RS Warrior Forum banner
  • It's back! Enter your bike HERE for the Warrior of the Quarter Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed this Spectre automobile air filter (Item # 8162) on my 2007 Midnight. It is non-functioning at the present but I may make it functional in the future. To fab the mount I used a length of 16"x3/4"x1/8" flat metal stock that I got at Lowes. In my vice I slowly beat it into a "C" shape with a hammer to match the circumference of the filter rubber mount. It took several repositionings of the metal strip in the vice to create the proper shape. I used the original side air box mounting holes on the engine to mount the air filter. In order to have the the metal strip lay flat against the original mounting holes it was necessary to twist the metal strip 90 degrees. I did this by placing it in the vice and heating the metal strip at the proper location with MAP gas (regular propane will also work) until it was cherry red and then twist it with a pair of vice grips. It was then just a matter of bending each end of the metal strip up or down until it lined up with the mounting hole on the engine, marking it with a sharpie, drilling the appropriate size hole, then do final bending to line up, and install bolts. I purposely had left the metal strip long during fabbing so I then trimmed the excess back closer to the bolts. In order to attach the metal mounting strip to the filter I drilled four evenly spaced holes around the circumference and used self tapping sheet metal screws to attach the metal strip to the thick rubber piece in the back of the filter unit. I may clean it up and have it chromed in the future. The attached photos may make this explanation more clear.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Real nice work 馃憣 it looks great!

Are you considering a filter-bag to keep it dry?
Yeah --I have been wondering about the possibility of rain/road spray finding its way up under the tank and into the filter. Probably not a huge issue but something to be addressed if possible. I don't know what you are referring to when you say filter bag?

[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
The kind I'm mentioning slips over the entire filter. It allows air to pass through, but not water. It has minor impact on higher performance. It's really intended to keep the filter media dry. So just take it off when weather allows. Also put it on to wash your bike.

There are also screen socks that really don't do anything for water. Just look for the bags that keep it dry from water.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The kind I'm mentioning slips over the entire filter. It allows air to pass through, but not water. It has minor impact on higher performance. It's really intended to keep the filter media dry. So just take it off when weather allows. Also put it on to wash your bike.

There are also screen socks that really don't do anything for water. Just look for the bags that keep it dry from water.
Thanks---And , yes, I will do that. Do you have a source for the waterproof socks ( if not I'll find them with a Goggle search)

[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
Before you buy be certain its the WATER BARRIER type that kets air pass through. Some might only look like it. And the old style open mesh nets of course let water pass.

I bet Spectre has them to fit. Their resellers might have a better price.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before you buy be certain its the WATER BARRIER type that kets air pass through. Some might only look like it. And the old style open mesh nets of course let water pass.
Yeah--I saw that. The K&N sock states that it is silicone treated and prevents water intrusion while not restricting air flow.

Premium Member
You could also pain that bracket black so that it hides.
Also make sure that those self tappers hold as I am sure they will back out some with the wind pushing up against it and maybe a bump from your leg. Maybe some appropriate sized bolts, washers & nuts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts