RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I talked to "a dealer" today and they quoted me a price for install of Speedstar Kit during Trans recall. They said they would sell me the kit for $2700 (going to try and work this price more for the fact it's the old kit). Plus $60 hour labor. (So that comes out to $3000.) He said there would be 6-7 hours on top of it being open for the trans. This sounds high to me but I haven't installed one so I don't know. Hoping you guys could chime in.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I was told by a dealer the same that it would be 6 extra hours during the recall. My dealer was only $50 an hour.

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well just found out dealers have at most $2400 in the speedstar kits! This came from a dealer that yelled at me for telling him I would think about his $2700 price. Some dealers just don't understand you don't piss customers off. He lost another sale!

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
He's full of it Bo, but they're gonna sell it at whatever price they want. My price was **** near cost as told to me by two dealers. Fair price should be around 2600.00 for the NEW kit and less, IMO, for the old one.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The additional time should only be two hours max.
1. Velocity stack - airbox is already removed to get at motor. Saves dealer time not putting it back on.
2. Intake scoop - two bolts, I'd let my four year old do that for me.
3. ECU - additional work, but what is involved other than pulling plugs.
4. New Injectors - extra work, but should be 15-30 minutes since everything is already off the bike.
5. Pistons - no difference putting in old or new
6. Clutch Spring - may take 5 minutes longer to put in than old one.
7. Valve Springs - additional work but theres only 8 so it should be less than one hour.
8. Cams - putting in is no different, adjusting may take 15 minutes longer.
9. Gaskets - no difference in time.
10. Exhuast - no difference in time.

If he is trying to make $300 on selling the kit that should be enough profit on top of what Yamaha is going to pay him.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
I'll install one with valve work for about 400.00. They are full of it if they say its gonna take 6 hours longer to install this kit into the motor. Actually, since the stock airbox will be deleted, and two sensors relocated to a small plate at the front airbox mounting hole they'll probably have less time into it which they can use installing the cams and valve springs, everything else is already removed while they are doing the tranny work. If it were me I'd get to know the technician doing the work on your bike and slip him a 100 to see if he can place the new internals in your motor. You can hide the new engine parts in a duffle bag and install the obvious stuff like the exhaust yourself. Just a though, but be discreet about it.

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See this tread on this dealer!!!
http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11959

Jp
Yea I know he was full of it. I typed that twice I must of lost some of my response on saying he was full of it!
I just feel that price before was a once in a lifetime thing. I just haven't found as good or close yet.
I have a guy that is/was going to help me install the kit before this tranny thing. I just figured if they were going to have it apart might as well pay them the little amount of money and let them have the headache. But six hours on top of having the bike already apart. Come on! I have a feeling the guy that quoted that has nothing to do with the service department. I'm going to try the dealer I have my bike at now and see what they say. The only reason I asked this dealer because I knew they had a kit on hand and figured they would want to get rid of it. They weren't going to get the install anyways! There is a guy at the dealership my bike is at I might be able to con him into doing for just letting him take it for a nice spin. The couple times I've been there he talks to me about how much he wishes he could aford one and always wants to drive it of and on the trailer!

·
Registered
826 Posts
My dealer is going to strip the motor down to the cases and put it back together for $400 over the recall labor. IMHO not too bad since I actually trust the guy doing the work.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Speedstar pistons, cams, valve springs, and clutch spring, dealer said $100 for the labor during the recall work. I bought the speedstar parts at 7% under list price. I already have V-BAK, PCIII, and a Muzzys system so I don't need the other speedstar parts.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hopefully he is saying $400 profit to dealer on S* parts and install. That would be fair. If it is $400 charge to him to do the recall he should ask more questions or report the dealer to Yamaha.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was quoted $3200 installed for the s-star kit (w/o pipe). Was also told that the kit cost the dealer $2700.

Probably going to go for the s-star pistons, valve springs, clutch spring, and cam for $1000, but was quoted $300-350 for the install.
warryder, sounds like you are getting a decent deal.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
I'd say an extra 4h to install the Speedstar kit during the recall. As some of you might know I have done the Stage IV install work myself.
The extra time comes from replacing the stock valve springs, changing out the cam, readjusting the valves, installing new injectors, installing new clutch spring, installing the new airscoop and basically doing a BAK (relocation of the pressure sensors) and AIS blockoff work with the Speedstar parts.

Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
I wonder what the dealers are gonna do with those vavles and seats? Lapping them IMO is not gonna be adequate enough to get rid of the seat issues completely. If they spend time cleaniing these things up I'd agree with you Oliver. Otherwise I don't believe it'll take more than 2 hours by a skilled techincian. I could swap this stuff out my self in that little time during a rebuild with the motor out of the frame.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts