RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike just started making a ticking sound when it's cold.

It sounds like a valve ticking in the front cylinder head. After you ride about 10 minutes it

goes away. The oil level is fine.

Any ideas where to start diagnosing?

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
How many miles? the warrior does have hydraulic lifters. But there have been a few warriors that had alifter collapse. There is a chevrolet lifter that is a perfect match. I think I can dig up the part # if needed. PM me if you want me to try, or you can do a search it has been a topic on more than one post in the past.

·
Administrator
29,683 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Yamaha uses weak lifters for some reason. Your ticking goes away when it warms up so I wouldn't worry, it's not hurting anything.

OTOH, when you get tired of listening to it. Parts are about eleven dollars, any good auto parts place has 'em. You can do the whole job with an Allan wrench.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I change the filter every time. I just changed it about a week before I noticed the ticking.

I've seen that video and I'm very careful to check the oil level properly.

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
One thing you can do to determine the area the ticking is coming from is to use a long 1/4 extension or metal rod. Haveone end pressing in on the area just above your ear lob and move the other around on the engine. There will be no doubt when you locate the source of the noise cuz the ticking will sound like it is right in your ear. They actually make mechanics stethoscopes with the regular two ear pieces and a long rod for doing this but you can do the same thing with what I have described above. That's a trick that has been around forever.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are there any "how to" threads for replacing the lifters? I've searched but can't find anything.

I can probably do it ok, but I'd feel more confident if I had a step by step guide.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
OldMan said:
One thing you can do to determine the area the ticking is coming from is to use a long 1/4 extension or metal rod. Haveone end pressing in on the area just above your ear lob and move the other around on the engine. There will be no doubt when you locate the source of the noise cuz the ticking will sound like it is right in your ear. They actually make mechanics stethoscopes with the regular two ear pieces and a long rod for doing this but you can do the same thing with what I have described above. That's a trick that has been around forever.

Done that a million times back in the day of the chevy 350.

A long wooden dowl, small one like oldman says works as well. And it's that nobby thing on your ear, called the TRAGUS...

"caution, put it on the piece 1st, ie, valve cover and then put your ear against it"...dont want to blow an ear drum in the process!

Good luck man...!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts