RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't ridden the bike in about a month and a half. During that time I installed a Custom Dynamics LED license plate. Thats it. Well I fire my bike up and it warms up just fine. I take it out onto the street and notice both the speedometer isnt working AND the gauge cluster is off, so no rpms, no neutral light, no turn signals, nothing....but the bike is idling and running fine..I have a PCIII isntalled however the the bike has run fine for months....anybody have any ideas? Its an '07 still under warranty so I guess I could just run it into the shop.....but i really wanted to get her out today...[:'(]

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats exactly what it is...i keep blowing the second fuse from the top (10)...do i need to install a resistor in line with this plate???

That seems kinda rediculous....

·
Administrator
30,093 Posts
Do the new LED's in the license frame illuminate? Did the instructions say use a particular wire for power and the other wire for ground? Did you already check thenew LED license plate frame wiring for a bare power wire touching metal or another wire, as suggesed above? You don't have your Gallery page completed, so do you have the stock tail light and rear/front signals?

The only reason to add a resistor would be if the manufacturer instructions tell you to, most don't require external resistance.

BurnMac42 said:
Thats exactly what it is...i keep blowing the second fuse from the top (10)...do i need to install a resistor in line with this plate???

That seems kinda rediculous....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything is stock except for the license plate...and yes when i first installed the plate it illuminated fine..i have all the wires seperated out and undone (i have done this 3 times now) and each time i hook the license plate frame back up it shorts the fuse......the wires I am using are the wires that used to light the stock rear light.....

·
Registered
692 Posts
Did you try hooking up the stock plate light and starting the bike up? If you still get a short then it's likely somewhere futher up the harness, if you don't then the plate light itself may be suspect - could be an internal short on the plate light, are you sure the wires aren't getting pinched or anything?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well its definitely the ground wire...i just cant figure out where its shorting out though. I got everything connected again it was working fine so i put everything back together (put the plate in the holder got the turn signals screwed back on etc etc and then i went to check it one last time and psh blew the fuse again...
SO...it will have to wait until tomorrow becuase i just went thru a full box of spare fuses trying to figure this thing out and I don't have any fuses left....

I might have blown the light too because now the light wont even come on...i have the ground wire from the plate grounded to the large bolt that holds our turn signals on and when i turn the bike on everytihng works except for the license plate now lol....

·
Registered
361 Posts
BurnMac42 said:
I might have blown the light too because now the light wont even come on...i have the ground wire from the plate grounded to the large bolt that holds our turn signals on and when i turn the bike on everytihng works except for the license plate now lol....

Well, sounds like it's haggle time with CD on a "defective" plate.

I haven't had my tail light apart yet but looking at the assembly diagram--I'm not so sure the turn signal bolt is a good ground. What did CD have in their instructions? I would be inclined touse thehandy tail light terminalinto the harness since the rear turn signal and license plate circuits do not use the tail housing as ground but rather the harness runs back to the chassis.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
BurnMac42 said:
If you haven't changed your inner fender to an aftermarket steel bracket then using the T/S bolt isn't going to work because the inner fender is ABS plastic and non-conductive!

Further, there is a GRND wire from the stock license light that should be used for this installation. There are 5-wires out to the rear fender of which only one is the GRND that originates under the seat. The multiple GRND's at the taillight are BRANCHED to the single ground with a mechanical crimped connection and taped!

The Yamaha methodology for all the Warriorwiring is to use a HARD WIRE GROUND for every component and not the chassis. There are only 2-devices that connect w/o a GRND. The Neutral Switch & the Starter

The CD license plate has but 2-wires and is polarity sensitive because of theLED's. No harm is done if incorrectly connected. It will only work one way.

It sounds to me like there is a direct internal short to the commonor GRND wire of the new plate. An Ohm meter or continuity light will easily verify this fact!

Good Luck

·
Administrator
30,093 Posts
Your problem is probably with the LED light itself, however lets think about this.With the key off, plugging-in the ground wire simply completes the circuit for when the key is turned on. On the one hand, even if the ground wire is shorted-out to ground its still simply grounding the circuit properly. Now, if the ground wire is shorting againstthe power wire, that's a problem. On the other hand, if the power wireis shorted before the LED light I would expect it to blow the fuse even without the ground wire being attached.

For the brandand part# LEDyou bought,I'd hope the instructions mention two things:

1. Use a particular wire as the hot lead and the other as the ground (LED's have adirectionof flow).

2. Use a resistor - or -no additional resistance needed.

With these things in mind, I agree with recommendation above to restore the oem circuit and see if it blows.

[*]
If it does then you've damaged the original circuit up-stream someplace.
[*]
If the oem light works fine then you are lucky - and the trouble is in:

[*]
the power wire you installed, or needing resistance, or
[*]
most likely the new LED light (and possibly the damage is pilot-error).[/list][/list]

BurnMac42 said:
well its definitely the ground wire...i just cant figure out where its shorting out though. I got everything connected again it was working fine so i put everything back together (put the plate in the holder got the turn signals screwed back on etc etc and then i went to check it one last time and psh blew the fuse again...
SO...it will have to wait until tomorrow becuase i just went thru a full box of spare fuses trying to figure this thing out and I don't have any fuses left....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys I think I figured it out. I believe it was the license plate itself because the stock light works fine when hooked back up. I will be getting a replacement soon and let you guys know how round 2 goes lol!

·
Registered
361 Posts
AlanH said:
The Yamaha methodology for all the Warriorwiring is to use a HARD WIRE GROUND for every component and not the chassis. There are only 2-devices that connect w/o a GRND. The Neutral Switch & the Starter

Don't forget the battery is grounded to the chassis

The central ground wire methodology is for eliminating the risk of an unintended ground loop (difference in potential ie voltage)ultimately, it is grounded to the chassis. What I find amusing is the use of earth ground symbols in Yamaha's schematics instead of the correct chassis ground symbols. The difference could be quite shocking (pun intended) especially in AC applications.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts