RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, mysignificant otherand I have been having a difference of opinion on this one, because the thinks im "crazy" and says a basement is no place for a bike. So we thought we would send it out to the warrior world!!!!! I moved into a new house this year and lost my double doors into my basement where I use to drive my bike in for the winter. I now have a bulk head and have figured out a way to get the bike down into my new basement.

Here is the question to you all (those of you who ride year round neednot respond. I know move south!!!!
: Do I keep my bike in the shed and visit it in the Spring or get it down in the basement where I can tinker?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Put the wife in the shed and the bike in the basement! LOL!
If I could get mine in the basement thats where it would be with out a doubt!

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
I have a heated shed for my bikes. Plus it gives me a place to escape too during those long winter months...... if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
If it is going to cause a battle between you and your wife / girlfriend then keep it in the shed. I would rather keep my bike in the basement my self for security reasons and less extreme temp differences and like you said if you want to "tinker", do mods then the basement is the better option. If you do the proper storage steps it will be fine in the shed. If you put it in the basement are you moving "her" stuff out of where you want to put it? What harm would it do by putting the warrior in the basement? The question is how much convincing / arguing etc. are you willing to go thru?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Basement would be the best place.......up on a jack to take weight off the suspension.......gas treatment so it doen't go sour (Stabyl)....and a battery tender. I luckily have a garage attached to the house, but following these steps I'm still running original battery in a 2002.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Ah, simple. Use this as an excuse to build a workshop (like a 24 x 24). If you have a workshop, there are certain necessities that go along with it. Insulated, heated/cooled, with electricity for lights, power tools, a fridge(for beer), a nice stereo system, and a flat screen for the big games.

In exchange, remodel the basement for her the way she wants it (using your new power tools of course) and increase your houses value. Everyone wins.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Mine has lived in my garage for 6 nasty Cleveland winters without any problems. **** I don't even pull the battery, I just fill up the gas tank to prevent internal rusting and then put it on a battery tender in the spring for a week and she's ready to go.......That being said, if I could get it into my basement, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i keep my warrior and honda vfr in the basement, but i don't have any other choice. and the neighbors never see me in my pajamas.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you have a walk out basement,and you won't have to bring the bike down a flight of stairs. Is your basement finished? Or is it just a concrete room? If it's finished I can understand your significant others problem. But if the bike is going to be in a concrete cave of a basement, and it's heated. You'll have a perfect spot to "tinker" in the winter. I've stored my bikes a shed before with no problems. I suggest using steel wool and moth balls to keep the little critters out.

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
Being that some of us would have no problem with our bikes being in ourliving rooms except for the wife/grlfriend issues I think your asking the wrong crowd for an inpartial opinion. We are all going to say to keep the beasty as warm and comfy as possible. Ultimatley, you have to decide if the fight is worth keeping the bike in the basement or not. As long as its a dry shed then the bike is not going to care either way. Oh, and if there IS a nice day in the middle of winter where you just HAVE to get out and ride, how hard would it be to get in/out of the basement VS the shed?

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After last nite, the argument is over!!!! Her friends sealed the deal. You guys only solidified what I knew you would all say.
I will be sending it down a small set of stairs (with help of course), but I will have ramps in place. The basement is not finished yet, so it's heated and will be in my shop. As far as riding here in Maine in the winter, we may have a day or too that 's good to ride, but our roads are hammered with sand and salt. The shed isdefinately the easiest option, butthis way I can go"tinker" whenever I want without freezing myassets off! Thanks to all for your input.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts