RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
30,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys is helping me see thru his eyes his success in using iridium plugs that are two-steps colder to control pinging. I find it interesting so when time allows I'm reading what I can find about the mundane spark plug. This sorta puts it in perspective for me:

"Spark plugs are under constant chemical, thermal, physical, and electrical attack by corrosive gases at 4,500 degrees Fahrenheit, crushing pressures of 2,000 pounds per square inch (PSI), and electrical discharges of up to 18,000 volts. This unrelenting assault under the hood of a typical automobile occurs dozens of times per second and over a million times in a day's worth of driving."

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Ahem, that appears to be me!!

I have OE 108 etc etc and have always had to be careful with finding decent gas or else it pings badly. I'm using NGK Irridium 9EIX plugs ($32 for 4) which are two steps colder than stock which are 7EIX. It is not pinging at allon this last tank of Conoco 91 octane and I'm not using octane booster either. I have not changed anything else but the weather is a lot cooler now which has always helped but not eliminated the pinging.

When I first had the 108 kit, I remember reading someone's post about using colder plugs so I went one step colder. This time, I decided to go to these plugs and so far I'm very happy with them. I've also read several posts saying Irridiums are a waste of money so who knows, maybe I should just have gone to two step colder basic plugs and saved a few bucks. Either way, I'm a believer in these colder plugs for my set-up, the type of which can be further debated by y'all:}

ridingrules said:
Which guy and which spark plugs is he using?

·
Administrator
30,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm rooting for you next summer, it seems like you've done enough homework (which is a cool thing) and you considered options. Usually those kinds of things work out great so I'm betting you'll be golden come summer.

IMO the Iridium plugs bring some other benefits for guys with hot rod bikes like yours. It takes a lot more heat and abuse. The action of that colder plug zapping spark and then cooling down fast, I have to think the Iridium is more up to that hellish challenge than stockers. That's a lot of heat to dissipate fast.

But . . . dare I say it . . . arrgh . . . but I've been wrong before . . .

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
I'm rooting for you next summer, it seems like you've done enough homework (which is a cool thing) and you considered options. Usually those kinds of things work out great so I'm betting you'll be golden come summer.

IMO the Iridium plugs bring some other benefits for guys with hot rod bikes like yours. It takes a lot more heat and abuse. The action of that colder plug zapping spark and then cooling down fast, I have to think the Iridium is more up to that hellish challenge than stockers. That's a lot of heat to dissipate fast.

But . . . dare I say it . . . arrgh . . . but I've been wrong before . . .

I think I'll give them a try in my 110 and see how they work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts