26 January 2004

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
Customer Relations Department
PO Box 6555
Cypress, CA 90630

Re: Safety Recall Notice on Warrior
XV17PCPCR
Dear Sirs:

It was with great dismay that I learned of the transmission recall on my 02 Warrior. I am quite fond of this motorcycle. I have been riding all my life (almost 40 years) and have had only minor incidents of flesh meeting asphalt. The prospect that my rear tire could lock up at 70+ mph is enough to keep even the most hardened rider up at night.

Kolbe Honda / Yamaha in Woodland Hills has been most gracious in handling the issue. The problem is that parts are on back order. Now the bike sits. And sits. The weather here in SoCal has been very un-winter like. So you must understand my frustration that my virtually new Warrior is un-rideable. My inclination is to request a new 04 as I have only had a chance to put on 1,000 miles on this one. Bought it at end of September because it had been sitting on the showroom floor for a year. No body wanted a red one until I came along.

Yamaha should offer me a new 04 right now. My motorcycle is useless as it is and no parts seem to be coming. The problem is that I have added a $2,500.00 paint job and various other expensive custom pieces. The sun is shining and the road beckons. I would make the point that I seriously considered spending a few more dollars and getting the HD V-rod, but was talked out of it by those who said that this “metric” was far superior in construction and durability. That obviously is not the case.

What is Yamaha willing to do to make me whole again? What incentive can you offer me to not dump this bike, and go to HD? Quality control issues that revolve around minor defects and that can be corrected over time are one thing, but something that could cause loss of life or at least severe injury is outrageous. Is this the Pinto for Yamaha? I think that potential liabilities for this division are significant and that as a marketing tool, every other bike manufacturer will jump on it. On a personal level I simply wonder is this just the tip of the iceberg? What other part may wear out prematurely and cause me to go down underneath a semi?

I need a response. And don't shuffle me off to staff. I want something tangible and meaningful from someone with authority. I'm a professional and I must take responsibility for my design and product. I would expect nothing less from Yamaha. You have too much to lose by being labeled as a maker of inferior motorcycles. The competition is too stiff.

Anxiously I wait to hear from you.

Vincent Dyer aia, architect

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think I am going to cry! I do not want to hear that the parts are on backorder. That is unacceptable. I would hate to see you buy a harley but if I can't ride mine in april or may I WILL CRY. Yamaha and I might end up getting a divorce. I live in Minnesota and I have nothing to look foreward to but riding. Riding is what keeps me alive. Or in my warriors case, just might kill me!
Collin

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I feel your pain brother, but not sure exactly what you are expecting. You are not getting a new bike. To everyone, this sucks I know. I just bought a new Subaru WRX and within a month I got hit by an uninsured, unregistered, etc motorist. After two freaking months in the shop, I get the car back with a terrible paint job... its back in the shop for another try but the car will never be the same, and no one to blame. The Tranny recall is a bad stroke of luck. It does not affect handling, HP, or longevity of the bike. Man, i'm less worried about the tranny than I am of the deer where I live or of the wanna be fast and furious kids around here. But hey, if any of you would rather switch brands, rock on. You are always free to buy another bike based on any number of criteria... including the reputation of the manufacture.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Vincent, go get your bike, ride it like you stole it, when yamaha gets the parts make an appointment, then take your bike in on the day of the appointment, have them slap in some new pistons, maybe a bigbore kit, pick bike up when done and ride some more. Getting tired of people crying over spilt milk that's still in the bottle.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't think you need to sell the bike. The MSRP on a somewhat comparable Harley would be about another 5 to 7 thousand dollars more that the cost of the Warrior. So slap the extra money into the Yamaha when it is in the shop. You will be left with a far superior bike and will forget about all the problems when you get back on the road.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I checked trade-in and retail price on 2002 warriors and it was 6500 and 8500 respectively.I just paid mine off and I have a warranty until 2007 so I'm probably gonna keep it.Its a screwed up situation and I like others on this forum are gonna weather the storm and come out on the other side with some bad ass bikes.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Columnman,

I'm currious,is this a copy of something you specificlly wrote to Yamaha yourself,or something you had seen in an article somewhere?

If it is you,well then.If your like the rest of us here who are diehard Warrior fans you'll be patient and wiat till your dealer has the parts needed and get it fixed when they're ready to service it.

There's something to think about here,there are Chavy,Ford,Harley and so on,Finatics out there that even when they're vehicle gets recalled.Be it a simple 1 or something that could pose life threatening results if not fixed asap,they don't just dump the car or Bike and stop buying products from that manufacturer all together.

It's an unfortunet hickup for our bikes,and we've gotta grin and bare it to get beyond it.Once it's fixed,it'll be as if you'ed never put any miles on it all.You'll be start'n out from scratch again,break-in period an all with some new internals,like it was brand new again.Not a bad deal when ya think about it,for those of us having had a 2002 since new, would have a slightly better resale value with new internals 3 yrs later at no cost to us,unless we chose to put bigger and better in during recall service.

Well worth the wait for those of us who are truly in love with this machine,to alot of us it's part of the family,and when a member if the family becomes I'll,ya just don't disown them,cause befor ya know it,they'll be back and feel'n even better than befor.

Good luck with what ever you decide on Columnman.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hi All,

I understand the frustration of going through this recalll, but what's the big deal? Yea, it sucks that a few bikes may lock up in some indeterminate future, and I hope nobody gets hurt if/when happens. This recall is a stand up effort to prevent that possible future. OK parts may be on backorder for a while. OK it may take a month or three to get it fixed. So what? I bought my bike because it was a great balance of power, handling, comfort, and value. Has any of this changed due to the recall? Nope. Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see how a recall brings up this much rage. For all of those who want to go HD, go ahead. It's less likely that a 100 year old design will have a recall, but it's definately not out of the question. Just my .02.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I agree with you fully Dontcare... enough already. If your anxiety level is this high then move on to another brand. As for me - I'm still riding it like I stole it, 100-110mph this past week. Theory is... when it's my time it's my time, but until then I'm going to enjoy what I can. Besides there are more important things in life to be concerned about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts