RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there running the soupy’s? I’ve read they’re better than baron and PCs. Question, do I really need to install an aftermarket spring like an eibach to keep from rubbing fender on tire if I ride with no passenger, weigh 185#, and plan on only dropping down around 1 and 3/4” from stock?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yes you’ll for need to upgrade your spring. I haven’t heard of that brand but the barons are pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
I know the Brand and the only thing that would make them better than Baron is if they used metric heim joints and included a couple of additional spacers @ the front mount and they don't. But they do cost more. The PC links aren't adjustable but you'll get 1-3/4 " below stock height.
If you're running the stock size rear tire I suspect you'll be OK @ your weight. You can always add a spring later

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Barons is a good brand n choice like stated
Soupys probably won't be able to find.......
I'm using the BMS lowering links...

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Barons is a good brand n choice like stated
Soupys probably won't be able to find.......
I'm using the BMS lowering links...

All I’ve read on this forum is what a pain the barons adjustables were to install.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
That is the first time I have seen a Baron's kit fail.

OP the kit is fairly simple to put in. Make sure you measure the links against the stock links prior to putting them in. After you install them all it takes is like 1 to 1.5 turns to lower the bike alot. You might be able to get away with the stock spring if you crank up the shock. I ride with a friend of mine who has a Warrior but lowered with the PCS kit which is 1-3/4" drop on a stock tire and doesn't rub. But like Alan said as well a spring can be purchased after for like $70 bucks.

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
That's a baron...
Wow, that's a catastrophic failure for sure :(

Here's some interesting info fwiw:
My thoughts and speculation:
The front spacer tube acts as a crush collar when properly torqued by the M12 x 165 lg Hex bolt and appears to be overheated with galling and was probably turning within the bike frame tabs because the bolt came loose.
IMO it's important to properly lubricate these components as well as the shock eye during assembly.

If this M12 bolt comes loose the heim joints will begin to hammer the bolt because of kinetic energy caused by the sloppy fit of the 1/2" I.D. inner race of the heim and the 12mm O.D. fastener.

This assembly is designed for the components to be in tension so if the bike goes air born when impacting a pot hole in the highway then $hit happens. Lack of proper lubrication and poor road conditions also contribute to failure.

Just my .02 cents :)

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Either that is a modified Baron's because my kit did not come with a grease nipple or whatever that is drilled into the heim joint. Is that heim joint steel?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Either that is a modified Baron's because my kit did not come with a grease nipple or whatever that is drilled into the heim joint. Is that heim joint steel?
I believe mine had that nipple on mine when I installed it. I’ll be installing a TAR this weekend so I’ll look at them again. But that had to be a flaw in the metal or something. Would take a huge amount of force to do that to it otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
That's 2-failures now from freeezzzz
The Warrior Links are in Tension so tensile strength is important.
There are many flavors (including country of origin) of Heim Joints in the market place when it comes to material and the failure is at the weakest point in both photos.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I dont knw...
I'm with Hefty on this..
It looks like it failed at that drill / nipple...

We need to see other pics of this Baron's
Adjust links to verify that

·
Administrator
28,155 Posts
Tell me if I am missing something okay. The first set looks like baron knock-offs, and the second set is round-shaped in the picture (not hex shaped) at the end shown, no idea what they were thinking when putting parts together. Both appear un-lubricated. The first set looks permanant-lube type but the second is not. And wassup with all the rust, its as if they are bare unprotected pot metal? I would love to get my hands on those just for a look-see but its not worth the freight.

My guess, cheap metal coupled with seems likely the two links were not adjusted to completely matching lengths, and the slightly shorter side took all the load and failed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Arizonawarrior is right! Thank you for paying attention to this. I looked in web. I thought there was a difference in the product of the baron. Maybe there was an early version with this form. But I did not find anything specific. Therefore, it could be not a baron.

I asked the person who dumped this photo for me to take more photos. He informed me that the mechanism of his rear suspension was seriously changed before him by someone. With many design disruptions. I also suggested that the links were installed in different lengths, not correctly adjusted.

But the fact remains: in both cases, the fixing ear broked. It is in this part a weak link. And comparing with the stock construct, I clearly see that the stock links is much stronger and more reliable in these places.

·
Administrator
28,155 Posts
Thanks Freeezzzz. I know you realize that the LA Choppers / Baron links use very strong metals that are proven suitable. I bought mine from LA Choppers right before they merged products with Baron. The design takes into account the weak area in tension so its a non-issue even with my 1, 000 pound spring, unless someone unknowingly buys fake links online. Mine have suffered thru drag races and mountain roads and tour packs. I actually don't know any LA Choppers / Baron links that have failed. I'm certain some have but others can comment what they experience.

It's one of the cases where just because it looks like a duck doesn't make it suitable for the dinner table. Not all Heims joints are actually Heims quality.

I paid a lot for the links when I bought mine. At that time I looked at buying the individual parts from a known industrial supply but even with my shop discount the kit purchase was the better option. And like many, I want known expertise in the branded parts that save my bacon on the road!

I know you do too, its why you post these failures. Its good for the information to be here. So I like to suggest LA Choppers, Baron, and Soupys kits from known sources. And along with buying good kit, I like to stress the importance of correct assembly, correct install including exact length matching, and correct ride height range. This is not a beginner's mod, many said its intermediate which is why the help file is in the intermediate section in Documentation. BTW back then I shared the help file with Baron who verbally liked it but smartly did not go on the written record. They did later fix a small bit in their own instruction sheet tho, and they said they had already intended to update anyway.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts