RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow riders. I have an 02 warrior that I bought last year and I’m trying to replace the spark plugs. I’m stuck on tank removal. On the videos I’ve watch there is a quick release on the left side of the bike for the dry brake. This bike has some thing different and I’m not sure how to disconnect it. Does anyone here know this setup and how to release it? I’m mechanically inclined but this is my first time getting into this bike and I’m a novice mechanic. Any help is appreciated.

Grille Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Vehicle

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,235 Posts
Looks like someone decided to remove the dry break and put in a full hose. Check under your seat to see if there’s some sort of connector for that line. Otherwise, I’d run your bike until the fuel light comes on before removing it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks like someone has done away with the dry break and run a straight line to the reserve tank. You can try and pull the tank and set it to the side of the line is long enough. If the tank is empty, you can also remove the line and oull the tank completely, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok ya that makes sense. I wonder what the benefit of that was? Id prefer to have that quick release there. I’ll have to see if I can find one and re install. Thanks guys for the quick response.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,724 Posts
Fuel tanks dent easily. This is your first go.

Wait for the fuel light to illuminate. Then get the bike on a jack tied down and raise the front wheel a hint off the ground. Keep the rear tire on the ground. Tie the handlebars straight so they don't rotate into the lifted tank.

Get the e-copy service manual for steps.

With bike stable as above. . .

Remove the left side hose clamp however.

Remove the underseat dry break.

Remove the rubber hoses left-front-undertank.

Lift the rubber protectors (if exist) at the two tank nuts. Gently remove both nuts.

Gently lift the tank from the side near back (not by the bolt-down bracket except little bumps to get it free).

When the bracket clears the studs, continue raising the back of the tank higher but avoid the tank hitting the bars or etc. Then slide your hands forward onto the sides nearer the front of the tank, keep the back up, then wiggle the tank left and right while pulling back and it will slide off the front anchors.

Control the tank. Don't let it bump anything.

Set the tank down on its bottom on a safe soft surface.

To reinstall, do the same in reverse. Go slow. The tank is like gold.

Cheer up the second time is easier because you know wassup.

Oh. The tank needs both dry breaks in order to service under the tank, like air filters etc. Check The Marketplace ads. Look at the online parts websites for drawings. Search dry breaks here. You will find a corrective path.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel tanks dent easily. This is your first go.

Wait for the fuel light to illuminate. Then get the bike on a jack tied down and raise the front wheel a hint off the ground. Keep the rear tire on the ground. Tie the handlebars straight so they don't rotate into the lifted tank.

Get the e-copy service manual for steps.

With bike stable as above. . .

Remove the left side hose clamp however.

Remove the underseat dry break.

Remove the rubber hoses left-front-undertank.

Lift the rubber protectors (if exist) at the two tank nuts. Gently remove both nuts.

Gently lift the tank from the side near back (not by the bolt-down bracket except little bumps to get it free).

When the bracket clears the studs, continue raising the back of the tank higher but avoid the tank hitting the bars or etc. Then slide your hands forward onto the sides nearer the front of the tank, keep the back up, then wiggle the tank left and right while pulling back and it will slide off the front anchors.

Control the tank. Don't let it bump anything.

Set the tank down on its bottom on a safe soft surface.

To reinstall, do the same in reverse. Go slow. The tank is like gold.

Cheer up the second time is easier because you know wassup.

Oh. The tank needs both dry breaks in order to service under the tank, like air filters etc. Check The Marketplace ads. Look at the online parts websites for drawings. Search dry breaks here. You will find a corrective path.
Thanks man appreciate the great info

·
Registered
Yamaha XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
870 Posts
many people here have installed small aftermarket dry breaks on the left side..
might be something for you to look into.. just use the search function of the site

1 - 7 of 7 Posts