RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I bought a 2004 warrior with 1300 miles on it. It has a V&H Pro Pipe and Power Commander III installed. I had it custom mapped on a dyno at my local dealer. It runs great but only gets an average of 35 MPG. It's slow to start everytime and will stall at the first stop I make if I don't keep the throttle rolled on a little. The starting drill goes like this; crack the throttle about a 1/8th, push starter, then roll throttle off. It seems to start the second the starter button is released. Sometimes I have to repeat the drill twice. Is the timing on this bike adjustable are is an advancer requiered to change the timing. The bike Dynoed at 83.3 hp and 103.7 ft.lbs. torque. I would like it to start quicker and not try to stall in the first half mile at stops. By the way, I dolet it worm up a few mins. before riding. Any advise out there.
Thanks,
Martin

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
What Vector said...

Fuel injected requires no throttle on startup...

Sounds like the idle speed is a little low.. run it up between 1000-1100 (when warm),let it warm up for 2-3 minutes before you roll outta the driveway and you shoudl be good to go.. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

Works for me anyway...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My bike stalls, or comes close to stalling at the first stop at the bottom of my hill unless warmed up a bit. This is very common thing and is just the nature of this bike. I have less problem with this if I let the bike idle for 1-2 minutes in the drive before taking off. So I've learned to start the bike, put on my gloves and helmet, and that gives the bike a chance tow arm up a bit. Adjusting my idle to just a hair under 1000 helped a lot. Even it its at around 850-900, adjust it up and you should see this 'problem' basically go away. The adjustment is under the seat, a little gold knob near the back of the seat when the seat is off.

Like others said, no throttle on start. Just press the starter. It will seem to hang for 1/2 a second, then the decompression mechanism kicks in and the bike will start right up every time. This bike has programming that makes it idle fast for the first couple of minutes and then it will settle down to its normal idle when it warms up.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
IF it has a PC3 it should not stall at the first stop after a cold start up. ALso the way you have to start it seems to me the LCV is disconnected or not functioning.

IF the LCV is functioning the bike should run at a fast idle when cold then gradually slow back to base idle as it warms up.

Also, the Warrior does not have a real hot spark with stock coils. Mine started better with a spark plug gap of .028-.030 when I ran stock coils.

As the others have stated, is important to check the hot idle speed. Do it after a good ride, the oil needs to be hot.

You also need a good fully charged battery. Put a trickle charger on it over night to top up the charge & see if it helps. Warriors batteries seem to die off after 2 years of use.

The timing is not designed to be adjustable however you can file about .035 off the trigger wheel locating tab & rotate it counter clockwise. This will advance the timing about 2.5 degrees.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
first thing you said is that it starts slow... all warriors sound like they are struggling to turn over the motor. check the nut on the wire ontop of the starter to make sure that is tight. not uncommon for that to be loose which can make it harder to start. when i first got mine i thought the batt was bad cause it had that sound like an almost dead batt tryin to crank a motor. (even after an overnight trickle charge)

yeah, my bike came with the idle set at mid 700's and i think the book caled for 900-1000. so as everyone said check that. since you have a PC111 hoook it up to a laptop if you can and adjust the idle from that instead of the tach. its alot more accurate. give it a blip or two between each adjustment, let it settle back down and go from there. the bike shop might bring it back to the wrong lower RPM if you ever go back in for service. lol mine did

check the the clutch cable too. if its not fulle disengaging and you're idle is low i'd think that could kill it at a stop.

let us know what it was
[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
All good advice. How does the bike perform, otherwise. Do you have a lot of backfiring? What do your plugs looks like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Vector18, I know it's not a Harley. Everyone else, thank you for the advice and comments. I raised the idle 100rpm's and it starts without any throtlle and doesn't stall at the first stop of the day. It does sound like a fast idle for a V-twin but after abut 10 or 12 miles it seems to settle down a bit. The motorcycle performs flawless when warmed up. It does have an occational back fire or pop on throttle roll of but not a issue. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
mlstults,

Vector was kidding, I hope you know that... /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

He envies a certain purple Harley.. and don't let ANYONE tell you different... I saw the lust in his eyes myself as that Purple monster flew by.. LOL...

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
I'm not sure what he had in his bike, but I know he had alot into it! This **** purple thing smoked me on the line, smoked me on the roll, and smoked me top end. Anytime now, Irongoose will chime in and tell us what his purple friend has!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Mlstults, if the problem don't go away, it may also be a bad internal ground in the PCIII. What sometimes happens is that the ground seperates internally from vibration and the unit can't find the Zero throttle postion causing it to idle erratic and sometimes stalls the bike. If you can hook up the bike to a computer using the software supplied by P.C., you can see when its idling if thats the problem. If thats the cause all you need to do is run a jumper wire between the two grounds and the problem should go away. I had two bikes that had similiar problems as yours and both had this problem. Talked to P.C. and was told that this occurs in a small percentage of units.
Raising the idle will keep the bike from stalling, but won't solve the problem, if that's what it is. Good Luck.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Almost forgot, the purple monster, if you ask the owner he'll say its a stock Dyna Wide-Glide. I do know otherwise. Believe it or not its a perfectly matched 95CID motor that pulls better numbers on the Dyno than some of us with Big Bore kits and H.C. Pistons combined. The sad part is we're about even in the final drive ratio and his bike Red-Lines at 7500, so even if I beat him in the 1/4 mile, he'll always take me on the top end. I hope someone builds an ECU with an Adjustable Rev-limiter for our bike soon. He's dying to run me flat out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its not just mine then. I have only done about 600 miles on my new 04 warrior and this happened to me, cut out after about 1 mile, only when i was changing down into first. I got a good look where i had been and grabed a big hand full of clutch in time to stay on my mate had a shock behind me too. I also need a bit of throttle to start and it idles at about 500 when warm.
I thought this was where big v twins should be with it being straight out of the box, and after spending all my previous years on sport bikes (inline 4s)
Does not do it if i have warmed it up a bit my mate said i shouldnt need to warm it up being injected.
i will fiddle later and lift the idle a little.
glad of the info
love the site

read it often dont always say much

1 - 20 of 26 Posts