Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Web Cam inc in CA. Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts

Armed with the spec info from sear warrior and warbird ( http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/105423-speedstar-cam-specs.html#post1365046 ) :
Lift @ valve intake/exhaust = 9.3mm/9.3mm (is this a 366 lift?)

Duration at 0.050" intake/exhaust = 241 degrees/235 degrees

Timing at 0.050" lift open/close = Intake = 12.0° BTDC/49.0° ABDC
Exhaust = 36.0° BBDC/19.0° ATDC

Overlap @ .050 = 31.00 degrees
Intake Centerline = 108.50 degrees ATDC.
Exhaust Centerline = 98.50 degrees BTDC.
Lobe separation = 103.5 degrees

NOTE: Theoretical based on rocker arm ratio of 1.4:1. Valve train components, operation temperature and tolerance stackup will affect actual lifts.
3 price breaks.

Pricing is for a set of HARD WELD cams (core provided by client) with specs as above (bucket pricing will be a separate quote):

1 set: $712
3 sets: $534
5 or more sets: $427

**Lifters must be purchased with a cam**

Tool Hardened Lifters:

• 7-14 days lead IF inventory isn't on hand
  • $173.75 for a set of 4 lifters (plus shipping and maybe tax?)
  • cam and lifters sold as a set.
Ceramic Lifters:

• 6-8 weeks lead (regardless- theres always a back log)
  • $223.75 for a set of 4 lifters (plus shipping and maybe tax?)
  • cam and lifters sold as a set.

ARE THERE 4 OF US (plus me=5) THAT ARE SERIOUS ABOUT DOING THIS BEFORE THE WINTER? Its not a cheap purchase, and theres a difference between "wanting" to have a set, and "PAYING" to have a set.
Be interested to hear what you find out about other options for hi performance cams. Maybe a group buy?
I would be interested in a group buy.
If they can do our cams to the speed star spec's, that would be great..
I would be in on a group buy IF it's a brand new cam, and I can tear into my motor on my own schedule. But I'd have to pass unfortunately if I have to send in my own cams
** have you had any change of heart about getting a stock set "somewhere"?

I have a set of stock cams that need a regrind...so maybe just a speed star grind. Either way count me in for the group work.
If the grinder is going to duplicate the speed cams exactly, I'm in.
CAVEAT EMPTOR!
The info and specs above, are confirmed to be Speed * cams exact specs. Im again quoting the info and company to make sure there's transparency for all involved. We are manufacturing custom pieces and I want to make sure we are all going in with eyes wide open. Although I have no reason to doubt WebCam Inc's ability (70 yrs in business), we all know that $hit happens. As we progress towards a real order, I will specifically address the "oh $hit" options with WebCam so we all know what recourse options to expect SHOULD there be an issue.

Having said that:

1. Luv2Lafmcc
  2. californiacruiser
  3. jerrior
  4. gilly
  5. Stellmon
  6. yodie001
  7. heff
Is this list accurate so far? Seems we should have enough for the end qty pricing ($427 as set w/ core). If the number stays at 7 or grows...I might even try to position for a better price.:D

WebCam conveniently accepts PayPal. I expect each of us being able to individually pay for our cams (referencing a group job number), and have an individual transaction receipt.

Heff = I would imagine that "IF/WHEN" we pull the trigger, it would make sense for you to ship your cam cores directly to WebCam in CA. Conversely, when all the sets are done, If WebCams does not want to deal with international shipping for you, I will accept your set and get them off for you. Either way, I'll make sure your represented.

Im still eagerly waiting for web to quote me for ceramic lifters.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Sounds good Luv2, i will have my cores as soon as badass01ram gets them shipped to me. Other than that i am in. And thanks for your effort to get this done.

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Awesome, I am in. I am in CA so also will ship mine (when I get them, probably around the 23rd of this month) directly to Webcam. Waiting for lifter pricing...

·
Registered
812 Posts
I see I made the list and I am interested but I wouldn't be able to take my cams out for exchange until this winter and it looks like you guys are looking to pull the trigger sooner than that. Thanks though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
why? what does that change get you? maybe we want to include that change as well, but need some context from your train of thought.

thanks Springs!
It's been awhile but I believe lift changes from .350 to .366. The duration changes from 228 intake and exhaust to 241 intake and 235 exhaust. With 4 valve heads huges lift is not needed and big duration puts us outside of the rev limiter with a soft bottom end. Look at after 4 valve cams for mustangs and such, you will see the same thing.

Tagged the wrong quote...

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't be able to take my cams out for exchange until this winter

Thanks for the heads up. List amended. If something changes your situation, just let us know.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been awhile but I believe lift changes from .350 to .366. The duration changes from 228 intake and exhaust to 241 intake and 235 exhaust.
Im a bit confused by your post...seems your giving the values from stock cams, too the proposed speed* cam specs we have posted?

With 4 valve heads huge lift is not needed and big duration puts us outside of the rev limiter with a soft bottom end.
are you saying that springs's suggestion of changing "lift from .366 to .380" is not needed as .380 is more lift (huge) than the speed* spec lift of .366, and is lift overkill?

·
Registered
571 Posts
My apologies. I thought the difference in lift mentioned was from stock to speed star, did not realize it was suggested in place of the speed star cams lift. The specs I listed are from stock to speed star specs. I agree btw, a little more than .366 lift wouldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a little more than .366 lift wouldn't hurt.

thanks for clarifying kja. do you think .380 is the number to be at in place of .366?

Guys: a suggestion's been made by two members (springs/kja) to change the (potentially mild) lift of the speed*cam from .366 up to .380??

Thoughts? Comments?

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
thanks for clarifying kja. do you think .380 is the number to be at in place of .366?

Guys: a suggestion's been made by two members (springs/kja) to change the (potentially mild) lift of the speed*cam from .366 up to .380??

Thoughts? Comments?
Any clearance issue with 10.25:1 pistons?

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
They would have to be mocked up to check for clearance. The safest bet would to be to use the speed star profile since it is proven reliable ad makes power. Unless someone wants to shell out $ for R&D.
Totally agree, I think we stick with the specs as they are...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I sooooo want to do this, but I don't have a second set of cams laying around and I refuse to do this during riding season. If you guys are doing this in the fall, count me in!! Im reading to start digging in the motor

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
Guys this extra lift discussion from 366 to 380 is just confusing things. I and I guess most of us want the speedstar spec duplication as has a proven performance history. If you start f*&king with extra lift you will run the risk of valve spring compaction and clearance on the valve to piston. Also increased lift will change the ramp up profile and could dramatically change the performance and Torque we are setting out to achieve.
As in a prior post, I'm in if we are duplicating the Speed spec or I'm out.

Heff

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I sooooo want to do this, but I don't have a second set of cams laying around and I refuse to do this during riding season. If you guys are doing this in the fall, count me in!! Im reading to start digging in the motor

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
This is pretty much the situation I'm in. I really want to get in on this, but I don't have a spare set of camshafts & I really don't want to tear into my motor right now.

That said... Do you guys think there would be any chance of organizing two group buys??? The first one for you guys that have a spare set, and then you could sell your stock cams to the second group after the swap? :confused: I think we're close to having enough people to do that... Just thinking out loud here :confused:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Guys this extra lift discussion from 366 to 380 is just confusing things. I and I guess most of us want the speedstar spec duplication as has a proven performance history. If you start f*&king with extra lift you will run the risk of valve spring compaction and clearance on the valve to piston. Also increased lift will change the ramp up profile and could dramatically change the performance and Torque we are setting out to achieve.
As in a prior post, I'm in if we are duplicating the Speed spec or I'm out.

Heff
Agree with you 100% :)

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys this extra lift discussion from 366 to 380 is just confusing things...I'm in if we are duplicating the Speed spec

i didnt want to post my opinion before a few others had a chance to express their opinion. Heff's quote above is my sentiment exactly. I almost want to suggest we drop the 380 conversation all together.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really want to get in on this, but I don't have a spare set of camshafts...
Any chance of organizing two group buys??? The first one for you guys that have a spare set, and then you could sell your stock cams to the second group after the swap?

Fantastic idea!

I lets focus on getting as many of us "first rounders" together so the discount is as aggressive as we can get. My thoughts are once we get past the first order with WebCam, we will have a working relationship to help ease subsequent orders through the system.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
second group after the swap?

heres the revised list as i now understand it:

FIRST ROUND

1. Luv2Lafmcc
  2. californiacruiser
  3. jerrior
  4. gilly
  5. yodie001 (*will not have a spare set of cams)
  6. heff
SECOND ROUND

1. Stellmon
  2. 4UTNV

This is getting a bit more involved, but maybe the play here is I present this as a single order, with a split delivery date? I'll feel it out and go from there. I know the savings offered from WebCam is based on setting up the machines one time, and just running multiple cams. 5 was an end quantity quote that we all seem to be happy with, so as long as both groups hit 5...:D:cool:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.