RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Last August, returning to Santa Cruz, from a trip to Lake Tahoe, I noticed my speedo was stuck @ 110mph! I knew I was only travling at around 60-70, since I had my S.O. behind me. She doesn't like me to go much over 75 when we ride long distances. Any way I had to turn the key off, wait for a few seconds & switch it back on. I noticed the needle & lights go thru it's start up routine, & I re-engaged the clutch & it returned to normal. I will mention that it was quite warm around Sacramento that day, easily in the 90's.

That was that, until last month. Returning from Street Vibrations, in Reno, I was riding with my "Hardly" buddy and on the return trip my speedo did that "sticky" thing several times. The only difference from the first time was that the speedo read a slower speed than I was riding.This happened maybe 5 or 6 times. Each time I had to turn the key off & on again to correct it. A couple of times I had to turn it off & on several times to get it back to "normal". Once at a gas stop, I had to turn it off & on for several minutes before it corrected. On the ocasions where I had to fiddle with it more than once I noticed the speedo & lights didn't cycle thru "normally". The lights would cycle really fast & once I saw the needle advance & retreat "sort of digitally". Like it 'stepped' thru its travel instead of being fluid. And like before, it was quite hot that day as well. Any clues out there? BTW I had about 67K miles on my '02 then.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
jim

this is a "known issue". the problem is in the speedometer, and manifests itself on hot days. the rumor is that the tolerances are too tight inside the speedo and when it gets hot....................well it does what yours did. kinda cool to see the big miles per hour numbers. my dealer gave me a new speedo, and that was the end of that, i do not remember anyone "fixing" the problem anyother way than a speedo swap.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
It just dawned on me after reading this that my speedometer has not stuck in the last two years. It used to stick all the time and I've had it in the exact same situations. I wonder if it healed itself

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yep, I've experienced the same thing -- on both long rides and short rides. I've noticed each time that the air temperature is not necessarily that warm, but the sun had been shining directly on the speedo for awhile (sitting inparking lot, etc.).

It hasn't bothered me too much, but would prefer that it not happen, of course. Has anyone swapped speedos with the dealer and continued to have this problem? Just curious if that seems to ultimately resolve the issue.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've got the 02 model and half way thru my first season , I had the same problem , but the dealer

switched it , and there has never been a problem since.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suppose it makes me feel a little better to know that it's not unique to my ride. In each case the speedo was in direct sunlight, for an extended period of time. I would suspect that Yamaha wouldn't change it for free, since my bike is now nearly 7 years old, and has 68K miles on it! That sticky problem had me wondering more when I compared my speedo reading to my TomTom Go. There is a 5mph error, which I read is somewhat normal. I guess that error may have saved my butt from a few tickets over the past 3 years & 56K miles. I can live with that too...

Thanks for chiming in - Jim

·
Administrator
5,909 Posts
The same here,only mine is a 05.Warranty covered it,and no more problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts