RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fired up the heater and installed my street sweepers today. But I ran into a problem. I can't figure out how to install the tips. The instructions say to make sure the lower carriage bolt aligns with the tip when installing. I have no idea what this means. There are no bolts anywhere near the tips of the header pipes.

Also The barrel clamps that came with the kit seem too big. I tighten them all the way down, and they don't camp down on the tips or the pipes at all. I have been beating my brains out over this for the past hour. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
So, unless they changed something, the tip clamps go on the slotted ends of the tips losely, and then you will have to push the tips on over the tail end of theheader pipes. This may take some twisting or muscle to accomplish. It's a tight fit.

When you get them into position, tighten down the tip clamps. You may want to loosen up the heatshields to get them into place and then set the heatshields so they're flush with the beginning of your tips, so it looks clean.

The tip clamps look really big when they're off the pipes, but once you've got the tips slid over the header pipes and start wrenching the clamp down it tightens up perfectly.

That's how mine were.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Make sure the tips are being slid over the header pipe. If you can't make the provided clamps work, band clamps will still do the trick, and your heatshields will hide them.

That's what I did after I got rid of the heatshields. They never moved at all.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made sure the tips slid over the header pipe. And I made sure the barrel clamps fit under the heat sheilds so they could not be seen. But the clamps are too big. I tightened them down all the way, and they don't even get close to tight. They spin freely at the tightest setting. I'm beginning to think the wrong clamps were in the box. If I have to, I'll just use band clamps. This kind of crap always happens to me.

I should also add that I have two extra band clamps. The band clamps are sopposed to be used to connect the heat shields to the pipes. I was provided with eight. But there are only three hold downs on each pipe. Why do they give you two extra clamps?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should also add that I have two extra band clamps. The box came with eight, but only six are used for holding the heat shelds to the header pipes. What are the other two sopposed to be used for?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Scoper50 said:
I should also add that I have two extra band clamps. The box came with eight, but only six are used for holding the heat shelds to the header pipes. What are the other two sopposed to be used for?

To hold your tips on, until they send you the right clamps......?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Scoper50 said:

Spares

The tech that installed my pipes decided that the tips looked better welded on without letting me know before..He did not like the look of the clamps.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Your rear pipe has a 2-piece heat shield and the front is a one piece, right? I had no extra band clamps when installing mine. The clamps used to tie the tips on are the bolt and tap-boss type and the heat shields are your normal band clamps. If you wrap the bolt and tap-boss clamp around the slotted end of the tips, insert the bolt into the tap and have no gap left there then they gave you the wrong size.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't even notice it until now, but I am missing the upper heat shield on the rear pipe. I can't believe this.

·
Registered
263 Posts
be ready for the tips to go flying. a friend of mine went through 3 sets of tips before he just left it alone and bought reihnharts.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Scoper50 said:
I didn't even notice it until now, but I am missing the upper heat shield on the rear pipe. I can't believe this.

Say a prayerandwish on a falling star before you call Sampson that they will sell you a shield. If they sell you one, repeat prayers and wishes so that it will show up.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mr Noize II said:
Scoper50 said:

Say a prayerandwish on a falling star before you call Sampson that they will sell you a shield. If they sell you one, repeat prayers and wishes so that it will show up.

They better send me a shield. After all I paid for it. I didn't pay $400 for an incomplete box of parts. If they don't send me the heat shield for free I will report them to the better business beauro, or however you spell it. I expect this kind of crap when you buy put it together furnature thats made in china. But I really didn't expect to be shorted on something so important. If I was missing a washer or a screw, that'd be one thing. But to leave out an entire heat sheild? Thats un acceptable. I'm really mad.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just put my street sweepers on last night and had the same problem.

The barrel clamps they gave me didn't fit the tips and pipes. I called them today and they are sending me new ones.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just realised that I never explained what happened with this situation. I back in december I called up samson and explained that I was missing a heat shield and the correct size clamps for the tips. They sent out the parts free of charge with no questions asked. They arrived at my door 3 days later. It worked out really well. Since it's still april in minnesota I've only put around 100 miles on the exhaust. I'm actually kind of expecting it to break considering it's happened to so many other members. But we'll have to see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue's with Samson 2 years ago when I bought my bike. This winter I did alot of paint and powder coat, barons big air and a new exhaust from Mortons. I would never again buy any exhaust system or parts for any motorcycle from Samson again. I had nothing but problems with the clamps, tips heat shields.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts