RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so the day after I got my warrior I ended up running out of gas and my gas light came on, I realized though after filling it back up, the reserve didn’t kick in or the light just didn’t come on. Could anyone help troubleshoot?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the light works but it didn’t come on when my tank got low. And no I don’t know about the dry breaks

·
Registered
696 Posts
The two dry breaks are the fuel line quick disconnects one is found under the seat and the other on the left side below the fuel tank. Disconnecting them and spraying with some WD40 or equivalents and then reconnect, they will click firmly when closed fully.

Above info is for original fittings, some bikes have the fuel disconnects changed for appearance sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
996 Posts
The warrior doesn't have a separate reserve tank. It does have two tanks but the engine always drinks from the lower tank the one under the seat which is about 1 gallon, the main tank is about 3 gallons. The reserve light comes on when the upper tank goes empty or at least it's supposed to. It could be that that sensor has failed. When you ran out of gas and refilled, how many gallons did you put in to fill it?
Add a photo or two of your bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,834 Posts
Yes. The main (top) tank has a hose exiting under its front left. That hose runs back to a dry break then to the underseat auxiliary tank, inside of which the fuel pump is mounted. If this dry break is disconnected even partially the fuel is stopped from flowing to the auxiliary tank.

Separate, under the rider seat is a second dry break for the vent hose that allows air into the system to avoid vacuum lock troubles. If this hose is kinked or if its dry break is even partially disconnected then fuel will not readily flow from the main tank (3.2 US gallons) into the auxiliary tank (0.8 US gallons). Note spec advertised mileage is 39mpg (many bikes sometimes get better mileage).

Its good to disconnect each dry break and squirt a short shot of WD40 into each female end then reconnect and gently press closed until you hear the audible click. Unless they are clogged this should resume fuel flow rate so the top tank can replenish the underseat tank faster than the injectors can spray fuel into the jugs.

The low fuel light illuminates when the sensor on the fuel pump housing goes dry (when fuel drops below the sensor head). That is about an ~inch below the top of the auxiliary tank's cap.

I get ~125 miles or more to the fuel light when riding normally, and ~100 miles to the fuel light or more when playing in the high mountains.

I mention all of this so you can re-gear your observations and maybe notice details that help solve this for you.

·
Premium Member
8,879 Posts
Here are 2 interesting reads regarding the Fuel Level Warning Light Circuit & Sensor (NTC Thermistor)
Since you've already established that the Fuel Level Warning Light is operating during the Key-On test I suggest the following with the Ignition Key-Off:
  • Visually inspect the 2-Pin White Tachometer Connector (Green & Red/Green wires) Top LH Corner of photo for proper connection/corrosion etc. If all is well proceed with the next bullet point.
  • You'll want to check for continuity (Ohm Meter) of the Green conductor back to the F.I. Pump 4-Pin connector under seat using a piece of wire for an extension to your meter probe. You're testing the Gold banded Green conductor to the Pump in the main harness and NOT to the Tach.
  • If you have continuity (Green Wire) then remove/lift the Tach and see if there is an issue with the Green conductor.
    • Wiring Diagram Enclosed in the attachment

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After inspecting the dry brakes I put them back together and the idle circuit runs smoother now. I guess we’ll find out when I get low gas

·
Administrator
28,834 Posts
There is a fuel pump inside the underseat fuel tank, it has a red/blue, it has a solid green (from the low fuel sensor to the tach for the low fuel light), plus two black wires in its gray color plug on top. This solid green wire is your next suspect and yes its a different wire from the one for testing the light at key-on.

The free e-copy of the service manual will help. Plus there is a color wiring diagram in alanh's stuff.

There is a test to verify, with low fuel inside the underseat tank, if there is voltage in the green wire to illuminate the low fuel light.

Its NOT real common for that sensor to fail. But the wire and plug might. Its a pita to unplug, its been a long time so I will let someone else chime-in haha.

Your 2006 is the same as all model years in this specific thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts