RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again guys! Just recently posted another thread about my bike not running properly. Tried to change the spark plugs today and was only able to successfully get two off. The back left plug was a dream! Super easy off and on. Once I tried getting the back right one off, it was abnormally hard to get off. I mean REALLY hard to get off. Once I managed to get it out, the new spark plug only goes in maybe a fourth of the way in using hand tightening. And when I use a tool it gets super tight before it’s even halfway in. I threw in the towel and left it for another day. Any suggestions or ideas on what this issue is/how to fix it?

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
.......... Any suggestions or ideas on what this issue is/how to fix it?
Sounds like you have some stripped threads so inspect thoroughly as stated by LeaderDeuce. An excellent solution for this repair is a spark plug back tap. Using this tool properly will prevent getting aluminum chips into the cylinder. You'll want to rotate the engine so that #1 Cyl piston is down, you should coat the tap with grease. The chips and residue will adhere to the grease and come back out stuck to the body of the tap :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
You guys have it covered, but there are two things. 1. Did you remove your tank before trying to remove your plugs? 2. I would look at the thread of the plug that came out of that pot. Looking at the thread can tell you heaps. If it has heaps of aluminium on it, usually cross thread. Does the thread so signs of rust ?

·
Administrator
28,588 Posts
+1 on grease.

IMO at least look on (Amazon) for even a $20 BACK TAP. It will pull all the debris forward and yep you want to put grease on it too. The instruction card covers it.

The WD40 I mentioned is to soften crud and carbon. Less tap wear lol.

So no matter which type tap you use, grease it every time.

If you use a normal (front) tap then you really want to incrementally and slowly move into and back out of the hole to avoid some debris falling into the jug. Don't go all the way in until you've cleared as much as you can. Its easier than it sounds.

If you use a back tap then take your time getting it fully-engaged, its better to under-expand the tool into the spark plug hole then gradually expand more to clear away any crud embedded in the female thread. It might take three passes, and after each time go ahead and clean old grease and regrease sparingly and go back in. I love these things.

Remember its an aluminum hole. Go slow and focus and you will be done in a minute or two.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you have some stripped threads so inspect thoroughly as stated by LeaderDeuce. An excellent solution for this repair is a spark plug back tap. Using this tool properly will prevent getting aluminum chips into the cylinder. You'll want to rotate the engine so that #1 Cyl piston is down, you should coat the tap with grease. The chips and residue will adhere to the grease and come back out stuck to the body of the tap :)
So you’re saying I’d have to take the whole engine out?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My biggest worry is like many have said, getting debris in the cylinder. I’m like even under beginner when it comes to fixing anything. I just wish I had help from someone who knew exactly what they were doing. I don’t want to run the risk of ruining my engine or something :(

·
Administrator
28,588 Posts
12mm Back Tap Here: https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-641148-12mm-Thread-Repair/product-reviews/B001SOHXLQ

Also Google 'back tap' until you find instructions. Its pretty easy. Just be gentle. You do not need to disassemble anything. Get a clean length of thin wood dowel or a long thin screwdriver or something similar, stick it in the hole to see if the piston is down a bit thats all. Or, since there are two plugs per cylinder, with both spark plugs out you can shine a light in one hole and maybe see in the other hole if the piston is up or down enough then bump the starter until the piston is down.

Once you see how a back tap works you might decide to give it a go. Most motorcycle repair shops know about back taps and might help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys have it covered, but there are two things. 1. Did you remove your tank before trying to remove your plus? 2. I would look at the thread of the plug that came out of that pot. Looking at the thread can tell you heaps. If it has heaps of aluminium on it, usually cross thread. Does the thread so signs of rust ?
No sign of aluminum shavings or anything...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Google 'back tap' until you find instructions. Its pretty easy. Just be gentle. You do not need to disassemble anything. Get a clean length of thin wood dowel or a long thin screwdriver or something similar, stick it in the hole to see if the piston is down a bit thats all. Or, since there are two plugs per cylinder, with both spark plugs out you can shine a light in one hole and maybe see in the other hole if the piston is up or down enough then bump the starter until the piston is down.

Once you see how a back tap works you might decide to give it a go. Most motorcycle repair shops know about back taps and might help.
Thank you. I would’ve just taken it to a shop but right now they are all closed indefinitely near me :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you guys so much! Very helpful! I think me and my girlfriend are going to take a swing at it next week! Thanks again!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Once you get the threads squared away, something that has been amazingly helpful in changing plugs for me is the use of 3/8" bit of fuel line. After you loosen the plugs a touch with a socket, put the fuel line on top of the spark plug and remove it which makes it super easy in the tight space. When you're reinstalling the plugs, use the fuel line on there as well, it holds the plug and your able to line it up and "feel" it thread or not. Once it's hand tight with the fuel hose just pull it off and tighten the plug to spec and you're all set.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts