RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sucks but it finally happened to my wife. She had an accident - and in a big way! She ended up driving into a ditch on the side of the road while trying to tell an on coming car that more bikes (namely me) were coming around a curve. Unfortunately when she drove into the ditch she hit the end of an 18” culvert. This catapulted her down the road and temporarily stopped the bike, but ultimately she and the bike traveled down the road. I saw all of this as it happened and realized as the bike is coming apart (gas tank came dislodged, seat and tail bag flew off, and miscellaneous parts are flying around) that I needed an escape route. My greatest fear was that I would hit her bike and crash right there or I might jump it and end up hitting her. I figured that I would throw my bike into the same ditch but we were past the culvert by this time and I could get around the wreck and her. I thought I was going to make it but when she came to a stop she was by the edge of the road and I realized that I was going to hit her in the helmet with my foot peg. I figured for the worst, but was shocked that after I stopped and was running back she was getting up off the road, but still you never know and I had to make her sit down. We were lucky that we were riding with other people so that they could help with watching out for traffic, picking up the bike and parts, making sure we were both ok, and such.

She’s banged up pretty good – her one knee is swollen and black and blue along with an elbow, and she says her neck hurts (I guess it would with a floorboard to the head). Doc says she screwed up her knee good and may need surgery, but we won’t know for several of weeks.

The Duc is totaled. The trellis frame is pulled out of the neck by 4” to 6” on one side, and the other side is cracked 2/3 of the way through. The front wheel won’t turn and it’s jammed back against the engine. Amazingly though the bike still runs. Our insurance company took care of it right away and gave us the checks for the bike and her gear (helmet, gloves, full riding suit). I also ended up losing the mini floor board that I hit her with and they are back ordered until the middle of December.

Here are some pics

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife and wishes for a speedy recovery.Glad everyone is ok for the most part anyway

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Wow, sure glad she is o.k. to live to tell the tale. Just like in the other thread about helmet use. Good thing she had hers on.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
WOW...Great job wearing full gear, it's a lifesaver. Thank God it wasn't worse.

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

(I bet you never hear then end of it after hitting her with your floorboard!...Someday you'll laugh about that.)

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Good to hear that you are all alive and on the mends. So what bike is she going to get with the insurance check. Some women will do anything to shop for something new. Prayers and thoughts go with you and your family.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
HOLY $#!+ WINZ

I am very sorry to hear about this. The Wife & I were talking about the both of you the other day. My Wife has been striving to get more time in the saddle so she can come out on group rides like the both of you do. She has even been eyeballing sportier bikes like “the one Winz Wife owns”. She will be heart broken when she hears this. Thankfully, for the both of you, your Wife had her helmet on.

****…
She loved that Duc.

·
Registered
989 Posts
**** Winz sorry to hear that. Glad to hear shewas able to walk away and will be OK. How fast was she going when she went down, that frametorn apart like that isnutz. Best of luck for a quick recovery, atleastshe has all winterto heal up. I hope she can get back in the saddle again quickly.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I had thought that I was going to clear the bike and her, but then I realized that I was going to hit her in the head - it was like F*CK. When I finally stopped and got of the bike I truly expected the worst - kind of scary. Now I try to do everything around the house - cooking cleaning laundry - and I think she is taking advantage of it - but again I feel so bad. She said to me she thinks she can draw this out to atleast christmas.

It was funny but at the accident seen she started to talk about a different new bike which suprised me since she loved that bike (had to have that one when we were at the dealer). But when the hauler came to the house the other day to pick up the bike, and he drug(?) it onto the hauler like a dead carcass i could see that the flood gates were about to open - so I think she is going to miss it.

The accident happened as she was going through a left hand sweeper and she was doing about 40 MPH. Usually I would not have been behind her, but it was early in the morning, I was tired, and I was using her a governer. We were on one of my favorite roads which I am usually tearing up.

the thing that reaffirms my faith in man or at least the biking community is taht every bike that came past stopped to see if everyone was ok and if there was anything that they could do, which is hude when you consider how many cars you see on the side of the road broken down and nobody stops to lend a hand.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Geez, that was gut wrenching to read and see those pictures.....I'm sure glad it turned out as good as it did. Scary stuff. Hope she heals fast.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Glad to hear it wasn't worse, and I can only imagine what was going through your head seeing it and then knowing you were going to hit her. My prayers are out to both of you.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
That sends chills through me. To think of how it could have turned out. And if you had been just a few inches into a different line, it may have been more than your mini floor board to hit her. I am so glad that you both will heal completely and that she is still with you. Don't worry about the Duc, there is a outfit in Italy that will gladly send you another one. Bikes are replaceable, people are not.

Jabo

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Winz.
My Wife sends well wishes for a speedy recovery and adds a suggestion to "draw this out" past christmas.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
That's outstanding that this didn't turn out worse! As weird as it is considering what happened I can't help but feel really glad for you two. That first picture speaks volumes for wearing a full helmet versus a shorty. That's pretty funny that even at the scene she was able to joke about getting to buy another bike. Maybe it is true, maybe women really WILL do anything to go shopping??

·
Registered
406 Posts
Obviously, it was a terrible experience for your wife...but I can't even imagine what it had to feel like to watch your wife go down right in front of you...thenattempt to steer clear of her. Friggin' SCARY! Very happy everyone is okay.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again everyone for the kind thoughts and prayers.

We've been to the Chiropractor and theFamily Docand tomorrow we are off to the Orthopedic Doc. They think so far she may have torn her miniscus(?) in her knee, but won't be certain until the swelling and blood clears out of the knee. We will wait to see what the orthopedic says but it has been eluded to that she may need to have her knee operated on.

Yesterday she was thinking of getting two different kinds of bikes to ride (one for around town and maybe one to tour on). I told her that until Uncle George backs up that dump truck with the bail out money to our door that she was going to have to work within the insurance money we got. TWO BIKES,
!

BTW, does anyone know how much laundry detergent goes into the laundry and do you layer white colors white colors, or can you just mix them all together?

·
Administrator
29,664 Posts
From the looks of things she's very lucky, and so are you. She should drag it out until after the holidays its going to take time for that kind of injury to heal completely to avoid re-injury later. Plus winter is coming. I'm very happy you are all okay. Maybe she is ready for a Warrior!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts