RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the look better than some of the other options.

How does it compare to a BAK or is it a BAK?

Are there any options for the left side as far as covers?

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Ga_Warrior, The Speedstar Scoop is just a looks item. The current Yamaha catalog is now listing one for the left side, but it probably will not be available for months.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Actually the SStar scoop IS functional IF you have an under the tank air box, which the SStar scoop feeds. It can be made more functional by opening it up inside, which is discussed in many threads.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Here's the ais cover for the left side.

http://www.motorsportssuperstore.com/eshopprod_cat_1581-6666-4196_product_145198.SPEEDSTAR_AIS_COVER.htm

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ordered the SpeedStar Scoop to replace the AIS cover on the left side and Yamaha said it is back ordered until June. I will just have to wait until then or maybe Yamaha will pull a miracle and ship them sooner.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
some of these other BAK options look like S$%^e...c'mon take a $12,000 bike, throw a couple of crappy $300 air filters on and your doing us some sorta sevice here - am I missing something???

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like the look of the AIS cover on teh left side. I would like to see a matching cover for the right side. I've thought about trying to modify one to fit the left side but have'nt gone that far yet. Anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry for the poor speling on the previous reply. I'm posting while at work and the boss was headed for my office.
What I ment was that I like the left side cover and want to match it on the right side. Any ideas?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ga Warrior:

I'm a newbie, so I might have to be corrected,but here's my opinion anyway:

The Speed* air cover looks much better than the stock cover, but it's not of high quality. It plastic! Thinly chromed plastic. For $160 I'd expect something nicer.

I'm not recommending against it. It IS light, nice looking, and functional. I just want you to adjust your expectations to the current reality.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Welcome nathanparker. Yes, some have done the left side scoop on the right side. If you click on the search function, and use the keyword "left side scoop", you'll see all the previous postings on this topic.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't have a problem with plastic necessarily, it's light and functional, and doesn't rust. But PAYING that much for plastic bothers me!

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Seems to be lots of gripes about the plastic right side SpeedStar scoop. Just what do you think the stock monstrosity/engine hider is made of??? PLASTIC. We are so overflowing around here with how so many other cruisers are bloated overweight pigs... how do you think some weight is saved here and there on the bike. Anybody for a nice cast iron anchor for the right side aircleaner?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I would think that if the housing were made from metal it would be a big heat sink. I have one and like it much brtter than the stock box. It is much eaisier to change the element too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts