RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt quite find the answer I was looking for by searching through past threads. I rode my bike to Pittsburgh last weekend, three hour ride. I rode it hard all the way out. when I got out there I realized the engine had started tapping at some point. Clearly louder on the right side.

I took it to Yamaha and the mechanic said to start by changing the oil and run a magnet through it to check out metal residue in the oil. He said then they could pull the heads and check the valves and lifters if need be. He wasnt able to recomend weather to drive it or not, just said it's up to me. I have 2,300 miles on it, it went out of warrenty last month. the tap does seem to be getting louder, and it deffinately gets louder as the bike warms up. I feel like it is turning into what I would classify as a knock as it gets warmer.

I'm just looking for any advise I can get. In the meantime, I wont be driving it but this mechanic doesnt exactly fill me with confidence in his abilities. We had to start a warrior on the sales floor so he could compare engines, to see if mine sounds normal (the new warrior had no tap)

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
mine makes all kinds of noises which i would say is normal but if you have one specific noise identified and it is getting louder you might have reason for concern

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I checked oil. Idle RPM seems normal but I can check later. The noise is always prevelant but mostly when riding I'd say, and mostly on the right side. I ride 80-90 miles an hour the whole way to Pittsburgh, thats what I meant by riding hard.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
Brian... is it possible that one of the V&H heatshield hose clamps is loose or there is a broken tab causing the noise and it's not the motor.

There have been afewisolated cases of lifter problems with the Warrior but i'm not sure that it might have been brought on by the trani recall campaign for the '02-03' models.

Any other Warrior bikes in your area that you can compare with for adiagnosis.

·
Administrator
29,671 Posts
It may be gummed up from mostly sitting all year. The Warror is designed to retain oil where it's needed even in fast turns so here's a link on how to properly check the oil level:

https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/service/viewservicetip.aspx?ls=star&yr=2003&lid=2&mid=61&tid=8

If you discover the oil is actually low, since the bike appears to have been sitting a lot
you might consider adding a small amount of Rislone to the engine oil.Not more than 1/2 a quart (a pint can if you can find one). Then run it for twenty milesor soand do an oil change. You can leave the Rislone in until the next scheduled change however I'm guessing your oil hasn't been changed in awhile
but I could be wrong.

The combination of thickened oil and possibly low oil level may be contributing to the reducedoil on the cams and lifter system.

Although I can't confirm, many members indicate a quieter engine with certain synthetics.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
quartertonroche said:
I ride 80-90 miles an hour the whole way to Pittsburgh, thats what I meant by riding hard.
As long as you were in 5th gear that's not riding hard
... that's where most of our riding startsout here in Socal with the Warriors

With only 2300 miles on yourride your next oil change is due in 2300 miles assuming it was changed at 600 miles!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I checked oil per the video and no change in level, it looks good. I'm going to do a change when i get a chance but I dont feel too confident it will make a diferance.

I looked at it more the the sound is clearly from the rear of the engine, hard to tell if top or bottom. Almost sounds like it's commmimg from behind the engine at one point, like in the tranny. How can I check that fluid level?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Double check your exhaust bolts on the rear pipe to make sure it didn't work loose. Just guessing, I had one come loose on my old V-max and I thought I blew it up.

·
Administrator
29,671 Posts
What you need, Doctor, is a mechanic's stethascope. Sold in most part stores. Get one with a smooth probe end, not pointed (scratches) and not rubber coated (melts). With that you'll be better able to determine location. In many cases you'll be able to pinpoint it. Just don't use it at 70-80mph
you'll wear out your riding boots!

How to check the other fluids . . . well . . . did we already help you grab a free service manual? Its the 2002 manual and some bolt torque numbers are wrong but other than that the manual works the same thru 2008 - andit appears 2009. Do you have high-speed web?

JUMP to Topic "2002 Service Manual"
1. http://www.paulmilner.com/yamaha/handbuch/warrior_service.pdf

quartertonroche said:
Well, I checked oil per the video and no change in level, it looks good. I'm going to do a change when i get a chance but I dont feel too confident it will make a diferance.I looked at it more the the sound is clearly from the rear of the engine, hard to tell if top or bottom. Almost sounds like it's commmimg from behind the engine at one point, like in the tranny. How can I check that fluid level?

·
Administrator
29,671 Posts
Keeping this separate: the Rislone is very good at removing thickened oil from hydraulic lifters and oil galleries. The only thingsbetter IMO are 3-in-1 oil or Marvels Mystery Oil, but you have to run it until warm then only ten minutes, then change your oil. With Rislone the oil change isn't critical.

The cams, lifters, push rods, etc are all positioned on the right. If the noise is both rhythmic and increases in speed in direct relation to engine rpm then your guess is probably accurate and a very good place to start. If its a sticky hydraulic lifter, Rislone will make it stop ticking for a few hundred miles, or permanently (what ever that means). Then you know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts