RS Warrior Forum banner

Sportbike Vs. Warrior

11K views 77 replies 37 participants last post by  i-man 
#1 ·
I'm curious, I've read some of these threads where some of you guys are claiming to beat up on sportbikes[?]. Sounds good to me as I have to make that change but who on here has actually had a sportbike and could REALLY ride it. By that I mean drag knee and actually use the outer edges of a 180 tire? I'd be interested to hear what the transition was like for you and how they compared. Obviously there will be some performance loss but are they as good as many of you are claiming? I have to get rid of my R1 and am pretty sure the Warrior is for me so any input from an experienced rider with first hand knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
Ive had gsxR1000 a 99 R1 Two tl1000r, two cbr900 rr and currently own a warrior and 2002 Rc51. The warrior will not beat a sportbike in quarter mile run or in the twisties or on a track with equally qualified riders THE END!!!!!!!!! However there is not a cruiser on the market that can touch it in the corners!!! It has great upgrade possibilities and is very fun to ride. You can get it into the high ten low 11s with some engin work or chrome this shi- out of it. The warrior is a great bike Trust teh following people See Below

#5 ·
I came off of a YZ600R and am so glad I did. I'm just not as tempted to defy the laws of gravity and it's so great with the torque. I think it's a good comprimise going from the R1 to the Warrior since they share a lot of suspension hardware. You won't regret it. I wasn't a great rider but I don't think it takes one to appreciate the versatility of the Warrior and the looks you get. Good luck in your decision. A lot of my decision factoring came from the great friendship I immediately found within this site. Much better than your typical sportbike forums.

#6 ·
The group of guys that I ride with almost every weekend is made up of a CBR1000, GSXR1000, R6, and an '83 KZ1100(hey, there's gotta be one misfit). On the twisty roads I am by far the fastest out of this group of riders. Now, is it the bike that is doing it? No.

If you put an average rider on a Warrior, and the same average rider on a sport bike they will be about equal. If you put an above average rider on both machines you will find the Warriors limits well before you will find the sport bike's limits. There is only so far that this bike will lean before you start scraping parts that don't fold up.

Straight aways, forget about it. 600cc sport bikes will eat a stocker for lunch. Don't even try liter bikes. But hey just look at the bright side, you're V-twin sounds a **** of alot better than any of those little plastic sportbikes.

#8 ·
quote:The Warrior will not run with the sport bikes but it will eliminate any other cruiser out there for a fact.

I think you're all forgetting one bike that will whoop the Warrior...step forward, the mighty Street Rod...Better in the twisties, better in the quarter mile, better top speed, better looking and last but not least, better looking riders!!! [8D]

#9 ·
LOL, Johnyknoxville is killing me. I worked a VROD over BIGTIME this weekend on the Dragon. That thing looked like a truck going thru the corners. Now as far as I can see the the only diff between this and the streetrod is rider position so I say this. Get on your "Streetrod" and see me at The Gap. We will see what that coveted Hardley will do.

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies, that's exactly what I thought and I figured..

1. many people are exaggerating or..
2. they're running with/against a bunch of squids[:0]

How come no mention of the Triumph Rocket III? If it wasn't for the price tag, I'd be tempted. I'm thinking by the numbers alone, it'll eat a Warriors lunch! 2300 and 140 HP/torque[:0] 17K[V]

I'm thinking I'm going to miss the R1 but I've come to realize I'm just not responsible enough for it[/emoticons/emotion-6.gif]

#13 ·
He's probably been hovering around this board for months just waiting for a chance to jump in to promote a hardley (johnnyknox that is). Typical spineless tactics. In the end, we're talking REAL cruisers. If you want to throw a Street Rod in - I'll throw a V-Max in. A Street Rod, just like a V-Max is more like a naked sportbike than anything else. Bad handling sportbikes at that...

Oh, and let's not forget about "The Mighty MT-01" !!

#15 ·
Any way, back to the real topic, the Rocket Three is a little bulky IMO. If it's shear straight line acceleration it will win out, but when the roads starts to curve a little the Warrior will win out with it's lighter weight, and more ground clearance. You also may want to look into the VTX's. They make some pretty mean machines. But there's one bad thing about them. Once you own one, you'll still always want the Warrior.

#17 ·
quote:Originally posted by johnnyknoxville
I think you're all forgetting one bike that will whoop the Warrior...step forward, the mighty Street Rod...Better in the twisties, better in the quarter mile, better top speed, better looking and last but not least, better looking riders!!! [8D]

Youve got to be kidding. Why dont you put on your little Hardley vest, Hardley chaps ,Hardley thong, Hardley boots, Hardley T-shirt, Hardley leather baret, jump on your little Vespa and play with the rest of the kiddies in your favorite AOL Metrosexual chat room.

#19 ·
Vrod, LMAO!

VTX? Naw, I'm not a light to light kind of guy, I like the twisties so I want the best handling "cruiser" I can afford that has good power but doesn't have to be a rocket.

Have you ridden a Rocket DFW? I can't justify the cost but would be curious to know how they handle. The 955i wasn't all that impressive on paper but it was still pretty nimble (considering the weight difference) and fun to ride.

#20 ·
quote:Originally posted by Monstrddg

Youve got to be kidding. Why dont you put on your little Hardley vest, Hardley chaps ,Hardley thong, Hardley boots, Hardley T-shirt, Hardley leather baret, jump on your little Vespa and play with the rest of the kiddies in your favorite AOL Metrosexual chat room.

ROTFLMAO!

#23 ·
quote:Originally posted by SteveAZ

Have you ridden a Rocket DFW? I can't justify the cost but would be curious to know how they handle.

No, I was just repeating what I've been reading in all the magazines. Every test rider that I read about said if they were going on a long highway cruise that this would be the bike. They didn't really bash it's ability in the turns but they did say that it had a few parts and pieces that would touch down without any effort.

#24 ·

quote:~~ Hogs are for eating not for riding ~~

....and Yamaha's are for making music not trying in vain to keep up with a Harley!! [/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

Well, you didn't really think there did you Jonny, I'm pretty sure Yamaha isn't trying in VAIN to keep up with Harley. I think it is the other way around, after all the Warrior is not the only bike Yamaha makes, it just is the coolest. Besides I thought it was Porshe who built the metric VROD and Harly just makes the clothes [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Sorry couldn't help myself...[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

#25 ·
Hey Johnnyknoxville........like most harley drivers you continue to fail at putting your brain in gear before engaging your mouth. But you're just the sucker HD is looking for. Had you done your research the Streetrod is simply an attempt to address the short-comings of the Vrod, as noted by the press. ie...foot pegs, exhaust, solid wheels, ergonomics ("riding position" for those of you that are challenged). Where as Hardly-Davidson has taken the criticism seriously enough to quickly come out with the StreetRod with some of these short-comings addressed, the bike still lacks the handling, cornering and ergonomic adjustments to make it a serious bike to consider for any normal person other than HD drivers. Other than being fast in a straight line, and it should be due to utilizing a sport-bike motor and not a push-rod Vtwin,(which by the way you had to give to Porche to work out for you because you couldnt even manufacture something you could put in your buells much less anything else), it is not a true "power cruiser". I have test rode both the Vrod and Streetrod more than once and other than good looks, (I'll acknowledge that), the bike is typical Hardly-Davidson....."form before function". Overpriced, over-hyped, and under-engineered. In otherwards, "lets make it look good and then we'll try to figure out how to make it function later". But since you spent about twice the money for that piece of iron, you go ahead and brag.....and pray I dont pull up along side of you. You probably dont have the faintest idea how to ride that thing anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.