RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice before getting serious about getting a new bike.

I've been riding for about 7 years now and have owned a Ducati 748s and a Triumph Daytona 955i. I haven't owned a bike for almost a year now and I'm starting to go through withdrawls [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

I've been thinking of a cruiser because even though I'm not a big guy (5'9" 180lbs), I get back and wrist pains when I've been the saddle for over an hour or two. I only get to ride two or three days a month, so when I do get a chance to get on the road I like to ride for at least 3-4 hours without stopping.

I like bikes that stand out in a crowd, but they've got to deliver when you twist the grip, so the Warrior seems to be my most logical choice. I do have some questions though and hope you guys don't mind if they've been asked before.

When I bought my Daytona I was able to ride a dealer demo bike for a few hours. Do any Yamaha dealerships offer such a thing?

My budget is only $8k, so I'm going to have to buy used. Other than having the recalls addressed, is there anything else I need to look for? Common issues or signs of abuse?

Any adjustments needed with altitude? I live in Denver and may be buying a bike from out of state.

and finally, Other than the forums here, craigslist and cycletrader, can anyone reccomend a good trustworthy site for buying a bike?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm really looking forward to getting back in the saddle!!! [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well as far as the Altitude there should be no adjustments. It is fuel injected. Cycle trader is a good site to look even E-Bay should help ya out a bit.

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
If the bike has a PCIII and has been dyno tuned from a very different altitude from where you are you might want to look into getting it retuned. But it should still run ok regardless. The engine on the warrior is bulletproof and there are no major mechanical issues to worry about other than the recalls. Even if the bike hasnt been in for the recalls yet its a simple matter that any yammi dealer should take care of for free.

If your looking for off the line uber grin factor there are very few bikes that can provide more of that than the warrior. IMO its the perfect balance between cruiser and sports bike. But then again, im a bit biased. lol

Good luck in your search, many many members have had good luck with ebay. I would suggest you start there and try to actually talk to the seller in person or on the phone before putting your deposit down.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hey Dog, I came from a Ducati as well. Yours was a bit sportier than mine as you had the 748S and mine was the 900SS. Still, the Warrior was a big difference. Better riding position. You can ride longer, but you're not going to go 3-4 hours non-stop. You will have to stop for gas....stretch and then get back on. Cycletrader, ebay and this forums classifieds are a good place to look. When you find one, post it up here and ask us to take a look at it. Everyone here is extremely helpful. Good luck![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
173 Posts
Trust me,the Warrior is so fricken SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET !!!!!!!!! I just got 1 & am kicking my Harley 2 the curb.I've had gixers, TL 1000 R's, Busas, AND this bike is like a sweet Hybrid.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The warrior is a good choice. I dont feel sore after a few hours of riding until I get off of the bike. Then I am just stiff. But nothing like sporty hunchback. Its a great bike though. good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies & advice.

The Triumph and the Ducati were both sportbikes, so I think even a slight improvement in how much I was leaning forward on to the bars would help w/ my back & wrists.

That's why I was hoping I could ride a demo bike for an hour or two.

I'm planning on talking to at least one of the dealerships here in town before the end of the week. Might even get me motivated to buy new??? maybe.

D

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
quote:Originally posted by RobRiguez

If your looking for off the line uber grin factor there are very few bikes that can provide more of that than the warrior. IMO its the perfect balance between cruiser and sports bike. But then again, im a bit biased. lol

Sums it up perfectly. I would go secondhand with the main mods already done. Save yourself a small fortune![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Sums it up perfectly. I would go secondhand with the main mods already done. Save yourself a small fortune!

That's my plan. I'll see how I get on at the dealerships this weekend. Hoping for a used one, but may have to wait a while. I guess it will come down to how patient I am. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] [/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Check out ebay mate. There seems to be a few that come up. You may have to travel to get it but the savings could be good.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Best advice I can Give!!!

http://www.rswarrior.com/Gallery/ohiomike.aspx

·
Registered
240 Posts
Each person is different, but the Warrior helped my body a lot,no more hurting hips or wrists. Still get the shi* grin when I ride the Warrior.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I live in Calgary which is at a very high altitude. I know it compares with Denver and Bolder altitude wise (our air port is the highest in North America) and my bike always runs great. I've had it through the Bear Tooth Pass at 11,000 feet of altitude without a hickup. Wrist and back comfort is good on my bike but the seat can be a bit trying at times and I'm 47. I do swear it has gotten more comfortable over the years, I'm not sure weather I broke the seat in or the other way around.
As has been stated this machine is pretty bullit proof, I would have no hesitation about buying used.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I had numb wrist on my FZ1, my entire hand would go numb after about a half hour. It was caused by the riding position, not my back, but the way you have to hold your head up on a sportbike, compresses your vertabre. The up right seating position of the Warrior solved my problems. And made my riding much more enjoyable because this bike is so much fun to ride.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
No problems with altutude as many have said... Check for recalls as soon as you get it, but you should have no problem at the local yammi dealer with those if they arent done yet.

As to what to look for.... Look for even front tire wear, and look at the rubber on the clutch and brake lines to see if it has been stored outside. Thats the main thing I would avoid... otherwise, if it has over 15k on it you need to see the service record for the big service or you will be shelling out 600-800$ for the full service at a dealership. tires arent cheap, so try and get one with newer tires (otherwise get them discounted). find out if the spring has been replaced, pciii, intakes, exhaust, etc....

There are many folks here who can help you know what you should pay for one once you know whats on it. Believe it or not, farkles (if in good condition) can be worth a bit of a premium since they cost so **** much.

JT

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the advice.

I looked at 3 bikes yesterday, got 2 to look at today. Unless one of the 2 I look at today is amazing I think I've already made up my mind.

Found a sweet '06 w/only 1000mi for $9000. Only upgrade is a Vance/Hines exhaust, so that leaves plenty for me to do on my own.

D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts