RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so going thru bike trying to find reasons for backfires and popping. I’ve posted this problem and just following suggestions. Redid exhaust already Before and that helped. Plugs are black and I found this soot around left side TB. I don’t want to Tear down bike unless I have too (dealing with broken leg) Bike has Ivan vbak PCV AIS Dynacoils VH . Dynotune.
Where typically does soot on TB come from
Will CO bumping fix rich mix
FC97AB49-2370-4FD2-AE86-747EB771495C.jpeg
you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s more dry than wet , doesn’t really streak when you wipe it.
Hard to tell source, could the throttle body or manifold be leaking, might explain possible backfires and popping ?

·
Administrator
28,419 Posts
The popping out the intakes would have to be severe to blow the cone air filter off the intake so soot could pass, plus it would have to be popping out the intakes all the time, the bike needs gas to run so the popping is unrelated.

My suggestion is multi-faceted.

Put plastic bags over the air filters to protect the intakes from water entry and clean the entire bike and entire motor real nice. Use a motorcycle body and motor cleaner because they do not harm paint chrome rubber leather etc etc. Google to find a really good one. Don't cheapen-out on this.

One other good idea is to read-up here on the VBAK and BAK and notice that a hose comes off the chrome valve cover on the rear-facing jug its right under the tail of the top fuel tank. Find out where that hose is running to.

Another thing is to find the Yamaha video for how to check motor oil level (in the Welcome Mat) because its different for this semi dry sump performance motor. You might already know this and have seen the factory video (which uses a R*). But gotta put it out there for you.

If the oil is over-full it can mist out that hose and where the oil mist lands depends on where that hose ends.

So clean it up and visually inspect and do some reading here. I give it 50/50 the grime issue is discovered and solved by these steps.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Frankly it looks pretty old. Do a good cleaning a see it it returns.
Also I second Arizonas idea about the valve cover vent and oil mist.
I get this problem on my swingarm because I cut the vent one about 2in too short. I'm also thinking your problem might have been fixed at some point in the past and this is just the remnants of the mess that are now cooked on to the bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil mist is a possibility, Probably explains that small 2” k/n style filter Churchkey supplied with his VBAK kit. I noticed it in the parts box yesterday while rummaging around for his instructions.
thanksguys for the help, I’ll get it cleaned up and keep moving thru bike

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Traced out hose from nipples in rear cylinder one goes to oil tank other one Runs all the way to bottom of bike near rear spring. So looks good and clean install, probably why I didn’t use that small filter/breather from kit

·
Administrator
28,419 Posts
Traced out hose from nipples in rear cylinder one goes to oil tank other one Runs all the way to bottom of bike near rear spring. So looks good and clean install, probably why I didn’t use that small filter/breather from kit
Okay. Some buy another little filter for that hose off the top of the chrome valve cover and stuff it on top of the motor. Others let it hang loose at the swingarm which is the wise choice!

Okay so scratch that as the culprit.

Okay then. Get it cleaned up brother!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil mist is a possibility, Probably explains that small 2” k/n style filter Churchkey supplied with his VBAK kit. I noticed it in the parts box yesterday while rummaging around for his instructions.
thanksguys for the help, I’ll get it cleaned up and keep moving thru bike
The small filter/breather supplied with the Churchkey V-BAK kit is for LCV Intake!
Okay. I’ve got that to figure out now too.. I ran that hose under seat and left it open

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice looking , looks very clean, good job hiding wires . I’ll see about fitting that filter on . My akitadog plate is a little larger and covers the #1 (back) cylinder So room is a little bit tight
Thanks for the help ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts