RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man am i nervous,i dropped my bike off at my local stealer for tranny gears,cps,coil pick up yada yada yada. I dont let anyone touch anything of mine,my house ,my cars and especially not my bike ,but what choices did i have? I bought a warrior so i could spend my time doing the fun stuff,modding and riding and not fixing.The only good thing is my roadstar fifth gear and patrick racing HC piston kit is going in with free labor.If this thing has a scratch on it or leaks a drop of oil !*$#[email protected]$^[email protected]?%# I HOPE THE COPS HAVE PLENTY OF YELLOW TAPE AND A FRESH BOX OF CHAULK

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Did you check with other members if your dealer is reputable? You are getting free labour on after market parts install which is better than most got. Make sure to check all fluids on bike before leaving the dealer, in front of them. Many here had issues of low or no tranny lube after recall.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
talked to the service manager and "tech"/mechanic who has done 50 plus of these recalls and showed him the parts i wanted put in and we all agreed on 1.5 hours labor for honing the cylinders and sizeing the rings was fair.all three of the local dealers are all owned by the same people and all three stores use this "tech" (who just happens to own a warrior that is also pretty modified )to do all these recalls.thanks for the tips ill be sure to check that stuff

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Well it sounds like your in better hands than most of us. How bad could a tech with a modified Warrior be?

·
Registered
778 Posts
needawarrior,
How many miles do you have on your Warrior? The tech should not have to hone your cylinders. And if they do they need a special diamond hone to do it properly. Do a search for the word "honing" on the forum and you'll get some very informative reading. [8D]

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2200 miles.a quick cross hatch on the cylinder walls is needed to break in the new rings properly.they dont need to be bored.thanks for the heads up !

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
They need to be careful, they can destroy the coating.

good info....churchkey is a smart dude....look at his additions to this post:

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45526

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
quote:Originally posted by needawarrior

2200 miles.a quick cross hatch on the cylinder walls is needed to break in the new rings properly.they dont need to be bored.thanks for the heads up !

Follow Irish's advice. Do a search on honing.

I had my HC pistons put in during the recall. I had the dealer order them from Orient Express. Let them make a little profit on the pistons. They did not hone the Cyl. Also, the service mgr tried to charge me for gapping the rings, but relented. The time alloted by Yamaha for the tranny recall is not enough. So the service manager, may be trying to make it up elsewhere.

Don't get antsie, the vast majority of us that went thru this were very satisfied.

Hey, as long as they are in there - think about new camshafts. See how easy it is for me to spend your $$$$. It would be an additional $400 in parts, cams, springs and lifters.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Shouldn't have to pay anything for a Roady 5th and pistons on a tranny recall. My Roady 5th was free labor and I know a couple thousand other guys who got free labor on pistons.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I grilled the mechanic for a half hour before I let him touch mine... I don't trust anybody but he bothered me the least of any. TPS went fine but for some reason code 11 and 15 showed up right when it was finished. They agreed to cover it even though it is out of warranty. Still waiting for the cps thogh. Oh and I realized they broke one of my aftermarket Blue LED lights that light up the motor in the dark... they don't know yet but that will have to get covered as well

·
Registered
122 Posts
get your gun out they will scratch something they will be careful but you will get something scratched? sorry but they can not help it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
peace of mind, tip the mechanic, hes not getting paid sh*t for doing that recall thanks to yamaha. as much as we all hate taking these bikes in, remember some of these techs are good guys and they all are only touching your bike so they can put food on the table and pay the bills. a little help goes a long way

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
WHAT??!?!?!?!? 1.5 hours to hone the cylinders???!!!??!!!

you dont do S$%^ to the cylinders, just drop the **** pistons in it..

theres a video of Frankenstein sticking some pistons in a bike somewhere on here by Amospro (SP), just pull the heads, rockers, and jugs, pop off the circlips, slide the new pistons on and put it back together...

dont F#$% with the coating on the cylinders.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
quote:Originally posted by midknight10

peace of mind, tip the mechanic, hes not getting paid sh*t for doing that recall thanks to yamaha. as much as we all hate taking these bikes in, remember some of these techs are good guys and they all are only touching your bike so they can put food on the table and pay the bills. a little help goes a long way

Very good point. Some mechanics are paid book. This means that if the recall says 8 hrs, that is what he gets paid no matter how long it takes. Others are paid hourly.

I tiped the mechanic who did my tranny recall, pistons and mild head work. Best thing I ever did. My bike is back for the CPS and TPS recall and I'm having him put in new cams & springs. And I'm very relaxed about him working on my bike.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
darkstar this is a direct quote from you "Posted - 06/02/2006 : 07:32:47 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the info Craig......Only 1 dealership touches my Warrior in the State of NH....
A1 SportCenter, Manchester, NH

I have heard good things about Plaistow PowerSports, but I have 100% confidience in A1.... " why the comment about i hope it wasnt plaistow powersports,it was and george did an excellent job,no signs of anyone even touching it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts