RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,868 Posts
Be certain all stake areas are unstaked. Spray wd40 or better wicking penetrating oil. Let sit an hour. Spray again. Wipe-off from the flats of the nut. Bike in low gear. Stabilize against tip over.

Use a breaker bar and 6-point socket. Better yet a capable impact and impact socket to break it loose. It's tight, and it looks corroded. It's going to take a lot. No need to be gentle. It's brute force.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be certain all stake areas and unstaked. Spray wd40 or better wicking penetrating oil. Let sit an hour. Spray again. Wipe-off from the flats of the nut. Bike in low gear. Stabilize against tip over.

Use a breaker bar and 6-point socket. Better yet a capable impact and impact socket to break it loose. It's tight, and it looks corroded. It's going to take a lot. No need to be gentle. It's brute force.
Roger that, it’s on 08 with a barons 31t pulley and 32mm nut not 36 like i bought. Bike is on track stands front and rear. Used pole from hydraulic pump as a breaker with bike in 1st and someone stomping the back brake. It just huffs and turns over when I give it the beans. I swear the previous owner of this bike was a cave man.

·
Premium Member
'04' Warrior - Super Fine Metallic Black
9,232 Posts
@Turd_fergusson ... You'll want the Full Weight of the bike on solid ground for this task when using an 18"-24" breaker bar or equivalent. This will improve the effective forces to the spindle nut. Also, you'll want to be directing the Forces down toward the floor using a 1/2" drive 6-pt socket. You can also park the bike so that the front tire is against a solid surface too.

Based on your photo it appears that the dimples of the Stake Nut were not relieved and that the nut has loosened approx 30° but I've been wrong before :(
gl

·
Premium Member
'04' Warrior - Super Fine Metallic Black
9,232 Posts
@Turd_fergusson ... I made a special tool to do this task Solo and w/o the rear brake when i replaced my middle shaft back in 2004.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Turd_fergusson ... You'll want the Full Weight of the bike on solid ground for this task when using an 18"-24" breaker bar or equivalent. This will improve the effective forces to the spindle nut. Also, you'll want to be directing the Forces down toward the floor using a 1/2" drive 6-pt socket. You can also park the bike so that the front tire is against a solid surface too.

Based on your photo it appears that the dimples of the Stake Nut were not relieved and that the nut has loosened approx 30° but I've been wrong before :(
gl
Woof ok yeah I’m going to harbor fright tmrw to get a driver. I’ll try those tips thanks as usual. I did a few PB blast soaks and brass brushing to clean it. I took a small drift and lightly tapped out the 2 spots where it pushes into the 2 notches. Hopefully a good soak over night and an
Impact tmrw should help. Will keep y’all posted. I’m installing a oem billet open cover cover. As always you folks rule 🤙🏽

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,868 Posts
Also my tool of choice for removing it. But UNSTAKE all the way around that bad boy not just at the stake points. Oh, and don't use a power tool to install. Just put some motor oil on the threads and use a torque wrench and 6-point socket (push downward).

For future, you might look through the Model Year Differences thread. Interesting stuff to know.

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha Road Star Warrior XV17PC
197 Posts
Hey,

Had the same trouble and posted the same cry for help! :)

Just had to make sure those dimples were pried out well, gave it a good spritz of Blaster, bought a 30" breaker bar at Harbor Freight, put the full weight of the bike on the ground, ran the gears up to 5th, placed another breaker bar wrapped in a towel between a spoke and the swingarm and....voila!...it broke loose on the first try.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can always stop by and borrow my electric impact. Its a H.F but I'm sure it will get it off. I probably have the socket too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
As always thanks a lot! I must finally be growing up lol I’m not rushing and I’m gonna wait to get a OEM nut. Plus i need an excuse for a new tool lol 🤙🏽

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts