RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well I figured out what my grinding nose is, the starter clutch is wore out, stop works but it flops all over the place, my question is had anyone ever done one, so you have to remove the alternator/flywheel or can you get it her done without, any help is greatly appreciated and thanks to all for helping me figure this out

·
Premium Member
8,879 Posts
Hi all, well I figured out what my grinding nose is, the starter clutch is wore out, stop works but it flops all over the place, my question is had anyone ever done one, so you have to remove the alternator/flywheel or can you get it her done without, any help is greatly appreciated and thanks to all for helping me figure this out
I wasn't aware that it's possible to grasp the Starter Clutch Gear from the engine case window opening for the Starter Motor gear though I've never attempted this feat! Perhaps using a bent end pick type tool it is?
I do know that one of the Idle Gears is quite visible though as I've had my Starter off many years ago while doing a MOD.

The YFSM does an excellent job as stated in my OP #6 Rattle/grinding sound near starter when bike is hot

You'll need to drop the front exhaust and the RH Rider Peg support bracket to gain access and for sure will need the cover gasket when reassembling.

Added jpeg of Stator Cover Assy w/Starter Idler Gears .. :>)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't aware that it's possible to grasp the Starter Clutch Gear from the rear engine case window opening for the Starter Motor gear though I've never attempted this feat! Perhaps using a bent end pick type tool it is?
I do know that one of the Idle Gears is quite visible though as I've had my Starter off many years ago while doing a MOD.

The YFSM does an excellent job as stated in my OP #6 Rattle/grinding sound near starter when bike is hot

You'll need to drop the front exhaust and the RH Rider Peg support bracket to gain access and for sure will need the cover gasket when reassembling :>)
No you are correct its not the actual starter clutch it is the idler gear, sorry, It is flopping around pretty good, when I read your above answer I looked at my manual a bit closer, sorry my bad. Can the idler gear be pulled and the bearing changed without removing the alternator?

·
Premium Member
8,879 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand your question as well as your stated "flopping around idler gear/gears".
  • Excessive axial movement or radial movement?
The AC Alternator is comprised of 2-components. The Stator and the Rotor.
The Stator is shown above in my OP #3 and attached to the cover with its accompanying electrical harness. When the cover is removed the Stator is also removed as part of this Assy.

The Rotor is attached to the tapered end of the Crankshaft on the RH side and commonly requires 2-tools for its removal. The Sprague Bearing is behind the Rotor.

Bottom line, the Alternator cover needs to be removed period!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts