any chance you could loosen the belt and get in there to clean off the power coat off the inside of the pulley? For what's already been done, I'm pretty sure your belt strength hasn't been compromised. As @Gilly said, the belt is a lot tougher than the powder coat, but why not remove the potential for further issue. Just in general, these belts are known for being super tough so don't worry about it in its current state.

·
Premium Member
2008 XV1700PC Warrior
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any chance you could loosen the belt and get in there to clean off the power coat off the inside of the pulley? For what's already been done, I'm pretty sure your belt strength hasn't been compromised. As @Gilly said, the belt is a lot tougher than the powder coat, but why not remove the potential for further issue. Just in general, these belts are known for being super tough so don't worry about it in its current state.
If I bought a high rpm dremel tool, do you think it would file down that cured powder enough to safely remove it from the inside? (I did think about this idea last night. High speed dremel, small hard sand cylinder bit, steady dremel inside the belt pulley, on the interior sides. Lemme know thoughts

·
Premium Member
2008 XV1700PC Warrior
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly you should be ok. Me personally I wouldn't worry tho.
Once you have it straight, it should track correctly and no move.
Okay, cool. I was just worried because I saw it had consistent frays (but yes, very minute in size). Still, never had this happen before on my Harleys.
Rather be safe than sorry. So all the input is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,312 Posts
If I bought a high rpm dremel tool, do you think it would file down that cured powder enough to safely remove it from the inside? (I did think about this idea last night. High speed dremel, small hard sand cylinder bit, steady dremel inside the belt pulley, on the interior sides. Lemme know thoughts
I honestly have no idea. I've never tried to remove powder coating. My off-the-cuff thought was to use a chisel so you'd have a flat surface to ride against as well as a nice, sharp edge to give you a clean edge cut, but I have no experience with powder coating.

·
Administrator
5,931 Posts
Probably when you do your 600 mile trip, the belt will have removed the powder coat for you. Just make sure you get your belt adjusted correctly and you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
2008 XV1700PC Warrior
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE
Just got off work, went right to it. Started off by measuring the dead centers from pivot bolt to rear axle on both sides 3 times over.
Dead On; 16 and 7/16ths inches on both sides. Dead middle on front sprocket.
(I haven't touched the bike since I torqued everything down and took her off the lift.)

@random_guy , @Heftysmurf , and @Gilly ; Do you think it's worth me loosening everything back and popping the belt off to dremel /work the excess (slightly rough/ abrasive) line off the inner sprocket? Or should I be okay with it as it sits? Being that the belt, IF I does happen to catch a little or rub sporadically for any reason during riding, that it would possibly rub down/off the powder before it (the rough edge of powder inside the sprocket) would compromise the integrity of the belt?

Stairs Composite material Parallel Fixture Gas

Escalator Wood Stairs Track Building

Grille Automotive tire Stairs Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,312 Posts
EXCELLENT photos!!

I think this is a decision you have to make for yourself.

I would take it out for a quick little jaunt and see what happens. If it looks like the belt is wearing more and the powder coat isn't wearing off, I'd sand it down. If the belt looks no worse for the wear and the powder coat is wearing down, I'd run it and just keep an eye on it. Ultimately, though, this is your bike and you have to do what's comfortable for you. I tend to run things that others might not be comfortable with but I also think about the risks and potential impact to my situation before making those decisions.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,836 Posts
Don't worry about it. The edge is exposed. Sometimes it's exposed like that new. Go see yer mum.

As for Dremel, forget about it. In a couple hundred miles the belt will fix that crud better than you ever could.

These belts have TONS of tolerance. Based on your posts and pictures and everything I have ever seen here, you have ZERO to worry about.

Say hi to yer mum for us!

Post fresh belt pictures when you get back.

·
Premium Member
2008 XV1700PC Warrior
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Appreciate y'all's input!! I feel MUCH more at ease about keeping the belt on and making this trip. I'll be sure to get a picture of my mum on the bike! (She loves motorcycles and hasn'tseen this new purchase yet. Last time I saw her was two years ago and she asked to sit on my Harley lol)

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Take her out and let her rip. And if you want paint the side of the belt with a sharpie and see if it rubs it off. One thing is peace of mind and you gotta feel comfortable if not that lil tiny itty bitty thing will eat away at you.

·
Premium Member
2008 XV1700PC Warrior
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take her out and let her rip. And if you want paint the side of the belt with a sharpie and see if it rubs it off. One thing is peace of mind and you gotta feel comfortable if not that lil tiny itty bitty thing will eat away at you.
Definitely liking the sharpie idea. You're right, just that little bit can eat at you. This will help me ease my mind, knowing it isn't rubbing. Just gotta put the new exhaust on and then align the rear fender and it'll be tested

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,836 Posts
Help files for adjusting the belt, use in conjunction with the service manual:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts