RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was taking stuff apart and found that after the accident one of the things that are broken is the steering stop tab.... i have the tab... it broke clean off but i am worried becuz that is part of the neck.

what can i do??? guys anybody else had this happen i am really bummed cuz i thought everything i broke was cosmetic and now this.....give me my options cuz i called BMS and havent gotten an anwser all i did was be on hold for 30 min.[V]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Have it tig welded back on, clean it up and then buy the frame paint from Color-rite and paint it again. I would probably get the neck x-rayed if possible to make sure you don't have any cracks.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Take off enough so that nothing gets baked or burned to a crisp, also make sure you clean it up well so you don't cook any grease. Most TIG welders won't touch it unless it's perfectly clean, no paint, oxidation etc.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Around here it could be welded for a just a few bucks assuming you remove the forks from the bike and make it as easy to get to for the welder as possible. Really look the forks over and make sure they aren't bent. Trees are easir to bend than most people think.

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Duct Tape

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
quote:Originally posted by PapaJ

Take off enough so that nothing gets baked or burned to a crisp, also make sure you clean it up well so you don't cook any grease. Most TIG welders won't touch it unless it's perfectly clean, no paint, oxidation etc.

Keep in mind that with this aluminum frame, the heat from the welding will travel well away from the site of the weld and it will travel fast. I don't know how much experience you have with welding, but aluminum is very different than working with steel. You can hold a piece of steel in your hand (for a few minutes) while you're welding the other end. If you hold a piece of aluminum in your hand more than a few seconds you are going to burn the crap out of your hand. Don't ask me how I know this.....

Papaj's point about cleaning is true as well. The reason a welder won't touch aluminum that's not totally clean is because any impurities on the surface will prevent the base metal from blending and the weld will not hold.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well visually i can not tell that the forks are bent really but i guess i will be able to tell once the forks are off

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
I snapped mine off 5 years ago when I cartwheeled it down a ditch and into a cornfield. A friend of mine new a welder who is experienced with aluminum. I removed the front end; forks, trees, headlight, bars, etc. and put the bike on a flatbed. I loaded the bike backwards so that the neck was facing the rear of the trailer. I pulled it to the welder and he did the work right on the trailer.

When it was done, he had it back on and added a bunch more material to it. It's probably a little bigger than stock now. That was 5 years, 20,000 miles ago. Since then I've also been smashed from behind by an SUV, lowsided into a guardrail, and wiped out on some hot slippery crack filler. But I have never had another problem with my new and improved steering stop.

Just find someone who knows what they are doing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts