RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a noise in the area wear the starter goes into the motor, the nose is like a worn out bearing, kinda crunchy, hard to describe. Is this typical and how hard is it to change

·
Administrator
28,155 Posts
So the crunching noise is verified to be coming from the one-way-clutch assembly and not from the starter? May I ask. Did you use a mechanic's stethascope? Did you review the one-way-clutch diagrams in the service manual to see if what you hear and see make sense when compared to the bike?

Based on your post, the next thing I would do is get the bike fully warm and correctly check the motor oil level, then drain about half a quart of motor oil from the front gearbox 17mm, replug, then add half a quart of marvel mystery oil. Check the drained oil sample for grit. Ride the bike for a few miles so its hot. Do an oil and filter change while its still hot. Inspect oil in filter for grit. Ride it again until hot, then see if the crunching noise has faded.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok Arizona thanks for getting back to me, no I haven't checked the starter, the bike is quite when cold but as it warms the noise gets worse, tell me if im wrong but ones the bikes starts the starter is totally disengaged right, as the bikes warms the noise gets louder and then doesn't get any worse after a bit, I have been a mechanic my whole life so I know what a bearing noise sounds like, Yes I have reviewed the manual and from what I can see there is a roller bearing that turns after start, the starter works perfect so I know the starter clutch locks as it should. Its not a terrible noise but enough to be concerning. If that bearing goes it could be bad! I heard this noise last season and of course I seviced the bike before starting this season still the same. Anyway advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
A member told me that rattling noise up front has something to do with a generator chain making racket, or something like that. It does sound like a bearing rattling. If that's the noise you here, all of them do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts