RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Need some help in narrowing down a misfire condition. Today again, the motor started to run rough and at very low RPM. The issue seems intermittent as when I try to ride it, power delivery surges and drops, accompanied with misfires. If I let it idle, it idles at 400-600 RPM, occasionally popping up to normal idle briefly. I removed the tank, removed and cleaned the plugs (old-ish but gapped recently and working properly until 3 days ago). I also tended to where I have had problems before. Which is the main ground screw that has the main ground plug as well as two smaller ones. One being the PC III I believe. I loosened and re-tightened that bolt twice however this time it kept running rough.
So while running, I disconnected one by one all for plug wires. Whilst the two left leads gave a noticeable further RPM drop, the 2 right cables hardly made a difference when they were disconnected from the plug. Leading me to believe it is spark related.
So my question is, are the coils 1 plug per cylinder? What do each of them feed? Or is it one coil for the 2 plugs in the front cylinder and one coil for the 2 plugs in the rear cylinder? If so that sucks because it doesn’t explain why the right 2 plugs gave no noticeable RPM drop.

Anything else I can check ?

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
You might be running rich and loading up your plugs. Make sure your filters are in good shape. Also you have front coil for the 2 front plugs and rear coil for the 2 rear plugs. Make sure your coil wires have a good connection. If you have a power commander, check your connections.

·
Administrator
27,731 Posts
You might check your relocated rectifier for plug pin corrosion. And your battery health. And if your ignition coils are stock then remember the plug-boots screw-into the cables so gently twist them back into the cable ends. Your warm idle should be set to 850~950, wzrm it then disconnect the two smaller LCV hoses running to the intakes and plug them to shut-off extra air, then check warm idle rpm is spec, if it is then reconnect the LCV hoses. This is just a quick way to determine if LCV is leaking and you have unwittingly set idle at a compensating level (which can act like what you describe).

When you are riding, is everything good?
Its just happening at idle?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
Check over all the vacuum lines, especially the ones going to the sensors. And do the LCV troubleshoot as Arizona said.

When it sputters at idle are you getting any smoke or soot out of the exhaust or noticable smell of gas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the information. In the mean time, I’m again 9000 miles away from the bike for work, and have made the sad choice to relegate her maintenance to a 3rd party. With my commuting, she doesn’t get enough attention. This guy is supposed to be very meticulous and the above comments will further help nail it down.

The battery is new and is on the battery tender as soon as we stop riding her. I’ll forward the coil information to the mechanic. The bike is 2004 and has less than 7000 miles :) Also, the sputtering did not come with smoke puffs this time around, last time however, with the ground bolt issue, it did. That vacuum theory might be worth looking into because with all the mods and relocations, who knows what may have happened...

@arizonawarrior ; No she sputters at idle, heaves under load and makes loud misfires especially during a no load bike deceleration in gear.
Thanks again for the tips !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts