RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used warrior that did not come with an owners manual. I was just wondering what the proper gap is for the spark plugs is?

I know this is an easy one.

Thanks,

J-man

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,714 Posts
Here's more help than you'll need from the Popular Mods post in the Technical forum:

Spark Plugs - OEM: NGK DPR7EA-9 - or - Denso X22EPR-U9 from factory (gap 0.8mm to 0.9mm)
Spark Plugs - Preferred: 4 each NGK Iridium DPR7EIX-9 (7803) 0.032" ~ 0.035" (0.8mm to 0.9mm)
Spark Plug Wires - High Performance: http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61070
Spark Plug Condition Chart: http://hawkworks.net/sparkplug-chart/
Spark Plug Condition Chart: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/faq/faqread2.asp
Spark Plugs - Changing: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/26477/382823.aspx
Spark Plug Condition Info: http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html
Spark Plug Reading - Racing: http://www.usaimports.co.uk/Mopar_Tech_Pages/Spark_Plug_Reading.htm

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
One coil fireing 2 spark plugs you migh like .028 especially if you have HC pistons.

Dyna coil users should run .024.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Churchkey said:
One coil fireing 2 spark plugs you migh like .028 especially if you have HC pistons.

Woody. Why would you run with a smaller gap with Dyna coils? I would have expected it to be the other way round.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Badger said:
Churchkey said:

Woody. Why would you run with a smaller gap with Dyna coils? I would have expected it to be the other way round.

I agree however the info wasposted onthe Dyna Coil web site.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm about to do my plugs in a today guys I got the nkg iridiums 7803 ...it says it comes gap at .036 ..
I have vanes home full exhaust church key k& n ...corbra turner ...
Looks like stock coils can I just put in as is ?

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,714 Posts
I'm about to do my plugs in a today guys I got the nkg iridiums 7803 ...it says it comes gap at .036 ..
The NGK 7803 Iridium comes gapped .035 mine did and the NGK website still says same.

The Warrior OEM plug is NGK DPR7EA-9 - or - Denso X22EPR-U9 from factory (gap 0.8mm to 0.9mm) which is 0.032 ~ 0.035. The NGK Iridium DPR7EIX-9 (7803) gap range is 0.032" ~ 0.035" (0.8mm to 0.9mm) and in the box they are 0.035".

You can install these as they are. Check gap to be certain all 4 are the same (some get damaged in shipping). Your stock motor performance will be fine. And the iridiums are literally self cleaning. If you foul them from low-rpm bogging then jump on the freeway a bit.

IF YOU DECIDE TO CHANGE GAP then read-up and get the correct style of gap tool and use it correctly to avoid cracking the tip off by the gap tool hitting it when trying to gap.

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
Read up here prior to doing the plugs just for a quick minute. One thing I learned here is having a piece of 3/8" fuel hose to help thread that one pesky plug in.

Edit:
Here's a good read.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Read up here prior to doing the plugs just for a quick minute. One thing I learned here is having a piece of 3/8" fuel hose to help thread that one pesky plug in.

Edit:
Here's a good read.
Thanks for the advice @Heftysmurf I made sure to watch any videos available on youtube and read up on net also looked on some of the threads on here .
I watched a lot of the videos for rs warrior bryan but he hasn't made any new ones lately ....

·
Registered
63 Posts
@arizonawarrior so I checked all the new iridium plugs with my old spark plug gap tool I was able to slide it to .30 then from there had to walk it to the .35 so they all was at that measurement give or take...I bought a tiny mirror so I can double check for I need debris before I inserted the new plug...
but in the back of my head I'm wondering did all the spark plug boots go all the way down it's such an awkward angle to grab the spark plug boot and push it down I went through all of them pressing them two or three times to make sure it went all the way down.

I guess Im wondering how would KNOW if those spark plugs boots went all the way don't because I have the bike all put together and ran it last night sounds fine ...

·
Registered
63 Posts

Edit:
Here's a good read.
Oops forgot to add I used a variety of wobble sockets extensions and swivel sockets and made sure to hand thread each spark plug in. I will admit it was a little nerve-racking on the front right hand side because I couldn't really see anything and the second guessing myself when turning the threads in a few times ... It's very nerve-racking to work on a bike that parts are either non-existent or if available on the shelves in Japan are very expensive

·
Registered
63 Posts
How's this for idle ...seems like when I play with he throttle it stay above 1000 rpm before it slowly goes back ..
Some time it just stays above 1000 at a stop light

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,714 Posts
When the motor is completely cold for example in the morning and it first starts it should idle a bit higher for a few seconds then the rpm should step down to about 850~950rpm warm idle. 950 versus 1000 is not terrible.

If your bike acts as above when fully cold then you are safe to adjust warm idle slightly down if you want.

If your bike does NOT act exactly as above when fully cold then describe how it does act so we can understand what is needed.

Also, the stock boots grab well. If you pushed them down about almost as much as the spark plug porcelain's distance then it's cool.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just watched a video about spark plugs .which has me question my spark plug job...
They say not to use a coin type on iridium plugs because you can possibly break the tip.which I understand but it is what I had ...I used the coin to gauge the plug but didn't really force any adjustment....the video also said no to anti-seize lube (which I used lol)..because ngk already made with special metals and also can risk over torque .....

Question is should I leave it be ? Or is my ocd messing with me lol I guess if the bike didn't like my spark plug gapping the timing would be off or it would run weird right

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's the one that seems to be the popular choice tool.i can tell you if I had this tool not all those spark plugs I bought would slide freely in the .035 wire because in my coin gauge I had to walk it almost drag it to .035
.so with my coin tool I slightly levered up a little bit to give it a little more room ..and it didn't break tip ...

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,714 Posts
That wire-type gauge tool's gap adjusting slots are good to use to slightly widen the gap if needed. This is because ZERO CONTACT IS MADE WITH THE CENTER ELECTRODE OR THE PORCELAIN. But you need to insert the tool in a direction where the BOTTOM of the adjusting slot does not hit the tip (center electrode).

If your 7803 NGK plugs had arrived with .035 gap then you could have installed without gapping, or if you wanted to narrow the gap for some reason then you could have done that more safely than when prying it open.

The coin gap tool applies pressure to the tip and most often will at minimum crack the center electrode on IRIDIUM plugs. I lost count of how many times I have seen people suffer this fate.

So based on what you've posted here I took a few minutes and located one of many good YouTube videos that specifically cover IRIDIUM plug gap adjustments. If in the future this url breaks then those who follow in the future should watch a bunch of found videos until you've found a few that highlight the principle of never touching the iridium center electrode during gap adjustments.

Also ALWAYS be very gentle when inserting 'flat feeler' or 'wire' gauges into the gap to be certain the measuring gauge is NEVER forced into the gap because that side-loads the iridium tip center electrode.

Another always: when using screw-type gap-closers NEVER LEAVE FEELER GAUGE IN THE GAP AND SCREW IT DOWN TO CLOSE THE GAP especially on iridium plugs. ALWAYS REMOVE THE FEELER GAUGE THEN SCREW IT DOWN A HINT THEN RELEASE IT THEN REMEASURE. RINSE AND REPEAT TO GAP.

Here is one video. It's not the best I've seen and omits some info, but it's good enough for a first look. Notice how the coin gap tool is terrible for most modern spark plugs and often deadly for iridium tips.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,714 Posts
I am still also worried if you actually got the correct plugs you said they arrived new with a different gap than the NGK 7803 factory gap of .035" as confirmed on NGK site:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts