RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been searching the forum for the past hour and have not been satisfied with the search.

Does the stock air box create a whistling sound? Before people start telling me to check my belt; it's not my belt. When I start the bike I get a quick whistle sound, then nothing but the engine ideling. When I start to accelerate the whistling starts again. The whistle sound only occures when I am accelerating. When I am at a steady speed, I hear no whistling. I was thinking it was my stock air box since it has a huge opening to suck in the air.

No, I do not have a BAK or anything like that. The bike is 100% stock.

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
I don't recall a whistling sound from the stock airbox, unless you count that time we were abducted by aliens. Its true, we were in Cabo San Lucas and a bunch of buddies forced us into cantinas for the whole day and night
OK that's my Roswell joke for the week. Sorry couldn't resist.

OK seriously, as the bike gets warm the system can cause whistling but once warm its not something I would expect.

BTW post some pics of your bike in your gallery dude.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm,

I wonder what could be causing it then. Ya, I need to get some pics made of my bike.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, after doing more searches it sounds like the whistle you guys get that have the BAK installed. Sounds exactly like a supercharger. But the bike is stock.. Yamaha didn't change the intakes for 08, did they?

I hate noises on new bikes......

·
Administrator
29,923 Posts
The Linear Control Valve seems to be the common culprit when warming up. That part# is 5PX-85880-00-00 for 2002-2008. I can't compare every part but this is mounted at the intake so its a good indicator all's the same.

It occurs to me that on man's whistle is another mans whisper. This is 102ci and eats a lot of air. Maybe its eating more air than your last bike and we're all accustomed to the sound? Just wondering.

BTW there is an air filter under the tank, and one in the right-side coffin. You can check them for good seal and make sure they are clean. One member posted a couple years ago he had a sucking sound that turned out to be an improperly installed filter. I guess it sounded like he wasblowing on a rubber band. He cleaned it up and stuck a little motor oil on the filter edge to give it a better initial seal then installed it flat and square, and the sound vanished.

fake said:
Ok, after doing more searches it sounds like the whistle you guys get that have the BAK installed. Sounds exactly like a supercharger. But the bike is stock.. Yamaha didn't change the intakes for 08, did they? I hate noises on new bikes......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts