RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had to put my 3rd starter relay in within the past yr!! 1st one went in soon after I bought the bike, the battery would test fine, but bike would act like dead battery and then only click when button pushed. After a short time new relay got stuck in on position, causing minor wire damage (slight melting of positive lead's plastic). Replaced that relay to start having same clicking issues soon after. Although battery tested good at two diff places, I replaced it with a new gell batt. (old batt didn't have enough amps) All is good for 4 months till this past weekend. I was in Daytona for Biketoberfest and the bike started to crank over slower at each spot. Then finally it would only click. I tried jumping from a car (engine off), but still just click. So I jumped the two posts and bike starts just fine. I decided to finish off the last day with minimal stops and start the bike with screwdriver jumping the posts. Just got another relay and all is good again.

Now my ? is....Could I have some sort of electrical problem, such as system overcharging, or short somewhere, to keep causing the starter relays to go bad? Or am I just a victim of buying the cheap relays from Ebay vs OEM???

·
Administrator
29,925 Posts
Compare the electrical markings on the eBay relay to the stock relay specs.
See the service manual starting on Page 7-28 for info about the starter motor and also a resistance test. Plus, see Page 7-26 for how to actually test the failed starter relay to see which 'side' of the relay has failed. Knowing that will provide a path to determine why these relays are failing, assuming its not a parts quality issue.

Once your results are posted maybe a few of the guys can help more.

I should ask if you have any error messages on the gauge when you use the kill-switch to shut-down the motor, and if there are any error codes in the memory.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Have you followed the wire you talked about 'melting' a bit? I would follow that wire wherever it goes and make sure there is no issue along the path....almost sounds like there is....

Check all grounds too, my FJR suffers from really crappy grounds and had to be recalled (I did the recall myself). Inside the warrior headlight bucket is a connector that joins grounds together. The connector has a 'spider' plugged into it. Simply joins the grounds together. I would check that and make sure it is happy. It is the white connector with a black cap on it.

Is there any added power requirements on this bike? (extra lights, music, tricky air, etc) If so, depending on where they are grounded or sourcing power, that could be part of the issue.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Check the starter cable lug @ the starter connection they are known to be/come loose. High resistance at that connection increases the amp load on the rest of the system.
Insure the connection is clean & tight. An external "star" washer added to the starter post will help.

Being anal about wiring IMHO the battery & starting system wires on the Warrior are sized on the small side. The battery/starter cables on my ride are made up using 12V automotive battery/starter cable.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I've checked connections and tightness this past weekend and before. Relay is same as oem. But I will do another thorough look this weekend. Looks like bad riding weather anyway due to hurricane passing by. So I'll either be working in garage, or trying to surf the big waves... Bike does have tricky air, 4 rows of led lights, and integrated tail lights. I always turn off with key and no error codes. I might just replace the + and - battery cables just to be safe too.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
I think the tricky air compressor uses quite a bit of juice. I would look to see what 'circuit' it is connected to. If it is 'pushing' the circuit, could be some of your problem.

Also check it's ground, if it is loose or ??, that could also cause problems...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tricky air is connected directly to batt on + and - is connected to ground (bolt) where it looks like a few other ground wires are run to. I don't usually lift bike more than an inch while riding, so pump doesn't see much use at all.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
I've just had to put my 3rd starter relay in within the past yr!! 1st one went in soon after I bought the bike, the battery would test fine, but bike would act like dead battery and then only click when button pushed. After a short time new relay got stuck in on position, causing minor wire damage (slight melting of positive lead's plastic). Replaced that relay to start having same clicking issues soon after. Although battery tested good at two diff places, I replaced it with a new gell batt. (old batt didn't have enough amps) All is good for 4 months till this past weekend. I was in Daytona for Biketoberfest and the bike started to crank over slower at each spot. Then finally it would only click. I tried jumping from a car (engine off), but still just click. So I jumped the two posts and bike starts just fine. I decided to finish off the last day with minimal stops and start the bike with screwdriver jumping the posts. Just got another relay and all is good again.

Now my ? is....Could I have some sort of electrical problem, such as system overcharging, or short somewhere, to keep causing the starter relays to go bad? Or am I just a victim of buying the cheap relays from Ebay vs OEM???
Based on the high lighted text the root cause of the problem is probably the aftermarket part.

Since the the coil of the relay is still functioning and audible the failure is the normally open contact that is unable to sustain the high current draw of the Warrior starter. You've verified this issue by by-passing the contact with the jumper wire.

I would suggest following Churchkeys advice regarding the starter cable post connection at this device since a loose wire will increase the current draw at the relay.

I also concurr with his thoughts regarding the sizing of the Warrior starting cables.
Specifically, IMHO, the flag terminal used on the POS battery cable is undersized and lacks the proper area for the load!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Actually, I can make them for you!!!

I have all the terminals, the hydraulic crimper, and some really good 4ga battery cable. I also am anal about soldering every connection and heat shrinking them to color match with adhesive lined shrink tube.

I made battery cables for my Odyssey battery when I bought it, and was thinking about making new starter cables too.. just never got around to it. I too feel that the stock Battery tabs and terminals aren't meaty enough to transfer the amps.

I'll do it CHEAP!! Just enough to cover cost of the wire and materials and shipping for any forum member.

Just PM me with length measurements and an addy and I can get them made up pronto!

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Actually, I can make them for you!!!

I have all the terminals, the hydraulic crimper, and some really good 4ga battery cable. I also am anal about soldering every connection and heat shrinking them to color match with adhesive lined shrink tube.

I made battery cables for my Odyssey battery when I bought it, and was thinking about making new starter cables too.. just never got around to it. I too feel that the stock Battery tabs and terminals aren't meaty enough to transfer the amps.

I'll do it CHEAP!! Just enough to cover cost of the wire and materials and shipping for any forum member.

Just PM me with length measurements and an addy and I can get them made up pronto!

Mike
Wow, I think you are going to be a busy guy Mike! I have an 08 and would be interested in a set. Let me know what you think is reasonable and shipping to CA.

·
Banned
830 Posts
I had a "Starter Relay" issue as well. Turned out to be a little green corrosion on one of the prongs in the plug. Cleaned it up, but some Dielectric grease in the plug and the issue went away.

Bob

·
Registered
386 Posts
Has anyone ever checked the voltage drop across the "choke"?

If it is truly a problem one would expect to see significant voltage loss there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quick question, had a problem starting my bike about 6 months ago, changed the starter relay and got a new battery bike was starting great. I'm in Dubai, too hot to ride in the summer, bikes been sitting mostly for 3 months but I have started it and moved it without a problem. Today I try to start it nothing, turn the key, all the lights on hit the start button nothing, not a sound, no clicking nothing. I flip the kill switch on and off, bike starts up. Turn it off same thing I have to play with the kill switch to start it. Any recommendations. Thanks AD

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Yamaha Roadliner S Midnight
999 Posts

I have read this post with relish ( didn’t have any Mayo). When I first got BB I went through 3 starter units. Because of this the last time the guys at Yamaha went over the bike with a fine tooth comb and found no electrical reason for them to go. As most here know a cretin flipped my bike and when attempting to start it all those instances showed up. If I had hair I would have been pulling it out. Anyway it turned out the starter motor had disintegrated ( it had managed to hold the broken magnets together until the flip where at just feel apart on the inside ). Or it could be just your starter motor cable so check that out😎😎🐝

1 - 20 of 33 Posts