RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found the link to some happening that took place in 2006 somewhere in Estonia. Thought someone may be interested in retro motorcycles.

http://www.retromobile.lt/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=123&Itemid=45&lang=8859-13

·
Registered
361 Posts
Alright, the first few photo's had me thinking "What the F***" then the WWII era bikes (knockoff's included) ...and I'm like "Totally Wicked Dude" (Sorry SoCalsurfer dudespeak)

If I were over there I'd be definitely collecting a few of those. Irony is that the WWII MC's are more expensive collector items in the states than WWII weapons which I admit are the most fun at the range.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Really thought the site was neat. Couldn't read a word of it, but there were some cool bikes there. I bet those would be a pleasure to ride.

WWII weapons are some of my favorite. When I was a teenager, my dad was in charge of collecting old military weapons for his cousin who was stationed at Ramstein AF base in Germany. His cousin would send him a check every couple of months and dad would go find a new gun. Of course we had to make sure they worked properly...every weekend. The cousin came back statesideand took the guns back, but it was fun while it lasted (six years).

Some of my favorites:

British 303, Swedish Mauser, M1 garand. Dad actually went ahead and got a garand for himself because he liked it so much. There's nothing quite like rattling off a magazine knocking down bowling pins 100 yards away until that magazine pops out.65 year old gunand it's still a tack driver. The mauser was quite the gun. It was hard to find ammo for it, but the bullets were so long that it had a really flat trajectory. We used to shoot it at the 300yd range with the iron sites and that thing acted like it was just getting started. Never had a chance to shoot it at 500yds, but I'd imagine it would've taken it in stride.

·
Registered
361 Posts
curiositywasframed said:
Really thought the site was neat. Couldn't read a word of it, but there were some cool bikes there. I bet those would be a pleasure to ride.

WWII weapons are some of my favorite. When I was a teenager, my dad was in charge of collecting old military weapons for his cousin who was stationed at Ram stein AF base in Germany. His cousin would send him a check every couple of months and dad would go find a new gun. Of course we had to make sure they worked properly...every weekend. The cousin came back statesideand took the guns back, but it was fun while it lasted (six years).

Some of my favorites:

British 303, Swedish Mauser, M1 garand. Dad actually went ahead and got a garand for himself because he liked it so much. There's nothing quite like rattling off a magazine knocking down bowling pins 100 yards away until that magazine pops out.65 year old gunand it's still a tack driver. The mauser was quite the gun. It was hard to find ammo for it, but the bullets were so long that it had a really flat trajectory. We used to shoot it at the 300yd range with the iron sites and that thing acted like it was just getting started. Never had a chance to shoot it at 500yds, but I'd imagine it would've taken it in stride.

Ah yes... the lovely cartridge
Don't forget the all important "how NOT to lose your thumb when reloading"

·
Registered
665 Posts
funny you mention that. Last weekend I called dad 'cause a friend of mine got an SKS and he's got a membership at the local gun club. We went out and shot the SKS and took along the M1 and a couple of others. Got to a point where we only had six 30-06 rounds left and dad stuck them in the mag and went to shove the partially loaded magazine into the gun. Sure enough, bolt closed on his thumb. Luckily he was wearing gloves but it still gave him a heck of a blood blister.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Somehow I don't find the M1 Garand that much fun or appealing. I think someone pouring lead down the barrel and havingme march around all day with one might have had something to do with that....
Oh the memories...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts