RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tempted to hang up the keys for a season....after this accident, im too fortunate. -somewhat long post, occational profanity.

If my accident in oct. 2007 didnt scare the *** out of me enough i had another Very close call almost one year later (august).Last september a buddy of mine and i went on a nicecrise around the back roads about town with the sun shining and unusual 80 degree weather, perfect.. Was about 630 pm when it happened.Unknowingly, because of the curvature of the road and the setting sunlight hitting the road just right, there was a big patch of gravel right at what id call the apex of the turn through a 3-wayintersection of which i had no stops and the right of way. Wouldnt you know, i hit that *** dead in the center while turning right. The irony of the entire event was all too much at that very moment when i remembered what happened nearly a year ago. In fact where i wrecked on the highway in 2007 was perfectly visible from where it all went down just then. My buddyi was riding with was on the outside of the lane, soluckyhe cut real close to the outside of the lane when turning and didnt get into it. Come to find out this is one of the "most dangerous" intersections in the city, not because of the gravel , but because of***headcagers blazing through there like they are in the indy500, no matter what the weather condition is.

Anyway somebody was watching out for me because when the rear tire hit the gravel i was just through the apex of the turn.. at about 20mph... I can recall losing gripof the bars and getting pulled off the bike about 10 feet before the bike slammed into the guard rail at about a 95* angle. I cant even explain what i was feeling when that happened.. almost felt like letting go of life watching the bike go ahead of me,headed toward this steel barrierfro hellin slow motionas i was sliding off the rear seat... Theres no word that i can use to describe that very split second........
After leaving the rear seat all i could think was, neck up, grounds comin, and rememberlanding on my right side sliding on my right forearm and hipbefore i realizedi my arm was getting shreddedand jerked it from underneath me, which then i kicked myself over onto my back followed by sliding up to the bike with myleft earresting on the bottom of the crank case.. i knew everything was working, no broken bones and all did was sit up and recollect myself followed by standing up and getting pissed while kicking the guardrail and yelling "goddamnit!" - its all i could do until i realized i wasnt dead.As i was standing up off the ground - heresthe other part of the irony - out ran a woman and herkids followedbya guy out of the house behind the g. rail..They were Vicki and Bill Pickleheimer, apparently bill is a member of theforums, owns a warrior,And runs acustom bike/car-truck shop..
They are extremely cool people, i cant thank them more for being so helpful and sticking around. Offered me something to drink, some water and a towel for my arm.

Plot gets even deeper.. Vicki brought out their 4" thick binder of all the letters, accident, reports, newspaper clippings, pictures, and so on of the accidents that had been on front of their house. I was actually feelin sick after seein all that stuff.. and im not really physically bothered by seeing accidents, gore, and deaths, but after what just happened i though i was too close to being anotherunfortunate individualin their binder. Basically the city of fort wayne has neglected to mandate ANY saftey regulations other than a speed limit sign to prevent things from happening at that intersection...less than 1 mile away they completely paved an entire intersection from corner to corner and added curbs(to eliminate the gravel problem.. that was 5 years ago.. this intersection has yet to get it done. **** they Pickleheimers had to fight just to get that guardrail that i hit after a car hit their house!! im not going any deeper into that ball of wax.. im just happy im still here and i was able to scrape enough spare parts together and w/ the help of a couple friends i made a 700mile trip 4 weeks later on my warrior.
Put on an old dented tank, welded up some aluminum, drilled some holes and put some bolts in.. a little spray paint and i hit the road with a bent wheel cause dammit noone was going to ruin my vacation. and it was absolutely perfect vacation at that.. perfect weather, ride, people, everything.. except the slightly bent wheel andthe fact thatthe accident was on mymind the wholeweekend

But when is too much, enough?? this is the second time i almost bit the dust.. Ive read TOO many unfotunate stories of our fellow warriors, as well as everything i hear on the news... i definately dont feel the same about riding anymore after this. Hopefilly i get piss drunk some night and i just forget about all that happened and be even more cautious... which doesnt matter can be bad too.

As far as the bike damagewent...left AND rightfootbrackets had stripped and bent bolts, and bent linkages, and ground down the foot pegs and retaining pins.Bars were bent on both sides, ripped up my speedstar exhaust(again) and bent the piss out of the header pipes. Bent the front wheel pretty badly and crushed theleft side reflector (or darn). Rear wheellooks like someone gravel blasted itone one quarter with gravelpackedinto the wheel/rim. Found scratches on all the turn signals..:stratches head: Of course the tank and coffin are thrashed (thecoffin air box waswhatmyfriend saw flying across the road.)The rider left rear corner of the swingarm hit the groundat some point and groundit upprettywell too. Also lightly scuffedupthe upper fork tubes, but somehow didnt bend them to apretzel, judging they shouldbe after seeing the front wheel!
..........And after some really carefulobservation i noticed the "clutch cover"wasso lightly dentedand lightly scuffed in a horizontaldirection as well asmild horizontal dent/crease on therider left of theswingarm, right in themiddle. Those dentsi could only assume were from myfoot getting wedged between the bike and theground, and waswas contributed to my beingforced off the bike... HOW myfoot didnt get into the rear pulley.. i have no idea (what the chances of that happening are). -i recently put a wanted post up too... cause i need some parts. It makes me feel really shitty that several of you guys helped me out in a time of needandliterally gaveme some parts for next to nothing... and this happened again. inexplicable...

I dont know why im even posting this on here..lastthing we need is more news like this, but in any case.. i justfeel i hadtoshare it seeing as how i really dont follow religion, but i really cant expliain why im still here. Its beyond my reasoning.
The warrior is an absolute warrior that will not die.. Icantbelieve its not totally trashed.. Somehow it didnt go head on into the guard rail on 2 wheels.. the bottom of the frame hitan upright postand ricochet between2 posts before i came up on it preceeded by the front wheel and suspension hitting at a perfect angle.. God, i really dont understand.

Its strange going from scared shitless to being absolutely, undoubtedly, furious.. All that built up before i found out that street crews had laid gravel on the shoulders the day before and neglected to clean up the huge pile that collected in the road!!!!!!

The good friend of mine said ashe was driving meto redimed with my bike on the trailer, "You know when your with someone and their presence is suddenly gone, especially a motorcycle, then when i saw you werent behind me anymore and i looked back and saw something tumbling across the road i thought it was your head, not only that that you were dead. I about wrecked and *** myself at the same time. Ive never turned that bike around so fast and used a cell phone at the same time."

4 people stopped their vehicles and got out and 3 of them called the cops.. i thank all those people that i didnt know.

Bill does some pretty nice paint work that ive seen in person.. ive gotta get my tins off get em over to him for some cleanup and paint.. Weird how this all came about.. *** happens.. but a lot of good came from it. Gonna get some paint work done, and met some new people..
Ill get some pics up somewhere once i get everything done.. before and after shots.
Thanks for reading.... and yes, i know i have lots of grammatical errors.. i gotten a little rusty over the few years ive been outta school. Bad habbits i guess!
Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: tempted to hang up the keys for a season....after this accident, im too fortunate. -somewhat long post, occational profanity.

Nice read. I can surely relate as I've been in a couple of bad accidents lately. The first being a rollover inour 4Runner, 2 years ago. I'm told it rolled 9 times. My wife and I both were pretty beat up from that. Hospital stays, physical therapy, insurance, loss of work, loss of the 4Runner- we still managed to get by. It took a while for my wife not to get freaked out by fast turns, bridges, and OTR trucks. She's come around though. Me on the other hand, well I didn't mentallyhave a problem (that I didn't already have). I'm of the mindset that you shake it off and try again. Truely "Different Strokes for Different folks".

Same with the bike wreck 3 months ago. Once I crawled out of the fast lane of I35, I thanked God for having a guardian angel keep my ass alive. I knew then this wouldn't be the my last ride. 'Course my attitude quickly changed from that to wanting to beat that cager's ass for the"oh, I didn't even see you" comment. Looking back, it's kinda funny remembering that when I was flying through the air thinking "well this ain't gonna end good". I fared pretty well, conciderin'. I wound up with a broken ankle and a little bit of road rash on my elbow.

I guess what it all boils down to, is, that you do what you're comfortable with. Jumping back on a bike and being worried to death about the next wipeout ain't no way to ride. The fun's all gone. Anyway, enough with my rambling.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Re: tempted to hang up the keys for a season....after this accident, im too fortunate. -somewhat long post, occational profanity.

not to down play this situation but alot of us have wrecked more than twice and we're still riding today, imo it only makes you a sharper rider in the end and helps you appreciate life that much more, when the good lord calls my ticket i'll have to answer but untill then i'll ride my a$$ off, just another lesson in life: when you fall off your horse you get back up, dust yourself off and climb back on

·
Registered
2,826 Posts

It's a good thing you where only going 20 mph.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts

My only advice is not to let it beat you, at least get a few months in and see how you feel then. Though I was not in the right mind set and really had no sense of direction, I still got on the bike after the wreck. JP had to take the lead when we hit just outside of Robbinsville but I did fall in behind him. Not saying you should ride with a head injury (broken bones or what not) for those reading this but if able jump back on or it will haunt you later. I have now logged in a good amount of time. By no means am I the rider I was before the wreck and I have excepted that...but I still am a rider.

·
Registered
29 Posts

i feel you. i just dumped my warrior a week ago. my boss saw the whole thing. back tire hit some gravel, back wheel started to slide, then caught. they say i flew about 30 feet in the air and did a flip before landing. luckily i was only going about 5 miles an hour. snapped off the left foot peg smashed the tank and slitly shifted the handlebars off center. walked away with a sore wrist and some sore ribs. but i will never stop riding. oh and if anyone knows where i can get a new tank for a good price shot me a pm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

this is what everyone tells me.. but i cant stop but wonder whats next.. Almost like it takes some of the fun out of it, but live to ride another day so everyone, including you guys, say i must to..
Well i guess in light of it, with that bent wheel.. i still took the vaca on the 700mi bike trip shortly after. Just before i tore it down for some winter mods.. was turning onto a main throughway and saw a pile of gravel and almost *** because i had no choice but to skim the edge of it.. I guess that did me some justice making me realize its Only a pile of gravel...
im just happyi was fortunate to only get a veryminor rash and a swollen knee... everyones words of wisdom really help. Im just relieved this stuff is more common to walk away from that i thought. I knew allthe crashesi hadduringbmx racing as a kid would pay off.. haha, i guess i can laugh about it now seeing as how i manage to land halfway decent.
Well its good to finally meet"superman" here!.. good to hear you are alright tho man.. thats pretty intense.
Well im convinced, imputtin in the order for my barnett clutch and manifold piping this week... now that i dont feel im not some lucky a$$hole, just fortunate to be able to ride another day!
Chris

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts

After my crash, I didn't know if I would ever walk again much less ride, but two weeks after getting out of the wheel chair I bought another bike. I am not the same fearless, balls to the wall rider that I always fancied myself as being. Rather now I take things a little easier than before. To me now the sound of scraping pegs is not the goal, but rather a warning to slow down and enjoy the scenery. Does that make a me a wuss, maybe if you value seeing how fast you can go, I have other prioities now. If I crash with the damage that I have in my right leg from my previous crash, there is a very good chance that the only option the doctors will have is to take the leg above the knee. I need that leg to work and feed my family, not to mention that I am rather attached to it, lol. No one can tell you that you should ride again after a crash, just as no one can tell you that you shouldn't. It is a decision that you alone have to make and live with, but as for me I chose to ride again, albeit a little slower and more careful.

·
Registered
665 Posts

I had a girl pull out in front of me in Jan. By the time the police got there it was snowing. Warriordog and Preach have never let me live it down for riding in the snow (even though it wasn't snowing when I was riding!). Long story short...my wife and I talked it over long and hard about whether or not to even keep the bike. I was lucky that I didn't get hurt. $6000 in damage to the bike and I came out without a stratch. I thank God for giving us the wonderful brains that we have so we could invent riding gear that protects us.

My wife took out a life insurance policy on me and told me to keep going. I got a new helmet, new pair of gloves and sewed my leathers back together. I was nervous for a while but Istill enjoy riding. I've only been riding for a year and a half and I think that accident helped me realize how vulnerable bikes really are. It didn't stop me, but it changed a few things.

Besides, my a$$ looks great in leather pants.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Now I know why my wife started that life insurance policy on me. LOL! Last year I was going through an intersection, and there was spilled hydrolic oil on the road. Bam! the bike was out from under me, and I slid completly across the intersection on my back. Thank god for leathers. When I stopped, I realized that I wasnt hurt, and nobody around me ran me over. I jumped up, took a bow, picked up my bike and pushed it to the sidewalk. There I had to wait until I stopped shaking, before I could go on to work. I was lucky to not be hurt, but I couldnt drive in the lane for almost a year, and I was a nervous wreck for a very long time. Get back on the horse.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts

you took a bow.. wow i wish i would have thought of that.. lol. what better way to shine on the spill. I witnessed a guy on his big dresser take a dive becuse of some diesel that was all over the road. The guy was laying in the middle of an intersection, not moving a whole lot and a cop had the nerve to get out and harass him to get up and move his bike.. Luckly someone stopped traffic and helped him up and moved his bike for him...

·
Premium Member
336 Posts

I saw a one armed man riding amotorcycle once..and a guy thatdidnt have hisright leg right above his knee..i couldnt help but wonder if they lost those because of bike accidents. Its always good to be able to get back up and ride again it seems every real rider has ever said to me. i spose most of my nervous paranoia i have came from that wheel and gravel piles..."Take it slow, and enjoy the scenery" has definately been the motto i can relate to. Donno how id feel about nearly losing a leg tho, i think i would be done personally.. were all too young to be loosin limbs just yet. When theyre all warn out and done work.. sure.Butmy thoughts go out to ya man (cadfather)

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts