RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hope im in the right spot. removed my stock tail light and wanted to put one over my side mount tag. bought a cheap trailer light and it wouldent work. when i hooked up two of the three wires it came on but when i applied the brakes nothing happend. what im gettin at is how do i make it work with just two wires. i have searched ebay and 99% of the custom tail lights they sell only have two wires. do i need to do something to the harness or the light itself? any help at all would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am not that good with electrics but my guess is that on the three wire one is ground, one is running light and the third is brake light. If your new light only has two wires then my guess is that the housing or base of it is the ground so you would have to attach the old ground to the new light somehow. Hope somebody with more know-how chimes in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that sounds like it could work but the light i got had a plastic housing. i have three wires from the warrior, black, blue and yellow. when i connect the black from the light and the black from the bike and the red from the light and the blue from the bike, it lights up. but i cant get it to get brighter when i hit the brakes. do i need to pop open the light and solder on an extra wire to something? thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
From looking at the wiring diagram in my manual the bikes black is the ground, the blue is the running light and the yellow is the brake light. By hooking up the lights the way that you did looks like the new lights black wire is indeed the ground. Is the new light a double filiment bulb or just a single filiment? It would have to be a double filiment to work correctly. I am at a loss on this one. If the new light only has one hot wire going into it I am not sure how to wire it up for run/brake. Hopefully AlanH will see this post and help you out. He seems to be the electric wiz at this sort of thing. Sorry I can't help you out more, but electrics is just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is a dual filiment bulb i know this. when it would come on only one of the little coils in the bulb would light up. plus the box said running/brake light. i think it has to do with the wiring harness. like a trailer harness only needs one hot wire. maybe when the brakes are applied the hot wire gets hotter? i dont know but thanks for the input. the guy at the store said if i have three wires then i should buy the running/brake/blinker light. it has three wires, but the third wire is for the blinker. he said it would work. i said it would only work if one of the two was brighter than ther other. i chopped my rear fender off and now have no tail light, so im kinda stuck till i can get a new one. thanks again for the help.

·
Administrator
29,916 Posts
OK you're gettingeverything too confused and difficult. Clear your mind!

First, here's what you need by light type:

For turn signals you need two power wires (one forleft and one for right blinker).

For tail Light = 1 wire.

For brake light = 1 wire.

Ground = 1 wire or a metal base you can run a wire from, to ground.

Your light can't handle blinkers because it doesn't have five wires. You said your light has three wires and the box said running/brake light, and the bulb has two filaments. So odds are one wire is the ground wire, one wire is the brake light filament of the bulb, and one wire is the running light filament of the bulb.

The Warrior has more than three sockets (plugs) under the rear fender as you probably already know. The Warrior's black wire is the ground. The Warrior's blue wire feeds both the tail light andthe license plate light. The Warrior's yellow wire is the brake light. The others are the left and right signals which you won't use for this work.

Once connected, if the running light seems too bright for the brake light, then try switching those hot wires (to reverse bulb filaments).

Hope this helps.

BTW here's one of alan's many gems: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/1/1673654/Warrior/Warrior%20Schematic.pdf

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i misspoke im sorry. my aftermarketlight has two wires. the warrior has five from the harness. im only using the ones that i unplugged from the taillight cause i only wanna run a running/brake light, no blinkers. my dumb ass returned the light so i cant try running a ground to the mounting bolt. i might just go get the light back and try that tomorrow. thank you for the help. im starting to understand. just takes me a minute

·
Registered
692 Posts
It might be helpful if you post the make and model of the light you bought. If it's only got two wires it will work as a brake light or a running light but not both. In order to to function as a running light and a brake light you gotta have three wires (ground, constant on for the running light and a switchedon for the brake light)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just got back from the store i returned the light to and bought it back to try out what bigr said. it worked!the mounting bolts are the ground. i connected the blue and yellow wires, and touched the ground to the mounting bolt and it worked. i new i wasent crazy cause the box said running/brake light. but it only had two wires. now we know. thanks everyone for your input. i have been a member for about a week and im glad i signed up. lots of help. i was (well still am) into custom trucks like lowriders with air suspension, but there forums are filled with so much hate. bike forums, or at least this forum dosent seem to have all that hate. thanks again.

·
Registered
692 Posts
notstock said:
just got back from the store i returned the light to and bought it back to try out what bigr said. it worked!the mounting bolts are the ground. i connected the blue and yellow wires, and touched the ground to the mounting bolt and it worked. i new i wasent crazy cause the box said running/brake light. but it only had two wires. now we know. thanks everyone for your input. i have been a member for about a week and im glad i signed up. lots of help. i was (well still am) into custom trucks like lowriders with air suspension, but there forums are filled with so much hate. bike forums, or at least this forum dosent seem to have all that hate. thanks again.
Cool glad you got it working and I learned something in the process!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Glad to see that you got it to work notstock. What threw me for a loop is that you hooked up your black ground from the bike to the black run/brake on the light and then put power to the other light wire and got it to light up. The bulb must of grounded through the second filiment for that to work. I dunno, like I said I am not good with electrics. All is good now so enjoy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts