RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a gas cap that had a more aggressive look to it and one that was mostly black with some chrome. I decided on the ProTek keyless gas cap designed for a 2002 Yamaha R1. This is a step by step on the minor modifications to install it on a Warrior.

1. This is the base in stock form and it comes with stainless steel hardware. For the 2002 R1 it mounts with this 3 bolt pattern.

Insert Image:

67.67KB

2. You can see the two additional button heads that I removed to make it line up with the mountings on the Warrior gas tank. I then drilled these two holes out to 7/32 on the drill press.

Insert Image:

76.67KB

3. On the bottom side there are 3 stand off's for the R1 stock mounts. I removed the 1 at the 12 o'clock position with a dremel.

Insert Image:

70.47KB

4. I removed all the stainless hardware.

Insert Image:

64.75KB

5. I replaced all the stainless hardware with chrome hardware from "Air Fasteners". You can see the 4 bolts that will now be used to mount this to the Warrior's gas tank. These new bolt positions line up perfectly with the gas cap mountings on the Warrior. The gas fill opening and rubber gasket also line up perfectly.

HARDWARE:

http://www.afchromebolts.com/catalog_metric_allen.html

All button head bolts are (5mm x ./emoticons/emotion-11.gif

1. Short bolts are all 8mm long.
2. Long bolts(for mounting) are 30mm long. (orded 2 extra)

Insert Image:

69.32KB

6. I used an extra 30mm button head bolt to fill that 12 o'clock hole. I used a lock nut and dremeled off the excess length. There is not much room for any extra here. I used aluminum spacers that I milled down to just over 5/16 to act as new stand off's under the 2 new mounting holes that I drilled out next to the 12 o'clock position. I also painted the newly exposed raw aluminum with semi-gloss black paint just in case some rain got to it.

Insert Image:

73.91KB

7. This is the final look with the 4 mounting positions, and the gas cap threaded in place.

Insert Image:

71.5KB

8. Final look installed on Warrior gas tank.

Insert Image:

68.26KB

Insert Image:

79.74KB

The actual gas cap that threads in place has very fine threads on it so you have to be careful not to cross thread it. It also has a rubber O ring to seal it. This gas cap does not need to be very tight at all, if you over tighten it will damage the O ring easily.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Looks good, kinda looks like my stocker that I painted and polished the bolts...only about a mil times better! LOL!

Insert Image:

66.34KB

·
Registered
352 Posts
nice job on explaining it, I installed the same exact cap a year ago and didn't take the time to explain it that well. good job!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Alan, I am trying to remember to take pictures of the mods I do. It is easy to forget to take a picture of a step in the process though. I wish more people would document their mods better because I know by the pictures in the galleries that they are doing very cool modifications. I may want to know how they did it! [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]
quote:Originally posted by AlanH

Brian, nice work and once again a very informative and detailed photo presentation [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]VERY NICE RIDE

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I have been working on relocating some DynaTek coils to the left side motor mount. The new coil bracket is made by Tribal Motorworks and is chrome. It hangs in front of my shift rod by about an inch so now I am going to make a custom shift rod linkage that is mostly black with some chrome hardware on it. A different ignition switch will be used that threads into the coil mount and will allow me to also start the bike from that switch.
quote:Originally posted by ozzrider

You're on a roll man! Nice job! love that clean look w/ chrome bolts. what's next? [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you like this gas cap on your Warrior so far? I have the same one on my TL1000R and I really like it. After installing it on the sportbike, I kept thinking that would look really good on the Warrior as well.
quote:Originally posted by sodark

nice job on explaining it, I installed the same exact cap a year ago and didn't take the time to explain it that well. good job!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
way cool and very nice, thanks for the write up, it looks good, but is very dark, i think that would look better on a lighter bike, and a little lighter cap on yours (i have the same color)

but it is very nice

1 - 20 of 28 Posts