RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a weird problem with my 05 Warrior. I was riding for about 20 minutes and shut 5he bike down the same way I always do, bike in neutral, shut down with the key. The starter was running trying to start the bike with the key off and out. I turned the key back on and the bike started back up without me hitting the starter button. I revved it a couple times, and shut it off. Every thing seemed normal at that point. I started it again and shut it down again and all still normal. I walked into store I had stopped at and came back out less than 5 minutes later. As I was walking up to it, still 20 feet away, the starter starts running again. It stopped on it's own before I got up to it. It started up fine. I shut it back down. All normal. I walked back to the store entrance to talk to a guy and it did it again. Again it stopped before I got there, but then did it again, still before I got back to it. By the time I got back to the bike it had stopped again, but it was turning over very slow then stopped. I put the key in and tried to start it but there was nothing. No lights no display, dead battery probably. I'm waiting on a friend for a jump right now. I disconnected the negative battery post while I'm waiting

Anyone ever have an issue like this before? Any idea what to check? Starter solenoid maybe?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So My friend showed up and we hooked up jumper cables after about a minute it started. It did try starting without the starter button pushed once during that time, but just for a second. After getting home and shutting it off it didn't try starting on its own, but I disconnected the negative battery terminal anyway.

I'm not sure if any of this is relevant, but the bike was hit while parked and knocked over 2 weeks ago. The rear tail light was busted, the exhaust dented, passenger foot peg scratched, and rear brake lever bent a bit. My helmet was over the front brake and throttle, so it cushioned them and there seemed to be no damage there. It has run fine with nothing abnormal until today. It's my daily driver, so I ride every day.

I think I replaced the starter solenoid a couple years ago with a cheap one off eBay. It has had no issues with the cheap solenoid until today if that's the issue. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Sounds like the starter solenoid is failing and shorting out. But I don't know to much.:p

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well since I have 2 Warriors, I swapped the starter solenoids from one to the other. They are both working properly for now. :rolleyes: I hate to think of this happening when I'm not around to disconnect the battery though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this same thing happen to me right after I had replaced my starter relay. I was replacing the relay because the bike would just click sometimes, then sometimes it would turn over like normal when I went out to start it. Bike is usually on a battery tender, so I assumed the starter relay.

But after replacing it, the bike started turning over on its own, and the random starter clicking still persisted. I ended up checking every connection to make sure I wasn't crossing any wires anywhere. Got all the way to the battery itself, which ended up testing bad! Replaced it and never had the problem again.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is one of those times to use the Yamaha part.
You're probably right there!

So I had no starter relay problems with either Warrior until last weekend. I went to start up the "other Warrior", the one I put the suspect relay in. It hadn't been started in a while, and turned over a few times without firing up and then clicked. I plugged in the charger and then noticed it was trying to start with the key off. So I know now that the starter relay was the issue.

Unfortunately, I ordered a replacement off of Amazon. It came in today, but it doesn't work at all. When installed in either Warrior, the bike has no lights, fuel pump, or LCPV movement.

The stock one on Partzilla sure isn't cheap though! $72 plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
8,720 Posts
The Amazon part is for the Road* and the reason.
The battery connections are vice versa if you look at the copper buss to fuse.
It's still not up to par and suggest OEM

·
Premium Member
8,720 Posts
This is what it should look like. Take note of the copper buss on RH terminal to fuse :>)
If it's as stated the wiring can be reversed but still suggest OEM for this device.

·
Administrator
28,201 Posts
Might also be good to find R* wiring diagram (1600 and 1670) to compare the four female spades in case connections to circuits differ between R* (or any other mc) and the factory R*W device. The wiring from bike to spades may be arranged differently. Plus the relay you have might be intended for the R* 1600 or 1670 model, depending on the seller's lack of knowledge. Or the relay could be for some other mc. This is critical because if the main connections or spades are wrong then you risk significant damage.

So many ways to get hurt on this. Its why ordering from a Yamaha dealer is the best move. Most resellers are oblivious to differences. Go to Yami (or one of the few known-reliable resellers).

·
Premium Member
8,720 Posts
I've mentored a handful or more of members on this specific starter relay and the reason for the jpeg photo but always suggest to R&R with the OEM component.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just adding my two bobs worth ( more Australian slang for opinion ). I have mentioned here that my bike has had 4 or 5 replacements of the starter solenoid. Yamaha service department have stated that they use after market replacements. The SM had ordered an original part from Yamaha Japan and will be installed while the bike is off the road. Yesterday I found out that only 40 of the 05 model were shipped to Australia as well as the 05 is picky with starter solenoid that aren’t original. Yes they work, but only temporarily. This leads me to believe that my bike is like my ex wives ( take take take and no give lolol ).

·
Administrator
28,201 Posts
Ouch! That is funny, hope its not really really true!!!

I have to continually wonder if the thing that happens is the Road Star starter and the Road Star starter relay get mixed-up by un-knowing aftermarket (and dealer?) suppliers who think they also work on the Warrior. Over the years both failure issues have been solved by many members by their verbally stressing to the dealer parts counter that they know the two differ and you must have the Warrior part. Pay the extra and buy direct. Or find used here in the free ads, and always question for exact part number and verify verify verify.

I think the AUS guys years ago helped verify that some bikes were moved from UK to AUS by owners, plus the factory-to-AUS bikes were USA49 bikes, and also a few bikes later went to NZ in 2010-or-2011 that were first thought to be CAN bikes but I think turned out to be 2009 USA49 bikes.

The starters and starter relays on all these Warriors are the same as on all Warriors produced EXCEPT possibly the 2002 Warrior starter may have had fewer magnets or weaker ones, I forget. That was a very long time ago.

I guess what I am suggesting is this bike is a rare smile-generator for many of us. Its dependable and fun. All it needs is the right parts, a good tune, and maybe even run it slightly rich for cooling instead of lean.

So yes we all know that starters and relays fail. The correct replacement parts should re-start that clock and should run long-term. We have to be more 'aware' than those who we are considering buying from.

·
Premium Member
8,720 Posts
Just adding my two bobs worth ( more Australian slang for opinion ). I have mentioned here that my bike has had 4 or 5 replacements of the starter solenoid. Yamaha service department have stated that they use after market replacements. The SM had ordered an original part from Yamaha Japan and will be installed while the bike is off the road. Yesterday I found out that only 40 of the 05 model were shipped to Australia as well as the 05 is picky with starter solenoid that aren’t original. Yes they work, but only temporarily. This leads me to believe that my bike is like my ex wives ( take take take and no give lolol ).
This will resolve your Ebay starter relay issue for sure. You'll trigger this new 200A relay from the Ebay component and problem solved :) plus a little rewiring.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the info. I have heard of other problems with the starter relay not working because they were the wrong one. Not just on Warriors either. I'm pretty sure I had the same issue on my old V65 Magna, but on that one I knew it was going to be an issue before I ordered it and knew what I had to do to make it work. That was a beater bike that I didn't mind repinning the connector on. I don't want to do that on the Warrior.

The Amazon relay I ordered was advertised as for the Road Star Warrior 2002-2009 and the picture was of one that looks like the Warrior one, with the buss on the right terminal. The one I received has the buss on the left terminal. I sent them a message yesterday telling them that it didn't work. I hadn't noticed the buss difference, so I didn't tell them that.

I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy one from Partzilla. They claim they are OEM parts, and they have been a good source in the past.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ouch! That is funny, hope its not really really true!!!

I have to continually wonder if the thing that happens is the Road Star starter and the Road Star starter relay get mixed-up by un-knowing aftermarket (and dealer?) suppliers who think they also work on the Warrior. Over the years both failure issues have been solved by many members by their verbally stressing to the dealer parts counter that they know the two differ and you must have the Warrior part. Pay the extra and buy direct. Or find used here in the free ads, and always question for exact part number and verify verify verify.

I think the AUS guys years ago helped verify that some bikes were moved from UK to AUS by owners, plus the factory-to-AUS bikes were USA49 bikes, and also a few bikes later went to NZ in 2010-or-2011 that were first thought to be CAN bikes but I think turned out to be 2009 USA49 bikes.

The starters and starter relays on all these Warriors are the same as on all Warriors produced EXCEPT possibly the 2002 Warrior starter may have had fewer magnets or weaker ones, I forget. That was a very long time ago.

I guess what I am suggesting is this bike is a rare smile-generator for many of us. Its dependable and fun. All it needs is the right parts, a good tune, and maybe even run it slightly rich for cooling instead of lean.

So yes we all know that starters and relays fail. The correct replacement parts should re-start that clock and should run long-term. We have to be more 'aware' than those who we are considering buying from.
When I bought the Warrior ( let’s forget about the love at first site Geeezzz in 63, get over it Bob aka Bear aka Roach ) I thought to myself I’m past the Harley money pit so now I can enjoy riding by knowing when I turn the key she will start. Man was I wrong on many levels lol. My saving grace is I bought 3 years warranty for her. Now including the Statutory Warranty, I’m covered for 39 months. So far looking at things I have been on the road for only 5 weeks out of 4 maybe 5 months. The one saving grace is all this stuff is covered under warranty. Oh and speaking of warranty. Because of the lousy way I was treated by the shop where I bought the Warrior ( Team Moto Honda, Nerang Gold Coast ). The local Team Moto Yamaha at Maroochydore have decided to take over my warranty for the bike. I won’t repeat what the Service Manager said about the other place lol. So for me this is terrific as the Yam shop is only an hour away as opposed to 3 hours down the coast. Am I frustrated, **** yeah. Do I want to get rid of the Warrior, no way Jose. I just want to ride and to get her better again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Final update on dead starter. I asked the Service Manager if I could have the old starter so that I could seek some information as to what caused it to crack up. Unfortunately he told me that it had to be shipped back to Japan as they had seen pictures ( not mine ) and they wanted to find answers. So it’s been a week with possible 2 weeks to go ???????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts