RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Yamaha Road Star Warrior
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sometimes, just sometimes, I am smart enough to know what I don't know. My first bike was a Honda Nighthawk 700 with the venerable inline 4. Prior to buying my Warrior, my previous bike was a Honda 919. Standards, or in the case of the 919 a "street fighter," have always fit me well, so I didn't give much thought to handlebars.

Now that I'm a little older, like many of us, my appreciation for comfort has changed. My bike's handlebars and risers are stock, but I do have a Danny Gray seat and aftermarket forward controls. I find the riding position to be fine. I can ride for two hours without back or shoulder discomfort. The bars are almost the perfect reach for me and the height seems good as well.

But being the restless soul that I am, I can't leave well enough alone. Plus, I love the look of drag bars on this bike. So I'm wondering how much more comfort I can get by changing handlebars. I think I would only need maybe one or two inches of pullback but I'm not sure what height would be good. My question to those of you who have swapped out the stock setup is how did you decide what you wanted and how did you decide what height and pullback numbers were going to give you that? Did a buddy have a bike that you used as a baseline? Was it trial and error? Did you take measurements?

Thanks for your input!!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm probably no help as I have 18" apes. Though I really want to swap them out for tbars, or MX bars. I think going up in height takes pressure off your back and makes it more comfortable. I still need to work on my bike so I can ride longer though. Out of all the bikes I have owned it's the most comfortable but I can still only get about an hour before things start getting uncomfortable.

·
Super Moderator
7,442 Posts
I'm 6-2 and have 10in mini apes with stock risers and it works for me....

Depends your height
Your reach

I've had TT bars on my first warrior
And after a hour my shoulders would hurt..

Sit on a some different bikes with different bars and get a feel for different bars

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,235 Posts
I had stock bars on my first Warrior and TT bars on my current one (came with them). Ridden both for many, many hours with no issues. I’m 5’9” with a +3 ape index.

If you’re around other Warriors, see if you can sit on them to feel the bars.

Also, there was a thread with lots of technical data on various handlebars but I can’t seem to find it. Be patient, search, and read. You’ll start to hone in on what’s right for you.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,724 Posts
It's still typed into popular mods but not all of them are still available. Here is a jump. When you get there you have to scroll waaaasy down to (and through) the alphabetic list to find the 'H' section for finding Handlebars. It's worth it.

I've found that my body adapted fairly fast to handlebars on all my motorcycled over the years. Now I find my old body is no longer cooperating lol. The T bars still work for me. 6ft with 30 inch inseam and XL arms.

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Well I got the Yami TT bars and I ended up installing a set of 2" risers which was almost perfect. I also swapped out the stock pegs to a set of Raider pegs and that made the whole comfort level a 10. I never realized that the stock pegs were placed incorrectly while the Raider pegs are tilted towards you and are just a hair wider. I guess it is a combo of seat, bars and pegs to get the whole situation under control.

·
Registered
2005 Yamaha Road Star Warrior
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's still typed into popular mods but not all of them are still available. Here is a jump. When you get there you have to scroll waaaasy down to (and through) the alphabetic list to find the 'H' section for finding Handlebars. It's worth it.

I've found that my body adapted fairly fast to handlebars on all my motorcycled over the years. Now I find my old body is no longer cooperating lol. The T bars still work for me. 6ft with 30 inch inseam and XL arms.
I may seek something along your setup as we share similar dimensions. I'm almost 6 feet tall with a 32-inch inseam and XL arms (length, not width).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had stock bars and wanted something with similar pullback but lower rise. Went with drag specialties tracker bars. They feel better and look better IMO.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle
Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did a whole spreadsheet for mine, I wanted to add a couple inches pullback. Turns out our stock setup already has a lot of pullback compared to aftermarket bars (without going with huge rise). I ideally wanted some tall risers and a flat pullback bar but even that isn't as much as my '07 has stock.

So...
-I got stock dimensions and added to a sheet
-I sat on my bike and placed my hands where I wanted them, determined I wanted approx. another 2" rise and 2" pullback
-I went through a couple dozen aftermarket bars and listed out rise and pullback
-I did the same for using the Yami tall risers (I was able to find some and bought)
-I even drew a chart showing stock risers compared to the tall risers
-I added calculations to determine each combo of rise and pullback for the various bars and risers

My goal was a bar with max pullback and limited rise since I was getting the rise with the new tall risers, and I'm thinking it'll look funny with high rise bars too.

Ultimately, I decided on and bought a black Baron StarBar to use with my new Yamaha tall risers, my calculations showed +1.375" rise with +4" pullback from stock

I also bought new poly riser bushings and new cables for the extra reach (and new ISO grips while I was at it)

I now have everything and am just in need of installation, but first am reaching out to a shop to have my new chrome risers powder coated black (hopefully, if they can).
I'm also using a shop for installation since from what I hear the original riser bushings are huge PITA to remove without the correct press, so I'm having to farm out the work, will be quite expensive when all is said and done (parts alone I'm already in the $900 range, new +4 cable set was fricken expensive!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts