RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone , I'm new to the forum thing so bare with me .
I am looking to do the wide tyre conversion 240/250/260 (not sure yet on size.) to my 05 midnight warrior.
does anyone know off anyone in Sydney Australia that does this work.
I have spoken to peter at spartan warrior who has been very helpful and more then happy to do the work.
I was trying to find someone a little closer to home.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
I am looking to do the wide tyre conversion 240/250/260 (not sure yet on size.) to my 05 midnight warrior.
I have spoken to peter at spartan warrior who has been very helpful and more then happy to do the work.
Good luck .. Spartan is the only name I’m aware of being mentioned in regards to anything Warrior ..

We’re you thinking of buying the widened swing arm / rim etc from the States and just getting it fitted here in Aust. ? If that’s the case it shouldn’t be difficult and any shop (tic) should be able to remove and fit.

hopefully some Aussies speak up who have done the mod.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck .. Spartan is the only name I’m aware of being mentioned in regards to anything Warrior ..

We’re you thinking of buying the widened swing arm / rim etc from the States and just getting it fitted here in Aust. ? If that’s the case it shouldn’t be difficult and any shop (tic) should be able to remove and fit.

hopefully some Aussies speak up who have done the mod.
Hey Baldy.
Thanks for getting back to me .
I was looking into the stuff from the states. But it all looks like it exchange ,unless I'm reading into it wrong. Like everyone trying to do things on a budget have you done the wide tyre conversion on your ride.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
I haven’t .. it looks neat but for all the reasons your finding I’ve never bothered.

And yeah it’s a exchange system from what I’ve ever read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
A 240 will fit a stock arm that has a few mods, been 15 years since I did mine. IIRC the aluminum angle
on the right side needs to be removed & I may have trimmed the shock / spring mount arms a bit & may have done some TIG welding in those areas.
Suggest scoring a 240 wheel & tire then fit the arm to them off the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A 240 will fit a stock arm that has a few mods, been 15 years since I did mine. IIRC the aluminum angle
on the right side needs to be removed & I may have trimmed the shock / spring mount arms a bit & may have done some TIG welding in those areas.
Suggest scoring a 240 wheel & tire then fit the arm to them off the bike.
thanks Churchkey
ill look into it
do you still run the 240 or have you gone bigger since doing your mod.
thanks for getting back to me.

·
Premium Member
8,995 Posts
@rigoli ... I have a handful of very early contributions on this subject if you do a Forum Search with my handle.
Unfortunately, many of the photo links are broken from prior Forum software upgrades :(
  • Here's an example: 240 clearances and the accompanying missing Flickr photos can be found here: 240 Swing Arm
    • You'll want to read this author's Comments/Descriptors beneath the photos if listed!
Example:
LEFT SIDE FROM THE TOP
WHEEL FULL FORWARD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@rigoli ... I have a handful of very early contributions on this subject if you do a Forum Search with my handle.
Unfortunately, many of the photo links are broken from prior Forum software upgrades :(
  • Here's an example: 240 clearances and the accompanying missing Flickr photos can be found here: 240 Swing Arm
    • You'll want to read this author's Comments/Descriptors beneath the photos if listed!
Example:
LEFT SIDE FROM THE TOP
WHEEL FULL FORWARD
Thanks Alanh heaps for the pics and info .
its really going to help out if i go at this mod myself.
have you stayed with the 240 or gone bigger again?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Where are you in Sydney?

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
You can also look into a Raider swingarm. Do a simple search and several things come up. This might be another option for you.

·
Premium Member
7,861 Posts
As soon as you got to a 240 tire or up not only do you have to modify the swingarm but you have to get a wider wheel. Most good machine shops would be able to modify the swingarm as it is not being made wider but one side is being cut out so it needs to really be strengthened. Personally I think it is the wide wheel that is the hardest part of going fat. You can have your stock wheel widened and upsized but there are very few places that do this. You can however purchase wheels made for Harleys already as wide as you want but then you have to worry about changing the bearing size to fit the warrior axle as well as all the spacers and adaptors to fit the wheel properly. If you want to go 240 then there is the raider option which is a doable conversion but you haver to find the raider swingarm and wheel etc. Buying a ready built kit is probably the easiest solution but I realize that the shipping to Australia and any customs duties is very expensive. If you are mechanical minded IMHO the easiest and cheapest solution would be to adapt a harley wheel to a modified swingarm. I am sure there are already large Harley wheels in Australia and like I said a machine shop with qualified aluminum welders could modify your swingarm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As soon as you got to a 240 tire or up not only do you have to modify the swingarm but you have to get a wider wheel. Most good machine shops would be able to modify the swingarm as it is not being made wider but one side is being cut out so it needs to really be strengthened. Personally I think it is the wide wheel that is the hardest part of going fat. You can have your stock wheel widened and upsized but there are very few places that do this. You can however purchase wheels made for Harleys already as wide as you want but then you have to worry about changing the bearing size to fit the warrior axle as well as all the spacers and adaptors to fit the wheel properly. If you want to go 240 then there is the raider option which is a doable conversion but you haver to find the raider swingarm and wheel etc. Buying a ready built kit is probably the easiest solution but I realize that the shipping to Australia and any customs duties is very expensive. If you are mechanical minded IMHO the easiest and cheapest solution would be to adapt a harley wheel to a modified swingarm. I am sure there are already large Harley wheels in Australia and like I said a machine shop with qualified aluminum welders could modify your swingarm
thanks for the feedback Christok
I have been thinking about going down the path of a set of fat spoke wheels.
maybe the harley wheel is the better option .
thanks again ,ride safe

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have done a 240 conversion using a Harley Breakout back wheel which I think is 8x18 using a Pirelli Diablo tyre.
I had to change the bearings, disc and pulley, I made my own brake caliper bracket and used a R6 front caliper. Just working on the front conversion now for the matching wheel 21x130 :)
Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread
Wood Tool Automotive exterior Composite material Bumper

1 - 20 of 27 Posts