RS Warrior Forum banner
  • It's back! Enter your bike HERE for the Warrior of the Quarter Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
Years ago, I was cutting steel bar, drilling holes in them, and anchoring with the rubber grip bolts further in on the pegs. I HAD to do this, though, as I ground off the threaded hole for those feelers. 馃ぃ 馃ぃ

Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
Years ago someone said they used fire starter sticks, which had been out a little while. I never tried it. Apparently they drill fast but they wear really fast too and they leave flames burning on the ground behind, and that could be a fire Hazard. Smokey the Bear would frown. Plus, it seemed to me the entire amount used could light-up and torch your bike. I mean, I don't know but I know how to use them to start a campfire.
When I would be riding around in a fire-prone area of Southern California, I'd constantly be told not to scrape my pegs as the sparks I was leaving were concerning enough. Using a fire starter stick would surely get me arrested or at least suspected of arson.

That being said, I sure do want to try it now. If you get a phone call for bail money, you only have yourself to blame for putting the idea in my head! 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
Yeah, not looking for sparks, S.Cal has huge fire issues, and as I am generally not looking at the pegs when I am over, I cannot say if the OEM "bolts" produce sparks. I am unsure about regular "bolts", as a stiff bolt would hook up on the pavement if cornering and going across a crack. (Guessing?) I am not sure about the "Bi" part of the bolts, but I believe it is softer, and does not produce sparks the way ferrous bolts do. There must be something good to use...I ordered 2 OEM ones, and will measure the specs on them, for possible cross overs. Keep the ideas coming!
I'm pretty sure the stock ones do spark. They're not crazy sparky, but sparks nonetheless. When I had ground down my pegs to the point of no more threads for those stock pins, the steel bars I was putting under there definitely sparked more. Lots of light shows as I could cruise down the freeway at 80mph and I could weave back an forth in my lane far enough to drag my pegs. Quick right, scrape, SPARKS.... then quick left, scrape, SPARKS... then repeat.

Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
I'm pretty sure the stock ones do spark. They're not crazy sparky, but sparks nonetheless. When I had ground down my pegs to the point of no more threads for those stock pins, the steel bars I was putting under there definitely sparked more. Lots of light shows as I could cruise down the freeway at 80mph and I could weave back an forth in my lane far enough to drag my pegs. Quick right, scrape, SPARKS.... then quick left, scrape, SPARKS... then repeat.
Found pics of my old pegs.
Product Finger Font Auto part Bumper

Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
They look great! LOL! I did hook my foot on a turn a while ago, nearly threw me off! Moderate right hander, (Rosecrans to I-5N for all you San Diego riders) smooth pavement, easy speed, must have gotten a little duck footed on the apex, threw my right leg so hard it broke a bone in my ankle. A month off work, hard boot, tough recovery. I guess I am more aware now to keep the toes in, but it sure happened out of the blue! Never had this happen before. Many turns have the shoe (boot) buttering on the pavement, but no frame yet! My roadhouse pipe is pretty high-n-tight. Chicken strips are pretty thin. I am concerned about getting WWF slammed by hooking up a solid component on the pavement! random_guy, the peg looks like it was broken off!
Haha! It was... I ended up saving my pegs from after totaling my first '05 Midnight. I think I ended up with the pegs and my shifter (which was bent into a U shape) just as reminders. I have little mementos from various vehicles over the years. Like the rear view mirror from my helicopter in the Marines. Random, I know, but I still have it.

I miss tearing up San Diego. They have a lot of nice freeway transitions that are just too fun to not take with excessive speed. Really sorry to hear about your injury, though. That can definitely shake your confidence.

The little metal strip under my peg is what I also made boot sliders out of. I ended up having to make three small strips (heel, mid-foot, toe) and nailed them into my boot soles using paneling nails. If I didn't do that, I would ground down my boot so fast, I was having to replace them about every week. At least those plates would keep the wear on the outside and I could replace them quickly instead of having to buy new boots. I looked EVERYWHERE for boots that would have something like the sports bikes boots toe wear pad, but nothing for cruiser boots that would cover the length of the side. So I made my own. Sounds like you might need something like that too. ;)

Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
You have a pic of those MadMax boots ?
I don't think I do. I'll look around some more but it's not likely.

I will say that the plates would jingle a little on the nails so there was an old western style spur sound when I would walk. 馃ぃ
Water Atmosphere Cloud Sky Plant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts