RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn between the stock can and buying some aftermarket pipes. I have completed the Stage III exhaust mod and really like the sound. My problem is that everywhere I go the **** stock can draws more attention than anything. All good comments of course. I was actually parked outside a bike show a few months ago and I had just about as many people stop by and check out my bike as there were inside looking at the high dollar HD's. I even had people stop and take pictures of just the pipe and ask who made it.

With that being said here is the latest.

Went to a friends house for a baby shower this weekend. He has recently bought a 100th Edition HD. I think this is one of those riders who bought it just to say he has a HD. He was not there when I arrived but came home before I left. When he got there the crowd around my bike including myself walked over to look at his bike. In just a few minutes everybody went back over and continued to check out my bike (sitting on it taking pictures etc...) When here it comes, he walks up and says, "Man that looks like a sewer pipe for an exhaust." I guess we did not spend enough time checking out his bike.

All I said was yep it gets everybody's attention, even yours.

With him being a speed nut I also had to mention the 102CI.

·
Registered
872 Posts
*grins* You should have mentioned the great price tag in comparison to the HD that the warrior has. Although I personally wish that MSRP was lower. Come on Yamaha...lower the MSRP and we will buy 2!

Man that 100th edition HD probably cost close to 25k. Ouch. Of course if you break that down it is probably pennies for each vibration that the hog offers with the twist of the trottle.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talking about the vibration.

I have talked to several different HD riders who said they had things vibrate off and was constantly tighting things. I personally witnessed my first such event. Also this weekend my wife and I were heading to a neighboring town to pick up a nail gun and some super. We saw 2 bikes up ahead turn on to the rode in front of us so I told her to catch up I wanted to know what kind they were. Not being a bike buff I could not tell from the rear but after a couple of miles they started slowing in the midle of no where. The rear rider pull up along side the leader and held up his left mirror. It fell off in his lap while riding down the rode. I jokeingly told my wife that those are Harley's. They continued and at the next stop they pulled off and I was able to verify they were Harleys.

Does the Warrior suffer from the same "vibrating parts off." I hope not but I use locktite when I remove and put something back on.

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BigBlack

...I use locktite when I remove and put something back on.

Any V-Twin suffers from vibration. They need Loctite even more than they need gas!![/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
518 Posts
A friend of mine just completed a 2 year rebuild of a 67 or 68(can't remember) sporty. He told me that he really likes my Warrior and is thinking of selling the HD and buying something else. He said," You know I really like "wrenching" but it does get old after a while."

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BigBlack

I am torn between the stock can and buying some aftermarket pipes. I have completed the Stage III exhaust mod and really like the sound. My problem is that everywhere I go the **** stock can draws more attention than anything. All good comments of course. I was actually parked outside a bike show a few months ago and I had just about as many people stop by and check out my bike as there were inside looking at the high dollar HD's. I even had people stop and take pictures of just the pipe and ask who made it.

With that being said here is the latest.

Went to a friends house for a baby shower this weekend. He has recently bought a 100th Edition HD. I think this is one of those riders who bought it just to say he has a HD. He was not there when I arrived but came home before I left. When he got there the crowd around my bike including myself walked over to look at his bike. In just a few minutes everybody went back over and continued to check out my bike (sitting on it taking pictures etc...) When here it comes, he walks up and says, "Man that looks like a sewer pipe for an exhaust." I guess we did not spend enough time checking out his bike.

All I said was yep it gets everybody's attention, even yours.

With him being a speed nut I also had to mention the 102CI.

The epitome of Hog envy...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hey BigBlack,

Maybe it was a sideways complement.

I've got a 2002 Ford F-250 Diesel. The tail pipe on that sucker is pretty large in diameter and is often referred to in reviews as a "sewer pipe" only because that is the only descriptive term that adequately relates the dimensions of the thing.

A mere exhaust pipe simply will not do for our Warriors. They proudly require a Sewer Pipe, thank you very much!

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
A freind of mine said the stock pipe was like a mustache on a beautiful woman. I doesn't matter how pretty she is, you just can't get past the mustache. My stock can now hangs on the wall of my garage with a collection of other stock parts. Maybe someday I'll put it all back on for that vintage stock look.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here we go again w/ the Yamaha – HD thing. IMHO It's like blondes & brunettes. I still have my hopped-up 1200 Sporty w/ plenty torque & sound, quick & light, man, I LOVE that bike! Now I got my Yammie, lots power, modern engineering & styling, still pretty light, easy to lean, when I'm done workin' on the sound, I'm sure I'm gonna LOVE it even more. Dudes, I still think that the HD duce or even the Indian Scout is still one of the best looking stock based cruisers out there. Blondes & brunettes, even some of the hottie redheads out there, I like to look at them all, better yet, would love to ride them all. Really, I could care less what type of “chick” a man likes, as long as I'm getting mine & you ain't messin' w/ it, I could really give a ****. But on the other hand, put my “girl” down in front of my face, get ready to back it up one way or another. Peace

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't think our continual discussion about HD's is really focused on the bikes. They have some nice (overpriced)machines. It's about the attitude that comes along with them for some people.

Anyway, I was in my local Yamaha dealer this morning buying an oil filter (about $13). They had only one Warrior on the floor. A red 2002 with upper shield and lower cowl. It had shogun exhaust and was priced at about $11,500 (I think it was the owners). I asked the sales person if they had others and he said they can't keep them in stock. Sold 7 last year and 4 so far this year.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
aztech, right on man. I'm with ya there. Most the guys i ride with are harleys. Just not many warriors in this area. buddie has the '03 duec with thier eagle pipes and what looks like thunder air, sweet ride, brother in law has an '02 heritage. they are both nice bikes and both get looks and coments when we ride together. course when i race or get challenged by another vehicle, they just hang back and watch me smoke em. and far as things vibrating off, every time a yami wrench head works on my bike, something falls off. No more yami wrench heads for me. blue lock tite is my best friend.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was not comparing Yamaha vs Harley Davidson, I was merely commenting on the attitude this paticular guy had. A replythen prompted a question about vibration but I never said one was better than the other or even compared the bikes. I commented on the conversation and comments that were made.

I think HD's do look nice just was never my cup of tea. I really wanted a R1 until I saw the Warrior and then I changed my mind.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I had a ahard time parting with the stock can also. Oh well, you have to give some. I must admit, I do love the look of the Samson Shortys though.

The one thing about the stock can is that the non-motorcycling crowd, equates the size of that muffler to power. And it gets their attention. If you like it, keep it, why do you think you have to change it?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sorry BigBlack if you think I've I messed your thread. That HD rider made a comment that you took negatively in front of a crowd. Easy to start comparing at that point. I bet at a baby shower there are a lot of non-riders. I just would of smiled & said something like “big sewer pipe? One of my buddies told me it looks like a big cannon…big motor, big pipe, you know, a big gun dude” Then keep smiling w/ a little chuckle & pride mention, “you know, something like its owner”. Chicks dig a man w/ a sense of humor. Peace

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aztech, no offense brother, it was truly fun to watch him drift off after I ignored his comment and continued answering questions. I did however tell him his bike looked and sounded good before me and the crowd went back over to continue going over the Warrior. I always give props because every bike will have something about it I like.

The group of guys there would not be able to distinguish between bikes if you took the name badges off so they could of cared less what name was on the tank. Of course this did not help his cause.

I know deep down he wanted to check it our more due to the occasional glances back over where we were standing but I guess pride can do a lot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Interesting discussion. As an HD rider, who rides a lot with a Suzuki vtwin and a Roadstar, I think the Warrior is a VERY cool bike; there is no replacement for displacement. My only criticism is that I feel they are overpriced. My 2000 dyna super glide cost $11.2k, $15k out the door tax/license/windshield/pipes/ignition, etc, etc, has taken me 45,000 problem free miles and is still worth what I paid for it. My Roadstar friend paid $10.1k, in 1999, and his bike is worth $5k and is an equivalent pig to a fatboy in terms of performance.

By the way ~ nothing has ever rattled off in 45k miles; I've had to tighten my left mirror, twice, and my air cleaner twice. VTwins rattle!!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
i ride with 3 HD's (a maxed out 95 Fattie, 00 or 01 Deuce, 01 or 02 Night Train, 02 Road King and an 02 VTX1300) and BY FAR, my Warrior gets more attention then all the others, even by the majority of HD owners/riders. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] people just cant get over the 'low sleek and wide' look of the Warrior, and neither can i. [^] i cant wait til i decide on which pipes to order, them the Double-T's and the PCS lowering kit.

****, im getting all excited just thinking about it. [/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

·
Registered
101 Posts
102-Copper ~ Warriors look way cool and, as far as the challenges of too many choices, wait until a lot of Warriors are sold and the aftermarket options increase ~ you'll end up even more choices. A good way to buy exhaust is to pick out the two, or three, you like best and then find out which offers the best performance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As soon as I save up I will be installing the Samson Street Sweepers. Baby on the way so not much for toys right now. I will have to do something about maintaining the attention I get due to the "sewer pipe" exhaust, any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts