RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the idea of a tank bag but cannot see how it could not effect the finish. I could be wrong. I have a 05 midnight and the finish looks great but does not seem durable. Want feedback from other members who have tank bags.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I use a Givi magnetic tank bag.
To protect the tank, I lay a soft, meshed material over it prior to use.

It is sold in the uk bike mags as a non-slip material for luggage. example: http://www.motrax.co.uk/index.php?page_name=product&product_id=1094

It can be picked up in many hardware stores too ( cheaper ! )

It is VERY important that the tank is spotlessly clean before anything is laid on the tank!!!

There is no perfect protection, but this is very good.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I have been using a tank bag since the bike was new. At first i was real careful and as time has passed not so much.

It does effect it. I can polish it out but after a day or two you can still see it.

On the other hand, it isn't a show bike. I bought it to ride and to be comfortable. A little marred paint isn't going to bother me too much.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
That's the main reason I am not doing a custom paintjob. My girlfriend and I enjoy our long trips like our 6300 miler last year too much and a tankbag is great for maps/lunch/raingear etc. My tank is still in pretty good shape at 32000 miles so it can be done. That mesh stuff would help a lot I imagine.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I use one on my Kawi but dont like using on the warrior.I do have marks in the paint on the Kawi from the bag.They do polish out.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I use "INSTA-CLING LIMO DARK" self sticking window tint film from WAL-MART. It's a static cling type thick plastic film. It sticks without adhesive and protects the paint. I cut out a shape a little bigger than the bag and move it from bike to bike at will.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Make sure the underside of the bag and the tank are both clean and free of dust, dirt and grit and you should be fine. In the last 6 years, the only time my tank bag scratched my tank is when I got careless.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I bought my 08 Midnight last september and used the magnetic yamaha tank bag until I put the bike away for the winter. Like you I was concerned about scratching the tank. So before I put the bag on, I make sure all the surfaces are clean, and I also lay down a piece of Kobolt tool box liner. The only problem is the magnets will not work through the liner, so I had to cut pieces out of the tool box liner where the magnets sit. I do have some very minor scratches that are only visible if you really get down there and look for them. It's nothing that I can't polish out. I might have to look into that static cling window tint though. That might be the answer.

I love the tank bag because I hate wearing a back pack to carry my stuff. I also hate the idea of saddle bags on a warrior. I think they look good on some bikes, but theyjust don't fit the warrior image in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts