RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladeies and gents.
Haven't posted here for a while.I hope everyone is safe from the pandemic hysteria .
I ran into a problem while riding yesterday and today.

My rear brakes went failing without any warning lol.Scary stuff.
All of a sudden when i needed to brake coming to a red light,i press pedal and its not working,all the way to the floor,not working as well.I managed to stop with gears and front brakes safely.
When i stopped,i started pumping rear brake pedal and it got little stiffer,as soon as i started driving again,i lost stiffness in it again and decided to head back home.On the way home after 10 minutes of what happened,brakes came bck to normal.

Today it happened again,i took it out for a spin around the block.I lost rear brakes,stopped,didnt do anything,started driving,they came back like nothing happened.

i checked brakt fluid,its full,i checked rear pads,they are at 50-60%.I have a feeling its a cylinder which is under exhaust but not sure....

What would you guru warriors look into first for that issue?
i am afraid to ride it again because its not safe for me and others.I need to fix the issue while still alive lol.

Thank you for reading long description and stay safe.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
That master cylinder is easy enough to rebuild or replace. Before you do that... check : Fluid level, Fluid leaks, Rear wheel bearing, Rear rotor bolts are intact and tight, Rear axle bolt intact and tight.
You can get a soft pedal from the axle and or rotor moving around.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
^^^
+1 with Ken. Anything that will cause the rear large caliper piston to momentarily retract will require more brake fluid displacement than the rear brake master cylinder small piston will produce on 1-stroke/operation.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just checked everything mentioned above, everything is tight(rotor, axle).Fluid is full in the container.Bearing is the question as i havent taken it apart.Bike i has only 21k on it.Is it time to change the bearing with such milage?

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
An intermittent loss of brakes was a more common occurrence in the early days when chrome wheels were popular on this forum.
The stray plating in the precision bearing pockets would cause premature ball bearing failures because the bearings were shrunk on the O.D. by the contaminated pockets which ultimately caused failure.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Here's an example of my buddy's front wheel caused by NOT cleaning the hub pockets properly for the bearings. He had to tow his ride home from Crescent City CA during the '07' Redwoods Rumble to Mission Viejo. It took several years for this to occur as I recall.
We were able to salvage the chrome wheel after removing the outer races with some grunt work, peening the metal and tender loving care :>)
Bottom Line, his issue started off with an intermittent loss of front brakes, on the way up to CC where we thought it was a MC issue but as you can see it wasn't.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have chrome wheels....d.a. m..n it lol....anyone want to buy the bike?I really have no time to do all this and other couple thing i wanted...school,work,kids etc....ehhhh

thanks for info.I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
^^^
Pitted ball bearings can cause the rotor to run-out collapsing the piston when going around a turn/corner and then the rotor runs true again. Does this sound like your issue?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^
Pitted ball bearings can cause the rotor to run-out collapsing the piston when going around a turn/corner and then the rotor runs true again. Does this sound like your issue?
maybe,i am not sure)))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts