RS Warrior Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
They're here........

see the installation information sheet ! its very critical to read the break in procedure and the moly lube is also a very key part of the install. get out the big fans, do not ride the bike, do exactly as Lori @ webcams says to do for the break in, if you did not talk to her you should , because if this set does not live you may not get a second chance to have cams cut unless you spend the big bucks for the ceramic lifters.
this break in will require break in oil of straight 30 conventional for the 15 to 20 minute mid rpm break in, then drain the oil immediately after shut off to get all the suspended particles out of the motor then new oil again with a filter change, again conventional oil .
this break in and run test must go and be picture perfect . btk572

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
*** this is copy of the update I just posted in the TECH thread***

I'm including the update here to inform the group buy members of our situation.
All Tech comments/postings will be done in the TECH thread ----->http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/215809-speedstar-cams-7.html#post2877041

sigh...

its with a sad and heavy heart that I type this post....

Ken (bladerunr) had the cam's installed Friday night. On Sat he rode 80 miles...(to go get oil) and took the engine apart to take a peek.

Both the cam lobes and the lifters were etched. NO GO.

As comparison, he had his OEM speedstar cam and melling lifters that he put almost 30,000 miles of riding on, out of the engine, and available for inspection...no etching on either surface.

Ken's opinion is the "weld" metal on the lobe is very porous and is the leading surface the lifter is in contact with.

My understanding is/was (as was Ken's), that web will weld on a billet to the cam shaft, and then grind the billet to the required spec. From Ken's inspection of his OEM speedstar cams, thats what yamaha did. His inspection of the Web cam seems to be the 'magma' (is that the word?? molten metal??) from the weld just built up and then ground down to spec.

Ken and I will attempt a conference call to speak with Web tomorrow to address Ken's observations and next steps. To be fair, Web has been very vocal about their experience with our warrior cam...obviously for good reason.

Ken will have some high res pics that he took with a real (non phone) camera that either he or I will post here.

Although dissapointed, I am not yet defeated that I will source out a resolution.

I feel like I just typed an obituary...:(

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts