RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Are the bars gonna hit? Mine come close now with what I have. I'd love to have an extra gallon and a half

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Tabascoman,

As we only widen the tank, the handle bar does not come closer to the tank than currently. (stock tank)
Some here downunder did made their tank higher , and that is not something I wanted to do, as I like the overall shape of the bike.

The only downfall with widening is that you really need the air coffin and the left hand side cover, as without it the engine looks to skinny in respect to the tank. Again that is personal, and up to every-bodies discretion.

Trust this clarified ;)

Dutch :cool:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Great job Dutch. Only ever saw one done the same in the flesh...our friend Csillagr from Hungary. The difference between the OEM and the wider tank in looks is minimal and a well worth while mod for the long distance touring guys.

Howz the Wurlitzer doing? :p

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Great job Dutch. Only ever saw one done the same in the flesh...our friend Csillagr from Hungary. The difference between the OEM and the wider tank in looks is minimal and a well worth while mod for the long distance touring guys.

Gav the tank did look good and it did not look huge compared to the standard tank
csillagr had a good job done in Hungry and the bars looked cool as well:D

this is one mod I would like to do so I did not have to stop so often.

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
baloo posted us some pics of roberts tank...did look well engineered...you had to look hard to realise he is carrying a few more litres in there.....

i try and grab the best one for here later

now.... my wizzy...let me see if i have this right...you are riding with us ya mates [were ya mates] ...who have oem tanks and we all stop at 100 miles [in formation] and you keep going.....!!!? is that how it's to be then huh...huh :p

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Howz the Wurlitzer doing? :p
Caledonian,

The Wurlitzer is still work in progress. To much work on and not enough play :mad:.
As soon as that project is finished, will post some pictures :D

Just for those that are interested. This morning, my reserve light came on just in front of a petrol station. Filled her up (Standing on the side stand) and got just shy of 17 liters in her. Next time will hold her upright and fill her up to the top :). Will record the mileage I get from this fill and post it later :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Oh yes I do - I'll get my camera out ... My brand new one to boot ... Lost my last one a few weeks back on the train ... Sobsob

Just as well you reminded me lol

How's things I've been seeing you jumping in and out of posting on a regular basis :)

I saw you getting into the power port thingy we watched from here ...um quietly lol

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Oops error in calc

Thanks to Cristok I revisitted this write up and noticed a huge calculation error. Original write up:
Many people asked me this question and I was always guessing, so I did the calculations:
Put a string around the weld: 1350 mm
The tank is not cylindrical but that does not matter for this calculation, so doing the math (Circumference=Pi * Diameter) : 1350 = 3.14 * D => D~430 mm.
Take away some for the welds and the thickness of the steel etc assume D=400 mm
D=2 * R => R = 400 / 2 = 200 mm
As the widening is tapered 25 mm at the back to 50 mm at the front (on each side) we can calculate that the overall increase is 25 + 50 = 75 mm
Now volume calculation:
Volume = Pi * R * R * H
Volume = 3.14 * 200 * 200 * 75 = 9424777 micro liter ~ 9.4 Liter
9.4 Liter ~ 2.48 Gallons.

Where I got wrong was the overall increase, this should be 25 + 1/2*(50-25) (to calculate for the taper)
Now volume calculation:
Volume = Pi * R * R * H
Volume = 3.14 * 200 * 200 * 37.5 = 9424777 micro liter ~ 4.7 Liter
4.7 Liter ~ 1.24 Gallons.

Still. this is not accurate because the taper is narrow at the back and large at the front (where the tank is higher).

I will do a recalc over the weekend including the front and back Circumference. Again this is not 100% as the shape is not linear but will come closer.

Maybe draining till empty and then filling up is easier, but where is the fun of mathematic then :rolleyes:

Mileage, I get about 280-300 Km before reserve comes up. (gentle on the throttle)

Trust this helps Christok :D

·
Premium Member
7,763 Posts
earlier you stated that you filled it up and put 17 liters in so even if the bike was not standing straight up when you filled the tank an extra 5 liters over the original 12 is still a 40 +% increase in volume which should lead to an additional 40 % or so in mileage before refilling which is fantastic. I have at least 2 tanks headed this route in the near future, my spare tank as well as my dented spare spare. I would say 280 to 300 km (174 - 186 miles) is a good distance to expect from one tank of gas. better than any of my other bikes and after 2 or 3 hours of riding it is good to get off to stretch anyways. Great mod Dutch

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Mileage, I get about 280-300 Km before reserve comes up. (gentle on the throttle)

Trust this helps Christok :D

Dutch :cool:[/QUOTE]

Pull the other one
Gentle on the throttle:rolleyes::rolleyes:
that's not the way to ride a warrior Lol

Dave

·
Premium Member
10,729 Posts
Is there any way to determine IF any of the internal floor can be lowered to further increase capacity and still clear what's under the tank?

I don't think much. In this pic the bolt sticking up through the sensor was jackhammering the bottom of the tank. Notice the rusty dust on it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Updated pics?

Dutch,

Unless I'm missing them, could you post pics of the new tank mounted back on your Beast? I'd like to see how good it looks.

Filicajun

21 - 40 of 60 Posts