RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Call me a titty baby, it's ok. I've owned 4 bikes in the past and NEVER had warranty work done. Now I get my dream bike and I have to take it in for warranty work.[:'(] I don't trust people these days. I guess I'm worried about scratching the tank or denting things up. The dealer has to replace a bad o-ring, so there is some extensive removing of body parts on the bike. I'm going to take pics of my bike before it goes in for a few days. I'm also going to talk to the tech and tell him how anal I am about any nicks, scratches, and dents. (in a nice way of course)

My wife is sick of hearing about how worried I am. See say's if they dent something, they will fix it. True, but it will never be the same IMO unless they order a brand new tank from Yamaha.

Sorry for the whining, had to vent guys. I'm sure most of you are like this too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I hear ya guy! I too get the same queasy feeling if any body else has to touch my baby. Take some deep breaths, it'll be alright good thoughts are going to you from KY.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
You're right, your wife is wrong. Mines an 02, it's been to the dealer twice. Both times were for re-call work. I think you're doing the right thing telling the service manager how anal you are. They may pay more attention if they know you're going to go through it with a fine tooth comb! Do a bolt check when you get it back.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
My bike had to go in for the TPS and pick up coil recalls last year and before I let thewrench touch my bike I insisted he came out and talked to me. As it happens he was the head wrench at the stealership and rode an MT-01 which uses virtually the same engine as a Warrior. We spoke for quite a while about bikes and he promised he would treat the bike right. And he did
I understand your worry as not everyone is as lucky as I was.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

Mine is a brand new 2008 with 900 miles on her, so the "new" feeling hasn't wore off on me yet.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Fake,

I hear you about your concerns. I would take the pictures for documentation purposes. I would also when dropping the bike off at the dealership would grab a tech and go over the bike with that person and get their sign off on the fact there is nothing wrong with it. That way when you get it back if there is something wrong you have proof.

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CBushmaker said:
Fake,

I hear you about your concerns. I would take the pictures for documentation purposes. I would also when dropping the bike off at the dealership would grab a tech and go over the bike with that person and get their sign off on the fact there is nothing wrong with it. That way when you get it back if there is something wrong you have proof.

Just my .02 cents

Ya, I plan on doing that. Arizona Warrior suggested I ask them what they do to ensure no dings happen to the bike while it's getting worked on.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have a good dealership, your dealing with professionals. When I was an auto mechanic I didn't even wear a belt with a buckle on it because I was worried about scratches. Trust me, the mechanics are more worried about scratches and dings than you are. They don't want to get in trouble. It's not like their gonna take the tank off, and chuck it onto the floor carelessly. They don't want to damage anything. Sure accidents sometimes happen. But they will be careful if they value their job.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Sorry to disagree a lot of mechanics could care less. The dealership I got my bike at scratched my bike twice and almost dropped her off the lift. After that I refused to even consider them for anything

Scoper50 said:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have a good dealership, your dealing with professionals. When I was an auto mechanic I didn't even wear a belt with a buckle on it because I was worried about scratches. Trust me, the mechanics are more worried about scratches and dings than you are. They don't want to get in trouble. It's not like their gonna take the tank off, and chuck it onto the floor carelessly. They don't want to damage anything. Sure accidents sometimes happen. But they will be careful if they value their job.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Damian said:
Sorry to disagree a lot of mechanics could care less. The dealership I got my bike at scratched my bike twice and almost dropped her off the lift. After that I refused to even consider them for anything

Scoper50 said:
Hey Damian there you are causing trouble again.
One of things that I have done with the dealership is establish a relationship with one of the tech. When they no that you are particular they take extra care. The Lexus dealer knows my wife by name and when she brings her car in for service they put their best clean up guy on it because they know that she is very particular.

We have all been where you are. We feel your pain but trust me it will be ok. Just stay away from sharp object while she is gone.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
CBushmaker said:
Fake,

I hear you about your concerns. I would take the pictures for documentation purposes. I would also when dropping the bike off at the dealership would grab a tech and go over the bike with that person and get their sign off on the fact there is nothing wrong with it.
+ 1. If I bring my bike to the dealer, I will take pictures Alan style (extremely detailed) and ask them to sign a paper concurring everything. I will also not do business with the shop if they don't let look how the mechanic does the job. Is not the first time I wanted to strangle the mechanic for what he did to my machine... You simply cannot trust anyone but yourself when it comes to a greatly done job. There is nothing more upsetting that to pay few hundreds for a crap job. Personally, I spent a little over one grand on tools for my bike so I can do everything myself. I just don't trust those guys... a local little shop is more worthy to me with old school guys listening to the engine with the ears, instead of hooking everything to a computer.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Right, I offer a tip in the front and tell them there can be more if things are right. I do the same thing with the cars when they go in for service.

I handed the guy a 50 dollar bill for my 600 mile service and he took good care of it. I don't blame you for feeling that way at all. NOBODY takes care of your sh*t like you do.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Being a professional mechanic this thread is starting to piss me off. You guys talk like all professional mechanics are idiots that have no idea what they are doing. Yes there are a few bad apples out there, but that goes with any business. What you guys don't even realize is the so called loser working at the dealership probably knows a **** of a lot more about the bike than you do. They have went to a motorcycle tech school, they have recieved specialized training on the warrior, and they just might take a little pride in what they do for a living.

Point being is that we're not all just a bunch of dumb a$$holes that don't give a crap about anything. I am a mechanic. I am good at what I do, I'm always learning, I like what I do, and I take pride in the work that I do. And one more thing. I don't require a tip to perform an excellent job. Tip or no tip, it'll be perfect when I'm done with it. Thats all

·
Registered
661 Posts
WOW!!! I tipped my Tech at the dealer $100. LOL. I'm WAYYYYY over the average tip! lol. Shrugs. Live and learn.

·
Vendor
4,401 Posts
I agree with scoper...I also agree that the bad apples ruin it for the rest of the bunch....I'd hate to hear what you guys think about truckers...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Scoper, it's great to hear that you take your job seriously and take pride in your work !
Unfortunately, many don't !!

When my bike went in for the CPS recall (had to be done before I could import it) , they really meesed things up . Tgere were bolts loosened out of covers that shoudn't have been touched ..and not tightened back in so they ended up vibrating out. The rear motor mount ..that has to be removed to get the belt off... was put on backwards with both the bolts and spacers reassembled in the wrong position..and partially stripped ...... there was a large flat washer that doesn't belong on the bike ..wedged between the case and the nylon/plastic roller next to the front pulley...

Edited: I had thought they didn't even change out the CPS but have determined that they did.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Scoper50 said:
Point being is that we're not all just a bunch of dumb a$$holes that don't give a crap about anything. I am a mechanic. I am good at what I do, I'm always learning, I like what I do, and I take pride in the work that I do. And one more thing. I don't require a tip to perform an excellent job. Tip or no tip, it'll be perfect when I'm done with it. Thats all
Chris, we are not talking about knowledge here. Tell me honestly one thing:
Did it ever happened to you to do a less better job, because you were tired... or eat to much at lunch... or simply did not feel like working on that car?
If you did it at least once, it was not fair for that person... That's what I meant by not trusting a mechanic. I am convinced that a Yamaha mechanic will pay more attention to his Warrior then to some other Warrior owner. It is in the human nature, has nothing to do with experience.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts