RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just scored a set of Yammi Speed* High Compression Pistons Cheap!!!!

I've heard about double stacking the gaskets when they are installed to eliminate pinging. I just would like to know everything that I can about the how and why of it.

Also, can I get some feedback on performance and ease of installation from anyone who has the speedstar pistons?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Justice said:

I've heard about double stacking the gaskets when they are installed to eliminate pinging. I just would like to know everything that I can about the how and why of it.

Also, can I get some feedback on performance and ease of installation from anyone who has the speedstar pistons?

Thanks!

Basically by double stacking the gaskets you are taking away some of the added compression. Less compression means less chance of detonation. Do you plan on upgrading the cams to?

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
a12ozbottle said:
Justice said:

Thanks!

Basically by double stacking the gaskets you are taking away some of the added compression. Less compression means less chance of detonation. Do you plan on upgrading the cams to?

+1

Kinda defeats at least a portion of the HC pistons. Run high octane gas and go with single gaskets. JMO.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Most of the guys wanting to double stack the gaskets, were using 10.5 compression ratio pistons and were using crappy California 91 octane gas.

Since 2004, I have run Orient Express 10.5 pistons andnot double stacked the gaskets. I have not had any trouble at all. I have also run 91 octane and no problems. The Speedstar pistons are 10.2 and have run on even California 91 octane without difficulties. So you should be fine.

The higher compression pistons are the best bang for the buck. Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Using a cam with more duration also bleeds off some of the added cylinder pressure when using high compression pistons. So you might want to look into upgrading the cams as well.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cams and Springs are on the list. When I get my income tax return, I will be going ahead with them.

I guess that I thought that I read something from Frankenstein about double gaskets and pinging, but he probably has a little more going on than speedstar HC pistons...

How's about the install? Have any of you done that yourselves?

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Justice said:

Here's some excellentreading mat'l:

The Ultimate RS Warrior Ping Stop!http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/29037/392124.aspx#392124

http://www.fxstein.com/blog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=52&blogId=1
SpeedStar Stage IV kit

http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/26022/988751.aspx#988751

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I run 11:1 pistons and never had a ping problem. Do yourself a favor though, and get the HD valve springs and install them, when you put the pistons in. That way you don't have to tear off the heads again to put them in when you do get the cams.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
warrior04:

Don't forget Fxsteins ultimate ping stop solution! Make sure to use two head gaskets per sidewhen you reassemble. This will stop any pinging when running the HC pistons.

"This may be a fix in severe cases however there are several things to try/do before adding more gaskets & killing compression.

First, when the heads are off screw the spark plugs back into themthen take a look at the combustion chambers. You will see a threaded area past the end of each spark plug that extends into the combustion chamber. The sharp edges of the threads will cause pre ignition when cylinder temps rise due to higher compression. Mark the areas that need attention & carefully dremel the threads off & blend the area into the combustion chamber.

Second: Change the way you ride the bike. You cannot lug the engine in the upper 3 gears. a pull in 5th gear from 1500 rpm & up on a hot engine = pinging. Just down shift & keep the revs around 2K or better in the upper gears.

Third: Use good premium fuel.

Fourth: Insure that your fuel mixture is not lean. You are better served to run a tick rich with pistons & cams."

-Churchkey

Okay, now I'm really confused. I think that I like Churchkey's version more.

[*]

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the speedstar pistons, single gaskets and it runs great on 91 octane. you will enjoy the results on the butt dyno.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have the Orient Express 10.5:1 pistons, Speedsatr valve springs, Churchkey intake, Speedstar 2-1-2 exhaust and the Speedstar ECU. I have the single head gaskets and always run 91 octane. In the summers here in AZ, the bike will ping very easily, but then again will outside temps above 100*f things are always very hot.

During the winter, the bike runs like a raped ape. Almost no pinging at all.

Once I recover from my back surgery I will install the Speedstar cams and PC III and have it mapped and then we'll see if it pings or not! But until then, when it is hot I just have to take it easier on the the throttle!

Almost forgot, here is a link to Amospro's video of the piston install, and well, a little extra scenery!

http://www.mediamax.com/amosprod/Hosted/GarageDayVideo320.wmv

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Justice, Sit back take a deep breath. The people suggesting the double gaskets are all from California. That state has a special formulation of gasoline. So unless you are going to import your fuel from California, double stacking or what ever is not required.

Also, the S* pistons were developed to be usefull in even that enviornment. They are 10.2, the ones with pinging problems are running 10.5 in California. (Poor fuel and high temps)

Just go ahead an smile. Like I said. I've been running 10.5 for 4 years and no problem.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Dice said:
I run 11:1 pistons and never had a ping problem. Do yourself a favor though, and get the HD valve springs and install them, when you put the pistons in. That way you don't have to tear off the heads again to put them in when you do get the cams.

This is GREAT advise from Dice. Save's the $$$ on new head gaskets also. I've have the S* pistons in my bike since 03, no problems. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wheewww!!

Okay guys. I'm gonna forget the double gasket theory. I do think that I will check the plugs in the heads when I have them off, and blend them, if necessary, as suggested by Churchkey. I live and ride at 3K ft elevation, and in the summer temps get up to and over 100 degrees for a few weeks. I like to ride hard, and race Harleys whenever I get the chance....

So, if anybody's got any tips on install, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for all of your help, and have a Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
well considering that the OE cams have the highest lift available, for the warrior, they should be more than adequate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts