RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have the speed star clutch spring installed over the winter. I have searched and can not seem to find a good answer to my question. How much stronger is it and how hard is the clutch lever pull with it installed over stock? Would you have it installed again? Do you wish you stayed with stock spring? Any help from those of you that have the speed star cluch spring would be a big help.Thanks

·
Registered
780 Posts
slngshott, I would say that it is slightly less than 1 1/2 times as hard to pull the clutch lever with the speed* spring. I feel more confident having the stronger spring, but unless you have some significant power adders, it probably isn't necessary. The stock spring should provide plenty of grip. IMHO

·
Registered
370 Posts
+1. Just installed mine a month ago. Doesn't pull much harder at all but prolly unnecessary unless you're adding more power.

·
Administrator
30,076 Posts
In hotter weather, and when out screwing around or riding in a parade you'll find the clutch heats up and slips. A better spring is seen by many of us as a must-have to really enjoy the bike. The S* is one option, you can get one for $100 or so.

The BarnettSR-2 is $150 andis the better option. Its capable of more uniform set-ups and it doesn't crimp hard on the disk-pack so doesn't do damage even under heavy vibration or romping over railroad tracks. Its a coil-spring set-up so doesn't need constant attention. Like many others here,I've had mine installed for several years and all the heat problemsin Arizonastopped. Never a single problem since installing, including riding up and downtosteep mountain resorts in Oregon, or high traffic at Street Vibrations Reno when riding Tahoe.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/spring_conversions.aspx?cat_id=6&prod_id=36

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just picked up a Barnett Clutch from South Seattle Yamaha (www.staryamaha.com) for $119. Much cheaper than most others are selling it for and virtually the same in price to the S* spring. I haven't had the chance to ride it yet as I am also doing h/c pistons and S* cams. The lever does feel much smoother to pull though.

Don't forget to add the gasket. About $6 from the same place.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
slngshott said:
I am going to have the speed star clutch spring installed over the winter. I have searched and can not seem to find a good answer to my question. How much stronger is it and how hard is the clutch lever pull with it installed over stock? Would you have it installed again? Do you wish you stayed with stock spring? Any help from those of you that have the speed star cluch spring would be a big help.Thanks
I'm pulling the numbers from memory but I seem to recall reading that it's 20% stiffer from stock so the difference at the clutch lever should minimal. This is, of course, subjective to the rider.

·
Administrator
30,076 Posts
In two days you'll acclimate to the stiffer spring. Don't worry about it!

TiltedHorizon said:
slngshott said:

I'm pulling the numbers from memory but I seem to recall reading that it's 20% stiffer from stock so the difference at the clutch lever should minimal. This is, of course, subjective to the rider.

·
Registered
780 Posts
slngshott, although I have never had a bit of trouble with my Speed* spring, if I had it to do over (and I might just do it anyway), I would go with the Barnett package thatArizona Warrior pointed out. If for no other reason than the fact that you can change out the springs to get the clamp load that is right for your power level and riding style. They make a few different spring rates that you can swap. You should do a search, but if I remember right, the purple springs are the ones that seemed to be recommended most.

I agree with the other comment about getting used to it in no time also. I would never think twice about it if I didn't ride my buddies with the stock spring on occasion.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
They go Gold( unfinished), green or red with red being the stiffest. Probably don't want red unless extreme engine mods. I have the full Speedstar kit with the green springs on my Barnett and it hooks up perfectly !

·
Administrator
30,076 Posts
+1.

The SR-2 ships by default with gold springs that will set the friction material so fast and hard there's no way the discs will slip. Since the green and red springs are progressively harder to pull (and so harder on the cable and levers) if you have 102ci and no internal engine mods such as HC Pistons, gold is more than good.

Between the SR-2 and the Barnett clutch cabble, its a whole new machine. It makes it a lot more fun to ride, and screw around a little, when the clutch and cable don't wear out because if it. Now if we could find rear tires that wouldn't wear out when we screw around!

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I have 100ft/lbs at 1700rpm and the stock clutch was not happy so I installed the *spring only. The increase in pull is very obvious but is not a problem. I had a well lubed Barnett SS cable and thought it was great until it broke and I replaced it with the stock spare I carry. The stock cable pulled so much better it was ridiculous. It's not SS so I'm not sure what I shall replace it with. The Barnett cable is so much better than the Barons which sucked. IfI were doing it over, I would replace the whole clutch about now. Oh wait, it's nearly Christmas.......

PS would you like my spring?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts